Cardinal tetra - what is it and how to treat? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Cardinal tetra - what is it and how to treat?

Help please!

My Cardinal tetra are not looking so healthy. Can anyone narrow down what they have and advise how best to treat please?

I spotted the first fish with what looked like fungus about 2 weeks ago. I didn't have a quarantine tank available so had to treat in tank. I did two treatments with Seachem Kanaplex 2 days apart, and also added Pimafix and Melafix every day for about a week. Honestly I then took my eye off the tank for a while and yesterday noticed more fish were affected.

I have not seen any dead fish yet and have searched the tank well. The affected fish are eating and behaving normally, no flicking against rocks etc, swimming with the group, no issues swimming. I've just got a quarantine tank setup to move them into to treat (main tank has nerites and a couple of amano shrimp so don't want to medicate that too heavily or often). The affected fish were hard to catch, definitely no issues swimming!

I'm doing a 1 hour dip with Seachem Paraguard before moving them into the hospital tank. Fish don't seem bothered with this.

I have the following med's on hand at home: NeoPlex, MetroPlex, KanaPlex, Melafix & Pimafix, API aquarium salt.

Thinking either daily dosing of Paraguard (as that seems to treat just about everything!) or MetroPlex (on basis that already treated with KanaPlex).

Your thoughts and advice please!!!

Thanks, James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, so sadly a couple of the fish didn't make it through the Paraguard dip, or maybe the stress of being caught etc on top of being sick. Strangely it wasn't the fish that looked the worse affected that died though.

Looking closely at the deceased under a magnifying glass and with a bright torch at just the right angle, there are what appears to be white worms beneath the 'slime' on the sides of the fish. Some sort of parasite I assume? Anyone able to identify please?

I have treated the main tank from which they came with Paraguard (plus Melafix and Pimafix just in case it helps) as I'm assuming the other 'healthy' cardinal tetra are probably affected too. Hoping my nerite snails and Amano shrimp are ok with this, all fingers crossed.

I transferred the remaining sick fish into the quarantine tank, added the dip water plus a bit extra Paraguard to bring it up to the normal daily dose. Will see how they look in the morning.

The "parasites" are not as obvious on the fish in the tank as in the photos. It's only the angel of a very bright LED torch that is making them stand out like this in the photos. So I can't see these on the remaiining fish, only a sort of hazy slime / fungus, but I am assuming they have the same thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
This is Dermocystidium.

Here is some information about the condition and how to treat the secondary infections that Cardinals tend to get from it. It appears that many cardinals will overcome this illness if secondary infections are dealt with and after spores have burst, but need to be isolated from other fish when illness active. You are right on track with treatment for secondary infections with this. Myaxzin P, that is recommended for treatment of secondary bacteria/fungus in article, is actually a combination of malachite green, acriflavine, and formaldehyde ( active ingredients in Paraguard).

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/pract...81818579510293

Amy

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Many thanks @Discusluv - that's exactly it! I have a feeling one of the worst affected fish's blobs may have burst in the main tank before being removed, so I'll be closely monitoring and treating both tanks. The quarantined fish look better today after their night of Paraguard so will keep going with that.

Thanks again, good to know what I'm dealing with and what to look for with the other fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode