Peace in the Land - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Peace in the Land

I have a practical problem finding a good balance with a group of fish that I did not do enough homework for: Silver Tip Tetras.

I bought 4 as my first livestock for my heavily planted tank with mostly ferns, Crypts, Swords and Anubias.

I found these to be fairly aggressive to each other. Not violent but constantly sparing, chasing and posturing. Being a genius I decided that I would add 4 more to see if they would chill in a larger group. That did not happen. They chase each other and also some newly introduced Pygmy Cories. Who would bully a Pygmy Cory? You can barely see them!

Plan B. Today I seriously thought about trapping them all for relocation. I quickly realized the futility of trapping 8 wary fish in a jungle tank.

Plan C: Next I began to wonder if either another group of different tetras or perhaps several larger amiable fish might settle them down.

My goal is a peaceful but interesting tank. Not a fan of aggression or nipping.

Any sage advice other than selling the tank or getting a lobotomy?

Last edited by mourip; 07-24-2020 at 12:57 PM. Reason: wording
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 10:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have similar experience with neon tetra, my 1st time actually keeping them personally. Mix was 2 male and 3 female in very well planted 7gal, 16x9x9 bow front. The male to male harassment was relentless, the dominant males harassment of females just barely less forward, but it was spread between 3 females. On other end the Ember tetra (6 of them, 2male, 4 female), nothing but peace and calm, even the neons got in on calm swimming/shoaling up front with them.

Actually it was interesting looking at habits and interactions between species, but especially watching how ea. species interacted as a whole, but within that community. Betta big enough that Rotala Rot. blocks his path to half the tank. Small fish just ducí away in between plants, betta canít follow them. Gets tired pretty quickly.

Betta quickly learns that casing fish into weeds is a waste of energy, wonít bother. At this point is where you gain upper hand. Small fish unite and form a shoal, betta learns to ignore them, he finds his extra food at feeding ring, a calm pattern settles over tank. The smaller fish circle like sharks below feeding ring, there is always extra droppings from ring as betta eats. But no food hits substrate.
mourip likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
I have similar experience with neon tetra, my 1st time actually keeping them personally. Mix was 2 male and 3 female in very well planted 7gal, 16x9x9 bow front. The male to male harassment was relentless, the dominant males harassment of females just barely less forward, but it was spread between 3 females. On other end the Ember tetra (6 of them, 2male, 4 female), nothing but peace and calm, even the neons got in on calm swimming/shoaling up front with them.

Actually it was interesting looking at habits and interactions between species, but especially watching how ea. species interacted as a whole, but within that community. Betta big enough that Rotala Rot. blocks his path to half the tank. Small fish just duc’ away in between plants, betta can’t follow them. Gets tired pretty quickly.

Betta quickly learns that casing fish into weeds is a waste of energy, won’t bother. At this point is where you gain upper hand. Small fish unite and form a shoal, betta learns to ignore them, he finds his extra food at feeding ring, a calm pattern settles over tank. The smaller fish circle like sharks below feeding ring, there is always extra droppings from ring as betta eats. But no food hits substrate.
Thanks! Embers have been on my short list.

At least the Silver Tips have gotten used to my Pygmy Cories now. They were spooked when the Cories did that thing where they dash to the surface briefly.

Last edited by mourip; 07-23-2020 at 07:09 PM. Reason: wording

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode