new tank, quarantine fish first? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By SueD
  • 1 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
new tank, quarantine fish first?

I am planning a new 10 gallon low tech planted tank. If I haven't had any fish in it, do I still need to quarantine the first batch for 2 weeks? I plan to have either neon tetras or green rasboras, with a japanese trapdoor or nerites, and some cherry shrimp. I have a 3 gallon tank that I plan to pull the snails and the shrimp from, but fish will be new for me.

Will it be too much for a 10 gallon to expect to have 6 tetras or rasboras, and 3 Otoclinus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
The first batch of fish you get do not need to be quarantined in a different tank. Once cycled, this newly set up tank acts as a quarantine tank. Once these first fish are determined to be healthy in this tank, you may want to separately quarantine any additional fish to be added at a later date.

I think you can have a dozen of either the neon tetras or green rasboras. Also consider the green neon tetra as an alternate choice for the regular neon tetras. They're a little bit smaller than the regular neon and have great color.
deeda and Discusluv like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 05:09 AM
Algae Grower

Iím so glad to see this question, as I have been wondering the same thing.

I JUST started my cycle so it will be WEEKS before I can get fish. But it is never too early to plan.

I was thinking of (once my cycle is ready) starting with a school (6-8) or cories and some shrimps (my husband REALLY wants shrimp)

So I am setting up my tank environment during cycling with plants and moss for them.

Do people medicate the brand new set up?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-26-2020 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 05:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Do you have extra tank you can setup as bare bottom quarantine with cycled media etc?

If so go for it, if something pops up youíve got them in isolation so you can dose whatever and clean bottom glass of ich etc after they drop off. Big problem is when people try setup a quarantine from scratch on fly without having seasoned media and maybe some frogbit or floating mops for tank so fish donít feel naked and vulnerable. A good quarantine takes prep just like your main tank.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 01:25 AM
Algae Grower

To the question about meds in a new set up. No you dont, only use them when you can identify the disease. Antibiotics kill the good bacteria for the cycle, and preventative meds could stress the fish and effect water chemistry. As the above poster said, a good QT should be be well established. I've set them up day of, with years old media, and failed.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 09:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yep, medication is used to treat symptoms not as a prophylactic. It always screws with biological processes and water quality. Throwing stuff at tank just in case you might get something is a fools errand unless your doing it in a bare bottom quarantine tank with a well established filter and a well thought out filtration scheme so you can change water effectively, add extra aeration if needed and add substantial bags of carbon etc to tank when needed.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
The first batch of fish you get do not need to be quarantined in a different tank. Once cycled, this newly set up tank acts as a quarantine tank. Once these first fish are determined to be healthy in this tank, you may want to separately quarantine any additional fish to be added at a later date.

I think you can have a dozen of either the neon tetras or green rasboras. Also consider the green neon tetra as an alternate choice for the regular neon tetras. They're a little bit smaller than the regular neon and have great color.
+1
No need to quarantine the first fish put in the aquarium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Yep, medication is used to treat symptoms not as a prophylactic. It always screws with biological processes and water quality. Throwing stuff at tank just in case you might get something is a fools errand unless your doing it in a bare bottom quarantine tank with a well established filter and a well thought out filtration scheme so you can change water effectively, add extra aeration if needed and add substantial bags of carbon etc to tank when needed.
Not all prophylactic medications will "screw with biological processes and water quality". Some will- for sure ( like some antibiotics). But, there are many other meds that one can use prophylactically that will not be harmful to biofilter, fish, plants...
Thats the thing, many lump "medications" as inherently bad in all cases without understanding their active ingredients and what they do.

For instance, I use Paraguard that contains malachite green and acriflavine for the following reasons: external parasite control, the healing of surface abrasions, scale damage, and fin damage from transport and handling. I have been using these active ingredients for a decade in the display aquarium with absolutely no disruption to bio-filter, injury to fish, water quality issues. I have very sensitive fish as well: wild discus, altum angels, African tetras.

Ive also used metronidazole for wild discus and geophagus because wild specimens are prone to Spironucleus. By the time you are aware of its presence, It is often too late to bring them back. Metronidazole is harmless to the bio-filter, nor does it lead to bad water quality, Ive used this for 20 years.

All my wild fish get de-wormed with Praziquantel. It is a mild Anthelmintic that in one dose will eliminate gut worms that can go undetected for months with little to no symptoms. These worms are extremely common in wild fish. The 1 dose of praziquantel eliminates the worms and is absolutely harmless to biofilter and water quality.

If your going to use prophylactic meds, know what these active ingredients are, the fish that are prone to whatever this active ingredient targets, the proper dosage, and their impact in the aquarium.
SueD likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-10-2020 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode