Cory fry - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
How are the fry coming along? They should be a decent size by now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Three of them are doing great and growing well . They are in the tank now . I had about 20 to start and got these 3 up to size , but the others quit eating and were dying at the rate of 1 or 2 a day so when they got to 5 I put them in my heavily planted 30 gal . I guess they didn't make it cause I haven't seen them since . I don't know what went wrong , but they layed again and I have 3 in the net breeder . They are eating good and growing . We'll see . Thanks for asking .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
It happens like that sometimes, I can't guess why. Sometimes I can scrape up hundreds of eggs and it seems like they all hatch. Then as they come along they get fewer and fewer until when they're big enough to let out, there's only a handful left. Sometimes I get a much smaller batch of eggs and it seems like they almost all make it to a good size to let them loose. I don't think it's anything I do differently, I try to treat every batch of eggs I scrape up the same. As often as they lay in my tank, it's probably for the best that only some of them make it to adulthood. I still usually have plenty to give away to friends and family.

You'll probably be in the same position I suspect. Even if you only get 3 to adulthood from each batch, that's still going to give you a good supply of them for the foreseeable future. I started with only 3 of them about 12 years ago and I've never been without a good size "school" of them since. One of the parents long ago was an albino and I still get an occasional one to show up. I think I may get another couple of them to bring some new bloodline into my tank. After all this time the gene pool must be getting kind of weak.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode