• 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 2 Post By Bomanz
  • 2 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this bacteria on a betta?

Woke up this morning to find this white fuzz about a centimeter long coming from my son's betta back. it has been lethargic for a few days, but it always like to lie around so I didn't think it was unusual. I added some bettafix and aquarium salt to the tank, and I'm going to try to pick up some bacterial medicine today if I can find it but I wanted to know if anyone knew what this actually was
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200622_080455_1592854950875.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	900169  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
That is saprolegnia, a "water mold" that feeds on dead tissue of injured fish. You may have also seen this on a dead fish in an aquarium that has been laying on the substrate for awhile. It is a secondary condition that takes ahold of a fish that is immune-compromized or injured.

Medications can cure it but must find the underlying cause of the condition. Which could be due to:

* Water quality. What are your water parameters- ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? Is the tank cycled? The fish not being overfed leading to poor water quality? Saprolegnia thrives in tanks with high organic waste.
*Temperature- Water that is too cold can bring this condition on. Is their a heater in tank?
* How long have you had this fish? Have you introduced any other fish to this one in last 6 weeks? If so, any illnesses?

Treatment depends on how sick the fish is. Is it eating?
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
That is saprolegnia, a "water mold" that feeds on dead tissue of injured fish. You may have also seen this on a dead fish in an aquarium that has been laying on the substrate for awhile. It is a secondary condition that takes ahold of a fish that is immune-compromized or injured.

Medications can cure it but must find the underlying cause of the condition. Which could be due to:

* Water quality. What are your water parameters- ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? Is the tank cycled? The fish not being overfed leading to poor water quality? Saprolegnia thrives in tanks with high organic waste.
*Temperature- Water that is too cold can bring this condition on. Is their a heater in tank?
* How long have you had this fish? Have you introduced any other fish to this one in last 6 weeks? If so, any illnesses?

Treatment depends on how sick the fish is. Is it eating?
The tank is not cycled. It's been taking about two months and keeps stalling, it's a 5 gallon with an ugf and a HOB I installed two weeks ago. Usually I only see ammonia and change out 20% of the water and dose seachem every few days.

There is a heater in the tank, it's the only fish, and we have had it two months. The fish stopped eating yesterday and has been lethargic for a few days. It was sick last month, lying around and not eating. I used bettafix and aquarium salt then and he was back to normal the next day

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The betta has passed on. Cleaned the tank today and letting the filter clear the rest of the medication out
deeda and nightpaws like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Sorry to hear of your loss.

I wouldn't put any more fish in until can successfully cycle. Even trace amounts of ammonia long term will kill fish.
deeda and nightpaws like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 04:45 PM
Algae Grower

that's a long dorsal fin

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode