My Otocinclus is a food possessive jerk - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lanaquarium

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A week ago we got 6 Otos.
They have been doing quite well, being little sucky lads.

It’s my first time keeping Otos and from everything I read about them they are the nicest fish and also quite hard to get to eat.

WELL.

one of my Otos is an absolute jerk.
He hangs out with the Coridoras instead of his own kind and during meal time harasses my poor piggies.

He will take over a wafer (I don’t even think it’s an algae one but a regular Cory wafer) and he will push all the Cories away from it. When they come near, he will sucker to them momentarily and they run away. It really seems like jerk-like behavior.

We put several (4 wafers in - 2 regular 2 algae) in different areas of the tank so no one has to fight. But it’s like he wants whatever they have.

I got tons of algae in my tank (I do not clean the back wall for them) and I add zucchini, which his brethren enjoy. It’s just this one, stirring trouble.

I was searching for this type of behavior and seems that in most threads it ends up being that the person got a Siamese or Chinese Algae Eater instead of an Oto. I do not think that’s my case.

Is this normal?
Just some friendly food competition?
Can he hurt my Cories by suckering on them for a second?
I read that Cories have some venomous spikes in their fins, can they hurt him?
Anything else I can do?

Here is a link to a video of him guarding the pellet. And that’s not even the worst I‘be seen, just did not have my phone near.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Xt0DpOT

Some more of him being a massive jerk https://imgur.com/gallery/htRIgxg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4B5C1E7E-9AFB-46C3-A725-520A259FBF4F_1596924906131.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	901815  

Name:	5EB152D9-F71B-4352-975B-43F735CED533_1596924933740.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	901817  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 11:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Normal feeding behavior. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 11:02 PM
Algae Grower

All fish have individual personalities. It just seems like you got a boisterous Otto. I would not be too concerned as it seems like his Cory advances are not injurious. Maybe he just wants to be a Cory. Your fish seem healthy and happy!

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tankful in Vancouver

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thatís really comforting guys, thanks.
Iím not sure I captured all of it on video (the latest are prob the best example) but he BITES the cories and they all run away.

Itís my first time with Otos so I wouldnít put it past myself to accidentally get another type of fish that was not suited for my tank.
Theyíre small and all look the same lol

But help me G-d, if I see ANY adverse affects of my Piglets, this guy is outta here so fast!No matter what he is.

Iím hoping he will settle down over time. Like a rescue dog lol It has only been a week.

So just to be ABSOLUTELY clear.

The fish in that video is an Otocinclus? 100%?
He wonít do harm to my Corydoras by sucking on to them and biting them in a feeding situation?
My Corydoras wonít harm him with their catfish poison?

Why do I keep having the most bizarre and unlikely tank adventures.

I donít know if this helps but my water parameters are ph-7 /ammonia- 0/ nitrites -0/ nitrates - 5. Temp is around 77F

I vac and therefore do 10-15% water changes 2x a week

I test the water every other day

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-09-2020 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 04:33 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanaquarium View Post
So just to be ABSOLUTELY clear.

The fish in that video is an Otocinclus? 100%?
He wonít do harm to my Corydoras by sucking on to them and biting them in a feeding situation?
My Corydoras wonít harm him with their catfish poison?

Why do I keep having the most bizarre and unlikely tank adventures.

Yes..... itís an Otto.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tankful in Vancouver
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok. So I got the rare jerk Oto.... figures lol
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 10:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Is the tank fairly new without too much algae? He could just be quite hungry. On my older established tanks my Otos don't even come down for wafers for the most part. But in newer tanks in the past they definitely did.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 12:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Enjoy seeing him . I have 6 in a 75 gal and I never see them unless I look around and then never more than 3 or 4 at any time .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 10:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sounds like you have an obstinate Oto on your hands. Normal though, they are not vicious or harmful just this one seems to be a bit of a weirdo. Embrace it.

Gary

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 12:32 AM
Algae Grower

My guess is he is starving. Just about any fish that has been underfed for a while will become 'aggressive' towards food. He will eventually settle down.
-
I had some clown loaches that were horrible underfed when i purchased them. I can tell you that docile clown loaches can be quite aggressive when hungry.
-
Anyway feed them well - mostly algae but they will also from time to time nibble protein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanaquarium View Post
Ok. So I got the rare jerk Oto.... figures lol
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

More of them started coming down for wafers now lol we see 3-4 on the ground for feeding time. All get pushy with our Cories.

The first one is still very “bitey” with the Cories but we’ve been adding 2 additional wafers and try to spread them farther away. They all end up pushed together anyway.

I think they will all be fine.
I should be glad I have Otos that eat algae wafers lol

Plus a hoard of a bunch of cat fish is rather fun to observe!

I think the Otos have plenty of food. They shouldn’t be starving. Unless they were REALLY starving when we first got them. We put in zucchini regularly and they go at it and there is certainly lots of algae on our back glass that I purposely do not clean. They did clean up all the plants tho. They looking nice and plump 🙂

Edit: during dinner time today allllll my catfish were picking at the wafers. All 6 Otos and all 6 cories. Maybe I should increase the number of wafers even more. But I always feel like I’m over feeding the fish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B5A0B550-8029-4A90-98C0-36B5D3CAD58B_1597356300483.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	901979  

Name:	B5301271-3484-4602-8DCB-103F216E3545_1597360917027.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	3.32 MB
ID:	901983  

Crazygar likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode