Chili Rasbora fish tuberculosis? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Chili Rasbora fish tuberculosis?

Heavily planted tank, Chili rasbora have been in tank for around 1 month, while otos and RCS are there for over 6 months.

Noticed the curved spine on this Chili rasbora in recently (this week), does it look like fish TB? It's spine was perfectly fine when I first got it, expect for one of its eyes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6349.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	902763  

Name:	DSC_6354.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	902765  

Name:	DSC_6355.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	902767  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 09:32 AM
Algae Grower

They should be lethargic, skinny, and wasting away if it is t.b.
Here is an article by Diana Walstad about it.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/dianawa...rium-fish/amp/
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novato View Post
They should be lethargic, skinny, and wasting away if it is t.b.
Here is an article by Diana Walstad about it.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/dianawa...rium-fish/amp/
Thanks for your clarification. He is actively swimming and eating, waiting for food every time I go nearby. So maybe he's not sick?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 12:10 PM
Algae Grower

It could be a mild case of t.b. Apparently there are a number of strains with different types of presentation. Feeding a variety of foods including live is one way to boost their immune system. I missed the eye pop as that is also a t.b. sign.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Is feeding a variety of food with live food and monitor it the only way? any medication/treatment that might help them?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
The appearance of a curved spine can also be evident in many other situations of disease/parasites. When a fish becomes emaciated, then the loss of body mass makes the fish appear to have a curved spine.
If the fish is still actively eating, I wouldn't think it would be TB, but an internal parasite. I would try feeding with API General Cure which is a combination of praziquantel and metronidazole. This will treat for flatworms and protozoa. To feed the General Cure, would use a binder like Seachem Focus or a food-grade gelatin like Knox gelatin. The binder makes sure the medicine adheres to food when gets dropped in water.

Is the eye swollen only on one side or both?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
The appearance of a curved spine can also be evident in many other situations of disease/parasites. When a fish becomes emaciated, then the loss of body mass makes the fish appear to have a curved spine.
If the fish is still actively eating, I wouldn't think it would be TB, but an internal parasite. I would try feeding with API General Cure which is a combination of praziquantel and metronidazole. This will treat for flatworms and protozoa. To feed the General Cure, would use a binder like Seachem Focus or a food-grade gelatin like Knox gelatin. The binder makes sure the medicine adheres to food when gets dropped in water.

Would general cure work with repashy and would it be good to feed when quarantining?

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
Would general cure work with repashy and would it be good to feed when quarantining?
I havent used repashy. Does it have gelatine or some type of binder in its ingredients?

I only treat with metronidazole proactively with South American cichlids because they are so prone to protozoa in the gut. I feel that other fish- tetras, rasboras, corydoras, etc,,, dont need this.

I often treat with Praziquantel ( I use Hikari Prazipro) for tapeworm. Praziquantel is a very mild anti-parasitic drug that is harmless to fish. This will take care of common gut worms that you often dont notice until the parasite has gotten so bad it has led to a secondary bacterial infection or even a blockage.

So, to answer your question- yes, if you have South American cichlids (Discus, angels, geophagus, biotodoma cupidos, rams, etc...) I would proactively treat with General Cure.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:

Thank you for your reply!
The left eye is swollen I suppose, as the right side looks normal when comparing with other chili rasbora. The belly seems to be sunken.
I only have paraguard and some fenbendazole leftover when I was treating the tank for planaria over 6 months ago. Maybe I should start with paraguard?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I havent used repashy. Does it have gelatine or some type of binder in its ingredients?

I only treat with metronidazole proactively with South American cichlids because they are so prone to protozoa in the gut. I feel that other fish- tetras, rasboras, corydoras, etc,,, dont need this.

I often treat with Praziquantel ( I use Hikari Prazipro) for tapeworm. Praziquantel is a very mild anti-parasitic drug that is harmless to fish. This will take care of common gut worms that you often dont notice until the parasite has gotten so bad it has led to a secondary bacterial infection or even a blockage.

So, to answer your question- yes, if you have South American cichlids (Discus, angels, geophagus, biotodoma cupidos, rams, etc...) I would proactively treat with General Cure.

Repashy is a powder that you mix with boiling water and let it settle which results in a jello-like food, so yes it has gelatin. However, you answered my next question about feeding prophylactically. I may mix some in with my next batch that I feed the angels with or I may get some Parzipro. My tank population is stable, so I'm not worried about introducing pathogens with new stock. Would you recommend Parzipro as a general treatment?

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
Would you recommend Parzipro as a general treatment?
Yes. I use Prazipro as a prophylactic for all my fish.

Amy
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 10:20 PM
Algae Grower

feed him a ton of garlic too. poach the fish food in seachem garlic gaurd and mince very fine garlic and mix it with the food great immune support for sick fish
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks I will try. The fish is still eating but become less active recently. Noticed that the spine is a little curved when looking at the top, and he is sometimes leaning towards one side. Looking from the top he is very thin and with sunken belly, not so optimistic.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode