Chili Rasbora fish tuberculosis? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2020, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Did you try the suggestions already made?
I got some anti parasitic medication today since I cannot get API General Cure at where I am nor on Amazon. The direction is to treat the water column for 3 days. I'll see if they get better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Did you try the suggestions already made?
Unfortunately, one of them died from swim bladder disorder, with bloated stomach and loss of appetite. Will this be related to the other deaths or symptoms (sunken belly but actively eating ones)?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon121314 View Post
I got some anti parasitic medication today since I cannot get API General Cure at where I am nor on Amazon. The direction is to treat the water column for 3 days. I'll see if they get better.
3 day treatment will take care of any flatworms due to active ingredient praziquantel. However, if it is a protozoan infection, it is the metronidazole that is needed for that. General Cure does contain both active ingredients, but its misleading for users ( that 3 days treatment is all that is needed) because protozoan infections should be treated for 10 days. Also, metronidazole breaks down quickly in the aquarium-- so, its better to feed this medication in food with a binder like Seachem Focus or a food grade gelatin like Knox.

Bump:
Quote:
Unfortunately, one of them died from swim bladder disorder, with bloated stomach and loss of appetite. Will this be related to the other deaths or symptoms (sunken belly but actively eating ones)?
Internal parasites can be consistent with both the swim bladder infection and the sunken in belly of actively eating ones.

As a parasite infection progresses, a fish can either get on obstruction due to worms in gut, leading to secondary bacterial infection or the swollen belly/swim bladder issues can be a sign of internal organs shutting down from internal bacterial infection caused by parasite. Parasites are the underlying cause but it is infection or obstruction and infection that lead to death.

A lot of times the first indication one has of fish with parasites is a sunken in belly while still actively eating. Most of the time this will be tapeworm and 3 days of prazi will take care of it. But, sometimes, it can also be protozoan. To be sure, try 3 days of the General Cure in feed and look for the fish to dispel worms. if you pay attention, especially about 12- 24 hours later after feeding, you will be able to confirm a flatworm diagnosis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
A lot of times the first indication one has of fish with parasites is a sunken in belly while still actively eating. Most of the time this will be tapeworm and 3 days of prazi will take care of it. But, sometimes, it can also be protozoan. To be sure, try 3 days of the General Cure in feed and look for the fish to dispel worms. if you pay attention, especially about 12- 24 hours later after feeding, you will be able to confirm a flatworm diagnosis.
Thank you for your very detailed explanation. After a 24 hours treatment of anti parasitic med (as I cannot find API general cure anywhere) on both (sunken belly and swim bladder one), I can hardly see any feces at the bottom of the separated tank. And now the sunken belly one stopped responding to any food and looking to be weaker than before, is it already too late?

Should I continue the treatment and should I treat the remaining group while they look healthy as preventive measure? I'm afraid this will stress them more.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2020, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Thank you for your very detailed explanation. After a 24 hours treatment of anti parasitic med (as I cannot find API general cure anywhere) on both (sunken belly and swim bladder one), I can hardly see any feces at the bottom of the separated tank. And now the sunken belly one stopped responding to any food and looking to be weaker than before, is it already too late?

Should I continue the treatment and should I treat the remaining group while they look healthy as preventive measure? I'm afraid this will stress them more.
What are active ingredients of anti-parasitic med?

By the time they stop eating you are dealing with internal bacterial infection.

You can treat with antibiotic kanamycin (active ingredient in Seachem Kanaplex).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode