Cherry shrimp came with eggs - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TimB172

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cherry shrimp came with eggs

My fishless cycle is complete on my planted tank, so I decided to get a few shrimp to help keep things clean down there on the bottom. Petco only had 2 cherry shrimp, so I got them both and a couple of amanos to start with. When I got the little guys home, I noticed one of the cherries was not a guy, but a girl and she has a clutch of eggs under her. My question is, are they likely to survive? Will I have a shrimp explosion? I've never kept shrimp before, so I don't know what to expect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 07:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You might! You might also not. It depends on how different your tank water is from the tank water of the store. If the eggs survive, the shrimplets will graze on the aufwuchs (biofilm) in the tank, so no worries about feeding any more than necessary!

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply, and I'll keep my fingers crossed. If I don't end up with a bunch of free shrimp, that's cool too. I wanted a small group of them, not an army, lol. Although, the more I watch them, the more I think about doing an all shrimp tank in the future, they are pretty cool little creatures.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update: They hatched! I had given up, because the female cherry molted and according to google, the eggs don't usually survive that. Sadly, she just up and died a few days after that. all of the other shrimp are still healthy and active, so I don't know what caused it. Anyway, I was doing a weekly water change today and spotted at least 3 tiny little red shrimp. I hope I didn't suck any up the gravel vacuum.
Econde likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode