• 1 Post By chicken.nublet
  • 1 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sparkling gourami suddenly struggling

Hey all

Came back from work today and noticed that my sparkling gourami seems to have become very weak. I'm not quite sure what exactly the problem is, but I think I know why. Last weekend I got some new fish and stupidly decided to dump them all into my nano tank. Those fish pretty much died overnight. They probably had something pretty nasty in them that spread to my gourami. I'm guessing it's a parasite of some sort.

I am not sure how to treat them as I've never really had to deal with sick fish before but am thinking that I'll probably go ahead and get some API General Cure tomorrow and treat the entire tank with that. The only thing I wanted to be sure about is whether General Cure is safe for plants and inverts and whether it will kill my filter. I think the main ingredients in General Cure are metronidazole and praziquantel.

Appreciate your replies and definitely will not be adding any new fish without quarantining them in a separate tank for a couple of weeks from now on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Its not a parasite.
There are no parasites in aquarium that can infect and kill existing fish ( the fish you had in your aquarium prior to adding new fish) in 24 hours. And, you would see visual signs on at least one fish if it was Ich-- which is one of the quickest- if not the quickest external parasites to complete their life-cycle and kill fish.

Also, parasites dont kill fish "all at once." Even with Ich, fish will die at different times.

You could have had an issue with water quality. The large amount of introduced fish causing an ammonia spike because bio-load maxed out the bio-filter.
Columnaris- one of the only diseases in aquarium that can kill fish in 24 hours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Its not a parasite.
There are no parasites in aquarium that can infect and kill existing fish ( the fish you had in your aquarium prior to adding new fish) in 24 hours. And, you would see visual signs on at least one fish if it was Ich-- which is one of the quickest- if not the quickest external parasites to complete their life-cycle and kill fish.

Also, parasites dont kill fish "all at once." Even with Ich, fish will die at different times.

You could have had an issue with water quality. The large amount of introduced fish causing an ammonia spike because bio-load maxed out the bio-filter.
Columnaris- one of the only diseases in aquarium that can kill fish in 24 hours.
Thank you Amy. Whatever is affecting my gourami is 100% my fault.

The existing fish have not died, but the sparkling gourami is definitely not well. Fins are clamped and it seems to have difficulty swimming. They managed to eat, which I hope is a good sign.

I also have 4 corydoras habrosus in there but they do not seem to be affected by whatever it is that is that the gourami have.

Did a 50% water change yesterday when the gourami were still behaving normally and another 50% today after I noticed how lethargic they've become. If it's too fast to be a parasite, then probably something bacterial? If it is columnaris then I guess i'll be removing a bunch of dead fish from the tank tomorrow morning :C

Assuming they make it through the night, would General Cure be a good idea or should I try something else?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.nublet View Post
Thank you Amy. Whatever is affecting my gourami is 100% my fault.

The existing fish have not died, but the sparkling gourami is definitely not well. Fins are clamped and it seems to have difficulty swimming. They managed to eat, which I hope is a good sign.

I also have 4 corydoras habrosus in there but they do not seem to be affected by whatever it is that is that the gourami have.

Did a 50% water change yesterday when the gourami were still behaving normally and another 50% today after I noticed how lethargic they've become. If it's too fast to be a parasite, then probably something bacterial? If it is columnaris then I guess i'll be removing a bunch of dead fish from the tank tomorrow morning :C

Assuming they make it through the night, would General Cure be a good idea or should I try something else?
There really is no active ingredients in General Cure that will be of any consequence here.

The gourami that is ill actually ate?
chicken.nublet likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
There really is no active ingredients in General Cure that will be of any consequence here.

The gourami that is ill actually ate?
Yes. I don't usually feed on consecutive days but I decided to drop some food in after work today. The gourami ate as usual, didn't spit any food either.

Noted that General Cure won't be of any use.

I could try getting some Kanaplex tomorrow. Or should I monitor and not add any medication at the moment?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would give the fish a day and monitor for any other symptoms. Since it is only 1 fish, adding other fish to aquarium may have stressed it and it was a weak fish to begin with. That would be the best case scenario.
Also, keep close eye on other fish.
If columnaris, kanamycin and nitrofurazone would be the treatment.
But, give it a "wait and see".

Amy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
I would give the fish a day and monitor for any other symptoms. Since it is only 1 fish, adding other fish to aquarium may have stressed it and it was a weak fish to begin with. That would be the best case scenario.
Also, keep close eye on other fish.
If columnaris, kanamycin and nitrofurazone would be the treatment.
But, give it a "wait and see".
Thank you Amy.

I got up earlier than usual to check on them. One of the gourami has died. Body still intact, looks like the shrimp hasn't had a chance to get to it yet. No outward signs of how it got done in.

The other gourami is alive. Will be observing him. They are very shy fish and I guess since he's the only sparkler in there he might become even more reclusive but fortunately he seems to be doing fine so far. No clamped fins, no difficulty swimming.

The corydoras are all accounted for and are doing normal cory things... I'll be keeping an eye on them for the next couple of weeks. I guess I'll be doing yet another unplanned 50% water change later today.
Discusluv likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.nublet View Post
Thank you Amy.

I got up earlier than usual to check on them. One of the gourami has died. Body still intact, looks like the shrimp hasn't had a chance to get to it yet. No outward signs of how it got done in.

The other gourami is alive. Will be observing him. They are very shy fish and I guess since he's the only sparkler in there he might become even more reclusive but fortunately he seems to be doing fine so far. No clamped fins, no difficulty swimming.

The corydoras are all accounted for and are doing normal cory things... I'll be keeping an eye on them for the next couple of weeks. I guess I'll be doing yet another unplanned 50% water change later today.
Im hoping that it was just a weak, stressed fish. That would be the best case scenario.
chicken.nublet likes this.

Amy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Im hoping that it was just a weak, stressed fish. That would be the best case scenario.
Yeah, that would be the best... Hoping the rest of the fish aren't affected. It is going to be a long time before my surviving gourami will get any companions though. Thanks Amy for the help.

Last edited by chicken.nublet; 06-30-2020 at 04:32 AM. Reason: .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode