3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kubla
  • 2 Post By Cosmo_Kitty2012

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Spinning Panda Cory

I have 5 little panda cories in a 20 gallon planted tank along with a group of celestial pearl danios. Yesterday when I fed them I noticed one pretty much turning into a torpedo. It was swimming along the front of the tank corkscrewing. I set up a QT for it, about 3 inches of water deep, put a fry net cage in a corner and put him in that so its easier to keep an eye on him. Last night he didn't move much and could only scoot himself an inch or so at a time. Did some research and since it can be a number of things I took my best bet and gave him some general cure, measured as best I could out to the 2 gallons of water he's in. Also gave him some cooked peas with the shell removed but he didn't care at all.

Today, he's been moving around a bunch more, still wiggling along the bottom but he can go 3 inches at a time now, and I just put one tiny piece of food in to test his appetite. He ate it like the good little fish he is. He's never had peas so I wanted to test with something he knew and I'll try a pea again tomorrow if he's kicking. I have both aquarium and epsom salt, but I haven't used them with him yet. Not sure if he needs it/how much/how long.

I'm hesitant to say he's doing better because I don't want to jinx it, but while I wait to see how he keeps doing, what do you guys think it could be? Swim bladder issues, if so possible causes, or something else? All that stuff.

I used R/O water that I reintroduce minerals to. Keeps my tanks pretty close in parameters.

20 gallon Tank and (QT)

Temp: 73.5 (74.1)

GH: 8 (8)

PH: 7.2 (7.2)

Ammonia: 0 (0)

Nitrate: 0 (0)

Nitrite: 0 (0)

Edit: I should add that the 20 gallon has been running for 5 months, this is the fist problem I've had with it. Figure the pandas are 6.5-7 months old since I got them as juveniles.

Last edited by Cosmo_Kitty2012; 07-12-2020 at 11:15 PM. Reason: added tank run time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 11:01 PM
Algae Grower

I've experienced that spin like move from my Panda Cory's as well. For a while I was convinced it was gill/fin flukes. This flashing like behavior can be a sign of many things like you said. I will say I notice it mostly around feeding time. I've begun to wonder if they are trying to stir up food. Wish I could help more. If no other fish are flashing, keep an eye on things and keep up with changes.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
I've experienced that spin like move from my Panda Cory's as well. For a while I was convinced it was gill/fin flukes. This flashing like behavior can be a sign of many things like you said. I will say I notice it mostly around feeding time. I've begun to wonder if they are trying to stir up food. Wish I could help more. If no other fish are flashing, keep an eye on things and keep up with changes.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

He's the only one so far. Keeping an eye on the others. If he is doing ok but still not swimming well, as in can kinda move and is eating, I have a 5 gallon I'm trying to keep shrimp in. He'd be the only fish so he wouldn't have to compete much for food.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 02:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
You might want to try doing a Google search. You get a lot of hits with a "spinning cory" search. I'm not sure how much useful info you'll find but it doesn't seem to be a particularly uncommon issue. Good luck!
Discusluv likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo_Kitty2012 View Post
I have 5 little panda cories in a 20 gallon planted tank along with a group of celestial pearl danios. Yesterday when I fed them I noticed one pretty much turning into a torpedo. It was swimming along the front of the tank corkscrewing. I set up a QT for it, about 3 inches of water deep, put a fry net cage in a corner and put him in that so its easier to keep an eye on him. Last night he didn't move much and could only scoot himself an inch or so at a time. Did some research and since it can be a number of things I took my best bet and gave him some general cure, measured as best I could out to the 2 gallons of water he's in. Also gave him some cooked peas with the shell removed but he didn't care at all.

Today, he's been moving around a bunch more, still wiggling along the bottom but he can go 3 inches at a time now, and I just put one tiny piece of food in to test his appetite. He ate it like the good little fish he is. He's never had peas so I wanted to test with something he knew and I'll try a pea again tomorrow if he's kicking. I have both aquarium and epsom salt, but I haven't used them with him yet. Not sure if he needs it/how much/how long.

I'm hesitant to say he's doing better because I don't want to jinx it, but while I wait to see how he keeps doing, what do you guys think it could be? Swim bladder issues, if so possible causes, or something else? All that stuff.

I used R/O water that I reintroduce minerals to. Keeps my tanks pretty close in parameters.

20 gallon Tank and (QT)

Temp: 73.5 (74.1)

GH: 8 (8)

PH: 7.2 (7.2)

Ammonia: 0 (0)

Nitrate: 0 (0)

Nitrite: 0 (0)

Edit: I should add that the 20 gallon has been running for 5 months, this is the fist problem I've had with it. Figure the pandas are 6.5-7 months old since I got them as juveniles.
Are you sure your tank is cycled? It is extremely unusual to get a 0 nitrate reading- even in a heavily planted tank.

Also, did you shake the nitrate regent bottle well before testing as well as the regent/vial of water before reading results?

Is the nitrate test expired?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 05:31 PM
Algae Grower

I had this with a batch of white cloud mountain minnows. Lost them eventually. You did right to isolate the fish.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Are you sure your tank is cycled? It is extremely unusual to get a 0 nitrate reading- even in a heavily planted tank.

Also, did you shake the nitrate regent bottle well before testing as well as the regent/vial of water before reading results?

Is the nitrate test expired?

It was a test strip though I do have the liquid test. I doubt its exactly 0 but its low enough to not read on the strip. I'm sure if I tested it today or tomorrow I'd get a reading on it, tomorrow is water change day.

Edit: liquid test is reading at 5 and it expires in 2023. Strips go from 0 to 20 to 40 and so on. So not precise enough for the 5 reading, just for general ideas.

I cycled the tank for 3 weeks before adding the first round of fish to it, they QTed during most of the cycle in my old 10 gallon that I hadn't torn down yet. QTed the next batch and added them in 2 weeks after the first, repeat a third time. No ammonia spikes or anything. Only nitrates read on any tests I do now.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
You might want to try doing a Google search. You get a lot of hits with a "spinning cory" search. I'm not sure how much useful info you'll find but it doesn't seem to be a particularly uncommon issue. Good luck!

I did which is one of the reasons I'm confused. Everywhere I looked had different answers. Swim bladder infection, whirling disease, hurting its head, parasites, constipation...just everything. Gave him antibiotics and haven't given him food in 2 days. Just put a pea in to help with the constipation if he eats it....he's interested but is just pushing it around. He's not spinning anymore though, but he won't swim off of the tank bottom. Besides that he seems fine.

Last edited by Cosmo_Kitty2012; 07-14-2020 at 11:48 PM. Reason: added info
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

!!!!

I just saw him swim to the surface then back down again! Granted, it's at most 4 inches of water, but he still did it. He hasn't gotten off the bottom of the tank in a few days, not since he decided to become a torpedo.

Guess either the medication or the pea that I finally was able to get him to eat (had to mush it a bit, other wise he wouldn't touch it) must be doing something. I'll put more water in when I change it tomorrow. Give him a good 6-7 inches so he has more space. Then, if he's still doing well he'll go home. I don't think I've ever been so proud of a fish for, ya know, swimming?
evil8 and IKeepShrimp like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Little dude made it through a week of treatment and eating peas and was acting normal. Acclimated him back to the larger tank but I just found him on his side and breathing fast. I'm assuming its him unless one of the others I saw this morning suddenly got sick. I currently have him in a net at the top of the water while I decide what to do. He was doing so well so I'm wondering if he's stressed going back in and needs time. I'll probably get the net breeder box in the tank and keep him in there. He shouldn't be contagious since I got him with antibiotics and medication for parasites. I feel so bad. I thought he was doing so well.

If he doesn't improve at all, as in still on his side and just dead looking, I'm going to call it and let him go. I don't know what else to do for him. </3

Poor Torpedo
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 10:34 AM
Algae Grower

been feeding bloodworm? I ask as I same issue with Corys following feeding of defrosted bloodworm both times i used it on that tank

Tags
panda cory, planted tank, sick fish, spinning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode