Another feeding question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Another feeding question

I have 12 dwarf corys in a 10g tank, how much should I be feeding them? As they're the only fish in the tank at the moment and I don't want to overfeed and hurt the water quality, I've been feeding one Hikari sinking carnivore pellet a day. Is that enough?

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 07:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
do they finish it before the end of the day? if so then that should be enough

I have 10 ammanos in a 10g and I have to feed 1/4 of a pellet or else it gets moldy after the 2nd or 3rd day . I think keep feeding just 1 a day until you notice they're not finishing the food then start spacing it out .

you can try two a day and see if they finish that just to make sure they're well fed . also stick to 50% water change a week and you won't have to worry about over feeding since it will be reset on the weekend

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
do they finish it before the end of the day? if so then that should be enough

I have 10 ammanos in a 10g and I have to feed 1/4 of a pellet or else it gets moldy after the 2nd or 3rd day . I think keep feeding just 1 a day until you notice they're not finishing the food then start spacing it out .

you can try two a day and see if they finish that just to make sure they're well fed . also stick to 50% water change a week and you won't have to worry about over feeding since it will be reset on the weekend
I'm having trouble with my tap water, the ph has shot up from the low 7s to the low 9s with no increase in alkalinity so I'm leery about doing a massive water change. I'm using ph down in the water change water to get the ph at a useable level. I lost my betta in that tank because of the ph spike and a larger than normal water change. I drop one of the sinking carnivore pellets (they're small) in and it's gone within a couple of hours. I might try dropping a pellet in the early afternoon as well as one in the evening and see if they both get eaten.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sounds like an offgassing issue maybe? Does the tap water stabilize at a lower pH, or does it stay at the low 9's after a night out of the tap? I had a weird issue in college where tap water needed to off gas overnight, since it came out of the tap at a pH in the high 8's, but would stabilize at around the 7's after being left out at night.

Another thing to consider is, if there's gravel/sand, then sometimes fish food just disintegrates into the substrate.

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthyogeek View Post
Sounds like an offgassing issue maybe? Does the tap water stabilize at a lower pH, or does it stay at the low 9's after a night out of the tap? I had a weird issue in college where tap water needed to off gas overnight, since it came out of the tap at a pH in the high 8's, but would stabilize at around the 7's after being left out at night.

Another thing to consider is, if there's gravel/sand, then sometimes fish food just disintegrates into the substrate.
It's coming out of the tap that high and doesn't go down sitting overnight. I've been meaning to call the local water authority, however, we just got a letter from them about lead in the water (low) Someone suggested that they might be adding something to raise the ph to keep lead from getting into the water. I need to find out if it's permanent or just something they are doing temporarily.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode