When to move fish out of quarantine after ich? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sounds good! Hope it works well for you and one thing I might pass on is how much better I get along with my fish if I try to watch and really understand some of what looks so weird at times. Not to get too involved with saying fish do the same as humans because they do have lots of different responses but there are some things that I can see which totally work the same as it does with us.
Their reactions are often more basic than us, like they rarely fall in love, nor hate each other but they do react to things we might call near the same.
If they get beat up by a fish, they may avoid that fish, while we might say we hate them. So when we see a fish doing something odd, like hiding in the corner, be aware they may be doing the same thing we do when we don't feel good!
That puts us finding lots of value in just watching our fish for what is "normal" and "odd" as that is often the first clue to something we may need to change. If the fish is hiding to avoid the bully, we need to react differently than if he is hiding because he has a big white spot on his head? If you suddenly find a pair of egg laying fish who have always been peaceful and now are terrible and one of them is fat, it's a different thing than just them becoming jerks!
Take the time to watch your fish and ask why they are doing things.
ElleDee likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Sounds good! Hope it works well for you and one thing I might pass on is how much better I get along with my fish if I try to watch and really understand some of what looks so weird at times. Not to get too involved with saying fish do the same as humans because they do have lots of different responses but there are some things that I can see which totally work the same as it does with us.
Their reactions are often more basic than us, like they rarely fall in love, nor hate each other but they do react to things we might call near the same.
If they get beat up by a fish, they may avoid that fish, while we might say we hate them. So when we see a fish doing something odd, like hiding in the corner, be aware they may be doing the same thing we do when we don't feel good!
That puts us finding lots of value in just watching our fish for what is "normal" and "odd" as that is often the first clue to something we may need to change. If the fish is hiding to avoid the bully, we need to react differently than if he is hiding because he has a big white spot on his head? If you suddenly find a pair of egg laying fish who have always been peaceful and now are terrible and one of them is fat, it's a different thing than just them becoming jerks!
Take the time to watch your fish and ask why they are doing things.
Yeah, I've already had situations where I think I've overreacted to fish behavior and situations where I've underreacted, but I've tried to learn from both and get better calibrated to what is normal and what isn't. It's not rocket science, but there's a lot of nuance and different situations that can crop up, and I'm sure each species is a little different.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
One of the things which has kept me in the game so long is moving from one group to others. Cichlids are a very large group and they have been my favorite for a very long time as there are so many different cichlids that I'm not likely to ever get around to even one out of the various sub-groups.
Most of us know about the common angelfish as we see them so much but if we are used to some group like the egg scattering groups like tetra, we can get into a whole different set of watching if we study some of the reasons each group may do things.
Just the whole breeding method of prepping a site, doing the courtship, laying and fertilizing the eggs is a full lesson BEFORE the eggs hatch! After can then be a whole realm of it's own if we choose to raise any of the fry. Watching some of the small calm cichlids herd a group of possibly a hundred fry around as they grow is quite a kick!
But that is what appeals to me and may not appeal to others as much but this hobby does have lots of room for looking for new things to do, so we can go as far as most of us will ever feel the need!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode