3Likes
  • 1 Post By Triport
  • 1 Post By Deanna
  • 1 Post By Deanna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Corydora: Hyperactive. Normal? Sick? Or just crazy?

On Sunday last weekend we purchased 6 Julii cories.

So far they all seem to be doing well. But one is NUTS.
We are like 98% sure it’s the same one all the time. We named him Crazy Town.

Swims like mad. Up and down, across, back up, down, across. All the time. Rarely goes ALL the way up to the surface though.

The rest get zoomies sometimes but only for a few minutes. This one just keeps going though.

I mean like ALL the time.

Is this fine? Normal? Or should I have a concern?

I do see him eat. He will be the first one at the Cory wafer lol will punt it around, nibble then back to crazy town.

Is this normal? Or should I be worried?

Also, all the cories, unless it is feeding time never hang together. Is that fine?

Tank(fresh fishless cycled)
36g
Planted/low tech
Ph 6.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0 - I know this is weird. But I ASSURE you the tank was cycled before we put in fish.
Temp 77

Other stock
10 Neon tetras (added 14 at the same time as the 6 cories but so far 4 have perished)
1 bladder snail and possibly their progeny now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 02:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

Number one: There is no such thing as a Corydora. The singular of Corydoras is still Corydoras. Also it is more likely to be Corydoras trilineatus than Corydoras julii. C. trilineatus are far more common in the trade and are often labeled as C. julii.

Number two: Unless you are seeing something else wrong with the super active fish I wouldn't worry too much about it. Look for signs of heavy breathing, torn fins, redness around gills or on body etc. As far as the rest of them not hanging out together I would just give them time. Generally the same species of Corydoras will often chill together in my current 100 gallon in a group but when I had them in smaller tanks it was less frequent and sometimes a few or all of them will just be off on their own. With shoaling fish in general unless there is a reason for them to be stressed they often won't group too tightly and I've found that in a smaller tank shoaling or schooling behavior is even less frequent.

Water parameters seem OK. You may want to drop the temp to 75. Cooler is better for most Corydoras. I think 77 would be at the top of the range for them. I have had the issue where a newly cycled tank has 0 nitrates for a while even though I was certain it cycled. I would just keep an eye on it. If you see any red blotches on the body of any of your Corydoras it can be because of a nitrite or ammonia spike. The rest of your tank mates are fine with Corydoras. I have mine with cardinal tetras and green neons.
mjwgh2 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the clarification on the nomenclature. I shall be more precise next time.

I was actually going to make a post with pictures to ask if they were Juliis or False Juliis but I’ve asked so many questions I started feeling like I was borderline spamming the forums. I honestly do not care either way. I love the spotty/stripy look. Just was wondering. LFS had them as Juliis but I KNOW they are pretty uncommon. I tried to look up pictures but still find it difficult to tell. I’ve only had albino cories in the past and that was over a decade ago.

Back to business. Visually, there is nothing wrong with any of them. No blotches, red or white. Their bodies look nice and even, nothing sunken or bloated. They all are eating. Their poops look nice and match the color of the fish food.

When we got them, one had a broken/split dorsal fin but now it seems to be healing. I am even having trouble finding the one that had it while 4 days ago it was GLARING.

I’ve had so many issues with my neons that I’ve not given these Cories enough attention.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Normal for some. I have one that does this and I wish some of the others did as well - it's very entertaining.

Mine generally don't hang together (some hang, seemingly literally, in my thicker stems), but often swim together in packs of 2 or 3.
Discusluv likes this.

Last edited by Deanna; 07-25-2020 at 03:25 AM. Reason: add
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That is very reassuring. Thank you!

Probably just got dealt an overly hyper one then. Crazy Town is sure fun to watch.

Just wanted to make sure he was ok 🙂

These fish are just such water piggies. And I’m so glad I went with a sand substrate with all its cons.
They seem to really enjoy sifting through it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	94B4EED4-9FE9-4245-9FF9-2A6492D5B585_1595647433158.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	901343  

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Sand is ideal for Corys.
Discusluv likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It sure is. They seem to love it. I love the texture their digging and sifting gives the sand, too.

But I also love when they hang out on top of my Anubias of the rocks. They are just so cute all the time lol
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 12:45 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanaquarium View Post
It sure is. They seem to love it. I love the texture their digging and sifting gives the sand, too.

But I also love when they hang out on top of my Anubias of the rocks. They are just so cute all the time lol
We got 6 Pygmy Cories recently. They are the best part of the tank now. They are a tiny riot in perpetual motion. They are often surfing the the lily pipe outflow or innocently buzzing the other Tetras. They all do that Cory thing where they dart up to the surface.

When I bought them I did not know how small they would be but now I want to get more. They make your Cories look like whales!

PS. Good to know that TPT has a built in spell checker :-)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have one in my 75g like that, often swimming in a rollercoaster fashion. He appears to be fine and I've had him for 5-6 months now. The others just tend to spend most of their days foraging.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 07:02 PM
Algae Grower

I have 3 albino cory's and it seems to come and go with them. Sometimes they just cruise around the bottom, other times it's like they have gotten into some red bull. They are odd little fish but so much fun. I have one of them for a couple of years now and the other 2 about 6 months. I wouldn't sweat it unless you start seeing other issues with them.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Crazy Town seems to have relaxed. He is still probably the most active of the bunch but he stopped running around relentlessly.

We can tell it’s him bc all the cories dorsal fins have slightly different markings 🙂

It’s been 3 weeks, I know we are not out of the woods with the new fish yet but they are really seeming to be quite content.

We’ve named another. It is the shyest one and lighter than everyone else. Named it Pale Ghost. Ghost is always the last one to come out for the wafers but once he is out he is adamant about getting his share lol

These guys are so fun, I don’t know how anyone can have a tank without them

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode