When to move fish out of quarantine after ich? - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
When to move fish out of quarantine after ich?

I want to move one fish out of QT to break up some bullying, but I am worried it's too soon. Help me weigh pros and cons!

Here's the set up: I ordered chili rasbora and endlers together and they came in 2.5 weeks ago. The endlers looked fine on arrival, but the chili rasbora were covered in ich. Both groups went directly into my quarantine tank (so glad I had it set up!) and I treated everybody with Ich-X and some salt with daily water changes. Two rasbora died pretty quickly, but everybody else seemed to pull through and it's been more than a week since I have seen any sign of ich, but I kept treating beyond the recommended length of time because I'm paranoid and I'm not sure there's any real downside.

The endlers never showed any sign of ich, but the three smaller ones pester the larger one constantly. I want to move the larger one into my community tank so he can enjoy some "alone" time away from the group and continue to monitor everybody else in QT for a while longer, but obviously I don't want ich in my main tank. What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 05:53 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleDee View Post
I want to move one fish out of QT to break up some bullying, but I am worried it's too soon. Help me weigh pros and cons!

Here's the set up: I ordered chili rasbora and endlers together and they came in 2.5 weeks ago. The endlers looked fine on arrival, but the chili rasbora were covered in ich. Both groups went directly into my quarantine tank (so glad I had it set up!) and I treated everybody with Ich-X and some salt with daily water changes. Two rasbora died pretty quickly, but everybody else seemed to pull through and it's been more than a week since I have seen any sign of ich, but I kept treating beyond the recommended length of time because I'm paranoid and I'm not sure there's any real downside.

The endlers never showed any sign of ich, but the three smaller ones pester the larger one constantly. I want to move the larger one into my community tank so he can enjoy some "alone" time away from the group and continue to monitor everybody else in QT for a while longer, but obviously I don't want ich in my main tank. What would you do?
When treating ich they will fall to the ground on the substrate and stay there till the environment change to the best for him again, do really good water changes.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Depends on temperature of your tank.
What is your temp set at?
victorusaconte likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 05:54 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Depends on temperature of your tank.

What is your temp set at?
Temperature and kh is important when treating ich, nice one dude

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorusaconte View Post
When treating ich they will fall to the ground on the substrate and stay there till the environment change to the best for him again, do really good water changes.

This is actually incorrect. Ich parasite is host-dependent. It cannot survive in substrate and must complete its life-cycle with a host in order to survive,

Bump:
Quote:
Temperature and kh is important when treating ich, nice one dude

Im female
Econde and mourip like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 05:59 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
This is actually incorrect. Ich parasite is host-dependent. It cannot survive in substrate and must complete its life-cycle with a host in order to survive,

Bump:
Im female
Stages of its life cycle are not on the fish

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Stages of its life cycle are not on the fish

Yes, you are correct. But, these stages must continue- they do not go into a latent or dormant state outside the host. [There are examples where an encysted parasite can go latent on the host under gill cover or skin, but it is very rare.]
But, the cysts, when they fall to substrate to reproduce are only there long enough to do just that- reproduce. The pace of this reproduction is temperature dependent. But, even at low temperatures ( like in an outdoor pond) like, at 50 degrees, for example, the parasite is actively reproducing itself to go to the next stage-- the free-swimming stage.

As this attached article demonstrates:

"To complete its life cycle, Ich requires from less than 4 days (at temperatures higher than 75oF or 24oC) to more than 5 weeks (at temperatures lower than 45oF or 7oC)."

https://aquaculture.ca.uky.edu/sites/aquaculture.ca.uky.edu/files/srac_476_ich_white_spot_disease.pdf
chrisg likes this.

Amy
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 06:40 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. But, these stages must continue- they do not go into a latent or dormant state outside the host. [There are examples where an encysted parasite can go latent on the host under gill cover or skin, but it is very rare.]
But, the cysts, when they fall to substrate to reproduce are only there long enough to do just that- reproduce. The pace of this reproduction is temperature dependent. But, even at low temperatures ( like in an outdoor pond) like, at 50 degrees, for example, the parasite is actively reproducing itself to go to the next stage-- the free-swimming stage.

As this attached article demonstrates:

"To complete its life cycle, Ich requires from less than 4 days (at temperatures higher than 75oF or 24oC) to more than 5 weeks (at temperatures lower than 45oF or 7oC)."

https://aquaculture.ca.uky.edu/sites/aquaculture.ca.uky.edu/files/srac_476_ich_white_spot_disease.pdf
Ok os dont do the water changes cleaning the bottom, just pray for it .

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Ok os dont do the water changes cleaning the bottom, just pray for it .

Yes, of course, anything you can do to lower the parasite load like water changes and vacuuming helps.

No, prayer will be unlikely to help.
Econde, evil8, chrisg and 2 others like this.

Amy
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 08:05 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Yes, of course, anything you can do to lower the parasite load like water changes and vacuuming helps.

No, prayer will be unlikely to help.
Lol

Discusluv likes this.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is one time where a heater would have been useful. My tanks are running at 72 +/- a degree, maybe a little higher after some water changes because it's been so warm it's coming out of the tap at 74 or 75.

The directions for Ich-X suggest a 25% WC every day before treatment and I have been vacuuming while I do that. It's bare bottom, so there's no substrate.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would wait a full 2 weeks after all signs of parasite have gone at that temperature.
Mr. Limpet, Leeatl and ElleDee like this.

Amy
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 09:54 PM
Planted Member

For sure, the majority of cases are related with cold environments, increase that thing and u will be good again.
Success

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Can I make a suggestion that might help with the question? I do not favor moving the fish so soon as it is really risky to push on ich. Waiting is almost always far better than risking being a day too soon and possibly having it in the main tank. Advantages too small for the very large risks involved so I do other things.
Fish being harassed, is often a matter of poor tank setup when dealing with this type fish. Fish stress IS very bad, so how about adding a jumble of various cover to let anybody who needs rest go for it? You are correct in wanting the bare bottom and less cover does let you check the fish easier but when looking at the two options, I would favor going with more cover over possibly moving the fish too soon and getting ich where you don't want it. Keep in mind that there may be one single little ich hiding out like under a gill cover where you can't see it but a week more of QT will tell the story.
For that type/size fish, plastic cups turned over and a rock added makes quick, cheap, and easy cover that you can peek in as well as clean around without much trouble. If you observe the fish may need a backdoor, cut half the bottom out? PVC pipe if on hand? A variety will be good and let tehm choose what they like best.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I ended up leaving all fish in the QT and adding a bunch more anacharis trimmings and hardscape with java moss and the endler's have chilled out significantly. The larger one never separated himself from the group, but the additional cover has had a calming effect on the whole tank. There's still no sign of an ich resurgence, but I'm happy to leave them in here another week or two, especially if they all seem happier.

Thanks for the advice, y'all! I'm such a beginner with fish and really appreciate being able to tap into people with more experience.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode