3Likes
  • 2 Post By whickerda
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Sad News and a Word of Warning

Hi folks. I'm a long time member that reads the forums from time to time but rarely posts. I'm posting today to report some sad news and a word of warning.

I had a breeding colony of calico bristlenose plecos for 11 years. The lived in a heavily planted tank with some caves and rock structures. It started with 6 fish and at one point grew to an estimated 35-40 fish. Over the years I've lost a fish here and there, and I've given many fish away to friends. Every so often I would look in the tank and there would be a new batch of babies.

About a week ago a friend gave us some zucchini from their garden. My wife sat it on the counter where we often set fruits and vegetables. A couple days later I grabbed one of the zucchini. I broke it in half and tossed it in the tank. I've done this often over the years. The fish primarily have lived on zucchini, yellow squash, and cucumbers.

The next day my heart sank as I saw piles of snails and shrimp feasting on the bodies of my plecos. There were dead fish all over the place. There were a few khuli loaches and otos in there as well. I haven't seen any of them since. Once the shock wore off I asked my wife if she rinsed off the zucchini that was on the counter. She said no. I didn't either. I always rinse any food I'm about to put in the tank off thoroughly, except this time.

I called my friend and got the confirmation - he has been using a pesticide on his garden. I think I poisoned my fish. Interestingly, the shrimp and snails are fine.

But at my LFS they said...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 09:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thatís a terrible story - Iím really sorry for your loss. Sounded like an amazing, healthy tank. A great shame but hope you can rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
So sad this happened to you.
Thanks for posting this to remind us that we need to think about everything we put into our aquarium as a potential hazard-- food included.
I killed a shrimp colony because I put a new plant from a vendor in my tank without rinsing it. It never occurred to me that a plant could harbor toxins. The plant was considered a "pond plant" maybe that's why? Or, maybe it had grown in a tank that had been treated with copper. Not sure.
In another event, I recently had a horrible bout of Ich (again, from plants) that killed off many fish because it hadn't occurred to me that this could happen. I noticed the signs too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 12:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

That's a good reminder for us all. It's the old adage: "Act in haste, repent at leisure." I once had a similar disaster caused by Dawn (the detergent). It wasn't pretty. Gills don't function well with surfactant.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

We all learn from these events. I learned to always check my tap water ph when doing a water change. My tap water went from 7.4 to about 9.2 and I found out after doing some water changes. I lost two angelfish and my betta.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 05:12 AM
Algae Grower

I'm so sorry to hear that. It gives me pause about what we are collectively doing to our planet with the widespread use of pesticides and herbicides.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I find that it doesn't take much of a good look to see we are generally killing ourselves in many ways but we just don't want to look!
When I see the big push to get off the planet, I see there are folks with money who can see the time to get off this rock is getting down to 50-100 years or we don't make it.
I grew up in farm country and learned very early that it is not smart to put too many animals of any sort, chickens, cows, or fish in too little space or they will begin to kill each other, so why do we think the human animal is any different? Just a look at the world news says it is not.
How long before total chaos and no space program?
Desert Pupfish likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 04:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I am so sorry for your loss and thanks for the PSA!

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 01:37 AM
Algae Grower

I used tap water on my 75 gallon planted jungle and always tested temp and added de-chlorinator as the water entered via my Python..except once.

I returned a few hours later to find most fish looking pretty bad. I quickly added the de-chlorinator but not in time to save a number of fish. I felt pretty bad.

I am pretty careful about hand creme etc when I am going to have my hands in the tank.

Sorry to hear about this!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
That's a terrible thing to loose so many fish, from what sounds like a really well-established breeding colony. I am always worried when things get in the air, like paint fumes- because my tanks all run on air-driven sponge filters. My husband thinks I'm being a bit paranoid. But I'm more careful now to do work in the tank first during the day- before I have lotion or sunscreen or insect spray on my skin, or before I've done work outside in the garden or compost pile (I don't use pesticides, but not sure what things from the dirt would be harmful in the tank). I used to feed my fishes aphids that I swiped off the underside of plant leaves with a damp finger. Not any more- what if they carried poisons over from someone else's yard?

|
|
|
|
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 01:20 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to allexx46 Send a message via Yahoo to allexx46
Very sad news. Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sure that by sharing this, that we all learned from the loss of your babies and hopefully will now not experience the same problem moving forward. This is a very risky hobby. As has been pointed out, with every new plant or fish, we risk the chance of introducing contamination and diseases to challenge us. Personally I Have a need to learn and get great satisfaction from reading and adjusting the health of my tanks. I think most of us are like this. One really interesting breed of fish that I have recently seen many new species enter the industry is Gara. They are very cool schooling fish that would love a tank like yours. Lots of personality and are very active. Read up on them. They are being bred in captivity but it is rare. Sounds like you might be a person that could do it.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 01:26 PM
Planted Member

Yeah this is sad. Sorry for the loss.

3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 06:43 PM
Algae Grower

D***. So sorry to hear that.

The harbinger of doom to the wicked but the fragrance of life for the hopeless. Napalm
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 08:13 PM
Planted Member

Yikes. I wouldn't want to eat any vegetables with that pesticide on them

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode