Are my Neon’s gills too red? Do I need to do something? Or is he ok? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2020, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
So.... I was filming my fish eat tonight... as obviously people do.....

Then when I was rewatching the video, I noticed that one of my neon tetras has red gills.

All the tetras have been acting fine. My water params are normal (0/0/5) temp is the same as always.
My last water change was on Friday.

We’ve had these guys just a bit over a month.

But when I saw the video now I’m a bit concerned. I don’t think any of the other tetras have red gills.

Can a more experienced person take a look?
Is he alright?
Do I need to do something before it escalates? If so, what???

Video -

https://i.imgur.com/43myKB0.mp4

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ED306107-CDED-4D3B-9792-159D3740DBF7_1597624216693.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	902053  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2020, 04:51 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Hard to say for sure from the video but I've seen fish in which the gill plate just never fully developed. This doesn't seem to affect them much, but obviously you wouldn't want to use such a fish for breeding. This one seems to eat and appears healthy otherwise, my inclination would be to just keep an eye on her (pretty sure that's a female).

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 07:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If the breathing is fine (no slower or faster than the majority of the other fish), the fish will probably be fine. We can mark out chlorine/co2 exposure due to you not mentioning gasping at the surface, etc. And you take stellar care of your fish (as evidenced by that fat cory, and well filled out neon), so it seems like nothing to worry about.

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys for reassuring me.

He seems to be totally fine. Swimming, eating.
No fast breathing or any sort of abnormal behavior. (oh I have seen that when we first got the neons... I think it left me with PTSD to a point where I am now afraid to get any more)

I think the more I look at them the more I notice, even in this mixed school of neon/cardinals individual fish personalities.

I THINK this is the same fish that ďgoes to sleep earlyĒ and I think he was also the same runt neon except now he grew. He just... goes in the plants and goes pale to sleep before all the other ones. I honestly thought he was gonna be done but the next morning he is all colorful and perky and schooling and chasing. But then he is always the first one to go to sleep while the others are still kind of wandering about the tank picking at floaters 🙂

I spend quite a bit of time looking at these fish and it being a new tank and me being a new fish keeper (and never previously having any luck with neons back in the day) I get paranoid easily.

I just really want these little guys to live good lives. They bring a lot of enrichment to my life and I want to make sure, as I do for all my pets, that I do right by them as well 🙂

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
you wouldn't want to use such a fish for breeding.
Oh I have no intention of breeding them... I know thatís not always up to me with fish. Iím just interested in them being alive and healthy and happy 🙂

Weíve only had these fish for about a month And the tank since mid-June (this was a quarantine side-effect) and itís my return back to the hobby after almost 10 years. So I have so much to learn still. Breeding fish is not even a topic Iíve researched yet.

I just figured out I have budding staghorn algae lol so if my fish are ok Iím trying to figure how to deal with that now 🙂

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthyogeek View Post
(as evidenced by that fat cory, and well filled out neon)
Awww THATS so sweet.
I love my piglets and I am AMAZED by how fast my neons and cardinals have filled out. They were TINY when we got them.

As a guardian of a life, itís my job to care for them and I try my best. Watching them become little fish pigs is just wonderful 🙂

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-20-2020 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 08:33 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanaquarium View Post
Awww THATS so sweet.
I love my piglets and I am AMAZED by how fast my neons and cardinals have filled out. They were TINY when we got them.

As a guardian of a life, itís my job to care for them and I try my best. Watching them become little fish pigs is just wonderful 🙂
have the same opinion
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Fish are friends 🙂

I’m also finding a great interest in Aquatic plants. I’m a person that has “trouble” with plants in general... not a green thumb at all lol

But I’ve been reading and trying and they are doing ok. I think.

My last fish was a long lived red cap oranda so I’ve not had a planted tank since I was a small child (which my parents took care of) so this is literally my first planted.

I am enjoying it so much
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think he passed. 😞
I can’t find him but for 2 days I’ve only counted 13 tetras and only 4 out of 5 neons.

DAMN IT.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, we found him.
He jumped.

Either myself or dear husband left the lid open.

While I’m glad it wasn’t a disease, what a terrible way to go 😞
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanaquarium View Post
Well, we found him.
He jumped.

Either myself or dear husband left the lid open.

While Iím glad it wasnít a disease, what a terrible way to go 😞
Sad but the death was actually much better than dying from Covid 19 as it was over much quicker and did not require months of pain nor involve the possibility of a lifetime of damaged organs like brain, heart, and liver.
Nature is a mean mother!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode