• 2 Post By JJ09
  • 1 Post By Bandit1200
  • 1 Post By Kubla

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Cory fry

In the past when my Corys laid eggs I just let them go and would usually end up with some that made it , however with the batch I have now none ever make it through . This last time they laid I moved the eggs to one of those fine mesh breeder boxes with the plastic frame . Lo and behold the eggs hatched and I have seen at least 6 fry and I am sure there are more . I have Salvinia floating on top for cover , but they seem to hang out under the the bottom of the frame and the mesh . Pic at end . I have been feeding them finely ground bottom feeder sticks and wafers . My question is should I just leave them in the mesh box till large enough to go in with the general population or should I find something else to put them in . I have one of those plastic breeder boxes , but I think they can swim out of it at their present size . There are always hungry Platys in the tank they are in now . TIA for any help or shared experience .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200825_163215_Film1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	902431  

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 05:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'd just keep them in there for now. I think the mesh breeder boxes tend to provide better water movement than the plastic breeder boxes, and there's the added bonus that the waste from the fry falls out of the mesh as well.
Alyssa likes this.

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yea , that's what I am thinking too . I just didn't want them to get crushed between the mesh and the plastic frame . I need more Corys and free is always a good thing....lol

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've raised countless cory fry exactly that way. The only other thing I do is I have the output of a sponge filter flowing into the top of the breeder net. Before the eggs hatch I have the flow at maximum to keep fresh water on the eggs. After they hatch I turn the flow way down to a trickle to prevent the fry from getting blown around but still provide a positive flow of fresh water into the net area. I feed them Hikari First Bites until they're bigger and I start feeding manually crumbled flake food. I usually let them stay in the net until the next batch of eggs get laid on the glass, then I dump them out and start the next cycle.
Alyssa and Leeatl like this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post
I've raised countless cory fry exactly that way. The only other thing I do is I have the output of a sponge filter flowing into the top of the breeder net. Before the eggs hatch I have the flow at maximum to keep fresh water on the eggs. After they hatch I turn the flow way down to a trickle to prevent the fry from getting blown around but still provide a positive flow of fresh water into the net area. I feed them Hikari First Bites until they're bigger and I start feeding manually crumbled flake food. I usually let them stay in the net until the next batch of eggs get laid on the glass, then I dump them out and start the next cycle.
Thanks . I have the mesh box in front of an HOB output for the same reason . Not too much flow as the mesh slows it down , but allows clean water to pass through . How long does it usually take for the fry to get big enough to join the community ?

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The age/size depends on what else is in the tank and how much cover is available for them to hide. My main tank is a 75 with cories and endlers so mainly I leave them in the net to make sure they have a good food source. I feed them the First Bites 2-3 times a day until they're a bit bigger. Typically I just leave them until the next cory spawning, but I could let them out much sooner in that tank. What else is in the tank with them?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

They are in a 30 gal long with other Corys and a bunch of Platys . I will leave them in the net till they are big enough to fend for themselves . It is a heavily planted tank and I get many Platy fry when they decide to do their thing . After what you said I went and got some Hikiri First Bites , but I am not sure how to feed it . I just put a bit on the water in the net and let it sit for a bit then take my finger and touch it and that seems to send it to the bottom . I am afraid that it is just going through the mesh and into the tank . How do you feed the Hikiri ? I really appreciate your help . I have bred Corys before , but by accident....lol

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If it's heavily planted, you could turn them loose in a couple of weeks. They are pretty good at hiding in the weeds. The adult platies will most likely eat them given the opportunity, but since they mostly stay near the top and the cories will stay mostly at the bottom you will probably be fine letting them out whenever you feel like it. You could PROBABLY let them out now but it depends on what you want out of this batch. I used to stress over every single fry death, but I have so many cories now that while I still try to get as many as I can to adulthood, I don't stress so much when some of them don't make it. If you are determined to get absolute maximum survival rate, then leave them in there for a while.

As far as feeding them, I do pretty much what you said. I dip a fingertip in the water and then in the bag and then back in the water. What stuck to the fingertip is how much they get fed. Some of it does go right through the mesh, but it isn't so much that it will foul the water if it goes uneaten and/or gets sucked up into the filter. I also keep moss and baby anubias in the breeder net all the time so I also think/hope that there is plenty of stuff in there for them to nibble on as well. I do turn the filter output for a little while while feeding or it will flush all of it right out the bottom as soon as it settles. Honestly I'd be surprised if half of what I feed is actually consumed, but for me it's a small price to pay to keep my "herd". Everyone in the house and all the family that come over all love to see the cories. All the kids/grandkids want their own and I tell them when they can take care of a tank I'll give them some of the "herd" for their own.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Bandit1200 ,
I have moss and floaters and I figure they are getting micro food from these , plus whatever I feed them . They are growing as thy are easier to see now . I have had a herd in the past and it is fun to watch . Again , thanks for the help .

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Maybe add something to lay on the bottom of the mesh box they can hide under? I've raised a few cory fry in the same thing; I had oak leaf litter and subwassertang in mine. They seemed to like the cover on the floor of the box.
Bandit1200 and Tessa like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have a lot of Java Moss on the bottom , but I may try your ideas next time . I saw one swimming up the side of the mesh today so they are getting big enough to venture out....lol Still tiny though .

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
Maybe add something to lay on the bottom of the mesh box they can hide under? I've raised a few cory fry in the same thing; I had oak leaf litter and subwassertang in mine. They seemed to like the cover on the floor of the box.

I have moss on the bottom of mine like Leeatl.

How are they doing?
Leeatl likes this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

They seem to be doing fine Bandit1200 . They are growing , and are out and about more all the time . One of them is a lot bigger than the rest , guess he will be the boss....lol I have counted as many as 8 in one area but I think there are more . I just hope they are getting enough food . Can't wait till I can put some in my 30 and 75 and get the next batch going...lol I think they would be growing faster if I was feeding them freshly born brine shrimp . I have been giving them freeze dried blood worms , tubifex , and brine shrimp as well as the First Bites , but from what I have been reading the live brine have much more nutrition . I just don't want to spend the $ on a hatchery and the hassle of hatching them . I may change my mind before the next time they lay eggs .

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 12:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Might be a good idea to release them after dark with the lights out. Give them a chance to get cover without being chased down.
Leeatl likes this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I fed the fry this morning and I noticed that most of the First Bites went to the bottom then out through the net . So I took an old medicine bottle top , weighed down with a stone , put it in the net . Then I mixed some First Bites with water and used a syringe to put some in the top . Man they came a running . Makes we wonder if they have been getting any of the food I have been putting in . Maybe now they will really start to grow...lol I recorded a video , but I get a missing token error when I try to post , then get another error when I try to report the original problem . I tried 4 different browsers with the same result so I gave up .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode