40B close to stocking - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
40B close to stocking

My 40B is nearing the end of its cycle, I'm just waiting for the nitrites to drop. My current stocking plan is for 12 Venezuelan corys, 3 red lizard whiptail cats, and 18-24 harlequin rasboras. I'll be ordering most, if not all online. My question is how should I order them? I'm thinking of either ordering the corys all at once, followed by the whiptails, lastly the rasboras. I don't want to overload the biological filter, but the catch is I don't have a quarantine tank set-up. I might get a 10g for the rasboras as I have a nightstand it can fit on and they're out of stock on them so it might be a while before I get them. The other catch is that it's not planted yet. Other than a tiger lotus I don't know what I want. The tank has a lot of rocks, so some anubias or buces are a possibility. Maybe a few rosette swords and some java moss. So any suggestions or thoughts welcome.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 09:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would do the rasboras first, Corydoras second and whiptails when you have a pretty substantial amount of algae already developing. Rasboras for me have definitely had health issues the past few years of ordering them so getting them first basically treats your main tank like a quarantine tank. I wouldn't introduce the Corydoras until I was sure the tank was cycled or use a product like Seachem Stability when introducing your new fish even if you have fishless cycled previously. Any nitrite spikes can knock out corys pretty quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
I would do the rasboras first, Corydoras second and whiptails when you have a pretty substantial amount of algae already developing. Rasboras for me have definitely had health issues the past few years of ordering them so getting them first basically treats your main tank like a quarantine tank. I wouldn't introduce the Corydoras until I was sure the tank was cycled or use a product like Seachem Stability when introducing your new fish even if you have fishless cycled previously. Any nitrite spikes can knock out corys pretty quickly.
Thanks. What kind of health problems have you had with rasboras? Of the 3 species, the rasboras are the one that I'm least invested in owning. I'm somewhat open to a smallish schooling fish for the mid/upper tank although I keep having the idea of just having the 2 catfish species.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 12:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

On the one hand in the past I have had them be excellent, hardy, starter fish for a tank. On the other hand the last few times I bought them they were prone to mouth infections and the last time I had them they and the other fish in the tank (small rainbowfish) kept getting Columnaris which I could not cure no matter what I did. Over time (drawn out over about a year and a half to two years) they died one by one. Super annoying.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
On the one hand in the past I have had them be excellent, hardy, starter fish for a tank. On the other hand the last few times I bought them they were prone to mouth infections and the last time I had them they and the other fish in the tank (small rainbowfish) kept getting Columnaris which I could not cure no matter what I did. Over time (drawn out over about a year and a half to two years) they died one by one. Super annoying.
Do you think it was specific to your supplier? Or could it be why nobody seems to have them at the moment?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 11:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
Do you think it was specific to your supplier? Or could it be why nobody seems to have them at the moment?
It is possible that the problem was the dwarf neon rainbows and they were just innocent victims but I'm not sure. On a whole I feel better about wild caught fish than those raised over many generations in fish farms.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
It is possible that the problem was the dwarf neon rainbows and they were just innocent victims but I'm not sure. On a whole I feel better about wild caught fish than those raised over many generations in fish farms.
I know, it's a catch 22. Catching wild has endangered many species but bad breeding practices weaken many species, so you have to be careful and keep your fingers crossed when buying tank raised. A local breeder with good breeding practices is our best bet, but they're few and far between and often expensive (rightfully so).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode