2Likes
  • 1 Post By en7jos
  • 1 Post By mjwgh2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Brine Shrimp salinity

Just double checking. I'm looking to grow out some brine shrimp. I've managed to hatch some baby brine and they've been fine for the last few days but I want to move them to a tank to let them grow out a bit.

My question is how much salt will I need for 5 gallons of water? I keep seeing different measurements when I search. Never done anything with salt up until now so any help is appreciated.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Eh, anywhere from a quarter cup to a half cup per gallon (~1.012-1.025 SG). Make sure that you use marine salt and not aquarium/table salt!

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 01:30 PM
Algae Grower

Hi @ichthyogeek

Could you elaborate on why you suggest marine salt and not aquarium salt please? I've been using API Aquarium Salt which has dosing instructions on the pack for hatching brine shrimp. But whilst I can hatch them no problem, I've struggled to get them to grow out for more than about 4 days, so just wondering....

For info @TheOne, this is the dosing instructions on API aquarium salt for hatching BS: Add eight tablespoonfuls for each gallon of water.

Regards, James
TheOne likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 03:39 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne View Post

My question is how much salt will I need for 5 gallons of water?
2 cups of Instant Ocean or similar sea salt mix to a 5 gallon bucket of fresh water will get you awfully close to 1.023 specific gravity. Brine shrimp are a lot easier to hatch than to raise, since they require feeding and rather clean water. The shrimp nauplii are so tiny that filtering and water changing are challenging.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by en7jos View Post
Hi @ichthyogeek

Could you elaborate on why you suggest marine salt and not aquarium salt please? I've been using API Aquarium Salt which has dosing instructions on the pack for hatching brine shrimp. But whilst I can hatch them no problem, I've struggled to get them to grow out for more than about 4 days, so just wondering....

For info @TheOne, this is the dosing instructions on API aquarium salt for hatching BS: Add eight tablespoonfuls for each gallon of water.

Regards, James
So, aquarium salt is not the same as marine salt. Aquarium salt is (I think) just sodium chloride and maybe some magnesium chloride thrown in. To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't help with buffering the pH, alkalinity, or a number of other factors that marine organisms (which I will, for simplicity's sake, also include brine shrimp under) require to stay alive. A clownfish, for example, would not thrive in an aquarium that had the equivalent amount of aquarium salt as marine salt. Marine salt, however, is a number of different salts. There's calcium and magnesium ions, but there's also potassium and bicarbonate/carbonate ions as well. You can hatch out brine shrimp no problem in aquarium salt, since the key points towards hatching the shrimp are light, heat, and water with a certain amount of salt in the water (doesn't matter what kind). But when you're raising the brine shrimp, they're adapted to all of the different salts that you find in marine salt mixes as opposed to just the sodium/magnesium chloride probably found in aquarium salt. As an aside, if I remember correctly, four days for me is around the point when the BBS start dying of starvation if you don't feed them the right foods. I'd suggest a live phytoplankton mix like OceanMagik or similar if you're culturing them out.

@Blue_Ridge_Reef, when feeding, I've found that if you're adding live phytoplankton, it doesn't really matter how heavily you feed, since the phyto does the job of helping filter the water as well. However, when feeding dead foods (yeast, spirulina, etc.), you just need to feed very lightly, and there's not really a need to filter the water as you would a fish or shrimp tank. Also, a lot of people tend to overstock the buckets when starting out with brine shrimp culturing; really a drop or two of concentrated BBS is probably more than enough to get one started, as opposed to dropping in an entire batch worth.

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 01:20 PM
Algae Grower

My own experience with rearing Artemia to full adults is that the plain pickling salt I use for hatching is perfectly adequate to raise to full size in about 3 weeks. Either hatch eggs at about 1.018 specific gravity or use leftover water from your hatcher. You will find that growing and adult brine shrimp thrive at a higher salinity (about 1.022-1.025). Feeding with suspended yeast or Spirulina powder (or blenderized spinach) makes raising easy. Even a 1 gallon jar will allow you to raise several dozen adults. Keep the container in good light, feed LIGHTLY to avoid fouling the water and add an airline with only a few bubbles per second. I'd only suggest a small amount of sea salt mix if you need to buffer acid conditions - normally it isn't necessary.

Here's a link to a "how to" grow brine shrimp to adult size by David Ramsey, who's produced quite a few practical vids.
reddhawkk likes this.

Mike Wilson
Fish Ho!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode