Deciding on which middle sized fish - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 07:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rams, gouramis, and bettas. lovely 'centerpiece' fish but will eat your shrimp. Killifish are small assorted, solitary and lovely, but can be at the wrong GH/KH spectrum from what you might want (and also might eat your shrimp). (But look into killis more, because I think they are diverse and the last time I kept them (15 years ago) a lot of species were just being learned about in the hobby. little tetras are fairly safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Well after some consideration, I think I am going to end up just putting some larger tetras, like Sarpae tetras or some other similar type. I was really leaning towards the neon blue dwarf gouramis, but I don't like it when I have to choose between them or my shrimp. I had an experience with a nano tank that was full with shrimp and introduced a betta, and although I never saw it in the act of eating the shrimp, I did see the shrimp population disappear completely in a matter of a couple of weeks. I don't want to go through something similar again. Killifish are beautiful. They have some very striking coloration and would be very nice too. Though I don't know too much about them. As far as I know, they are varied in terms of their behavior, so I don't know if anybody knows of a specific species that would be good for a community tank with shrimps.

Edit: I was reading now that they (killifish) are jumpers too. Apparently in their natural habitat they often live in marshy areas with drastically changing tides and they have to jump in order to go from puddle to puddle. It turns out that there's a lot of native species here in Florida - in the Everglades. Not sure if an open lid would be ideal with this behavior pattern...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 01:35 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks like you've made your decision, but I just thought I'd throw my dwarf gourami two cents in. I have a male and two females in a community planted tank, and they don't really bother the plants. They peck at the dying material, and the male will gather dead plant pieces to stuff into his bubble nest, which keeps him very busy. Their behavior is cool to watch, and while the male guards his nest, he's not actually aggressive to anyone who gets too close; he just chases them off.

I absolutely love them. If you haven't kept them and eventually have a tank with no shrimp for them to eat, I'd highly recommend them. I bought them online because all the LFS in my area have pitiful stock.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karley View Post
Looks like you've made your decision, but I just thought I'd throw my dwarf gourami two cents in. I have a male and two females in a community planted tank, and they don't really bother the plants. They peck at the dying material, and the male will gather dead plant pieces to stuff into his bubble nest, which keeps him very busy. Their behavior is cool to watch, and while the male guards his nest, he's not actually aggressive to anyone who gets too close; he just chases them off.

I absolutely love them. If you haven't kept them and eventually have a tank with no shrimp for them to eat, I'd highly recommend them. I bought them online because all the LFS in my area have pitiful stock.
I know, I've always wanted to have some. I've had gouramis before, never dwarfs though. But these, in my opinion are the prettiest of all. Very colorful and beautiful. But no matter how much I wanted to, there just seems like my tank is not ideal, and I don't mean just because of the shrimp, also the water surface is constantly getting sucked by the skimmer, so I am not sure they'd be able to make a nice nest, plus the open lid, I think they are also known for their jumping prowess. All in all, I think not the best choice, but I do want to have them at some point in the future...
Karley likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode