CO2 bubbles on fish? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Asteroid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 bubbles on fish?

Can the white dots be CO2 bubbles instead of Ich?

I apologize in advance for the lack of pictures.

I have a 90gal, CO2 injected, planted community tank. I bought 3 Irian Red Rainbows 3 weeks ago. (no quarantine at the time) I noticed they had lip rot and treated with MelaFix. That took care of that issue after about a week. Doing weekly water changes, all water parameters are good.

About a week ago, I noticed what appeared to be Ich, only on my 3 Irian Reds. Figured that made sense. If they had lip rot, they were susceptible. Dosed tank with Ich-x, daily water changes. They have become more active. Eat well. But the white spots are not going away, but getting more abundant. Finally I threw together a 20 gallon quarantine take to isolate them and run salt and cure-all meds. But as soon as I transferred them over, I could no longer see any white dots. Like not a single white grain on any of them. Granted, I am using differently lights now. Crappy fluorescent instead of full spectrum LED. My wife suggested it could be the CO2, since they hang out right above the diffuser. Could that really be the cause and I have been treating a 90 gallon tank for Ich for no reason?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 05:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpicio View Post
Can the white dots be CO2 bubbles instead of Ich?

I apologize in advance for the lack of pictures.

I have a 90gal, CO2 injected, planted community tank. I bought 3 Irian Red Rainbows 3 weeks ago. (no quarantine at the time) I noticed they had lip rot and treated with MelaFix. That took care of that issue after about a week. Doing weekly water changes, all water parameters are good.

About a week ago, I noticed what appeared to be Ich, only on my 3 Irian Reds. Figured that made sense. If they had lip rot, they were susceptible. Dosed tank with Ich-x, daily water changes. They have become more active. Eat well. But the white spots are not going away, but getting more abundant. Finally I threw together a 20 gallon quarantine take to isolate them and run salt and cure-all meds. But as soon as I transferred them over, I could no longer see any white dots. Like not a single white grain on any of them. Granted, I am using differently lights now. Crappy fluorescent instead of full spectrum LED. My wife suggested it could be the CO2, since they hang out right above the diffuser. Could that really be the cause and I have been treating a 90 gallon tank for Ich for no reason?
The bubbles don't stick onto fish. Ich does.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 06:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
it sounds more like they are sick

good sign that they are eating but yeah I would definitely keep them in the qt tank for longer.
They may have also infected your other fish and the main tank so keep an eye on everything

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 07:20 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
it sounds more like they are sick

good sign that they are eating but yeah I would definitely keep them in the qt tank for longer.
They may have also infected your other fish and the main tank so keep an eye on everything
Hello,
which tank is good or not?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 08:36 AM
Planted Member

Hi

Can you please post a photo of the fish?

Can you please give more detail like water temp?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 10:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have seen o2 bubbles stick to shrimp, but doesnt look anything like ich
HairyNoseWombat likes this.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 12:02 PM
Algae Grower

Red Irian Rainbowfish (Glossolepis incisus) have silver reflective small and large scale patterns, mostly mid lateral and upper body in both sexes. This may or may not show strongly depending on mood. Moving them to a quarantine tank would certainly change their mood (and "cure" them of visible spots). Is this something which is possible on your fish? The "lip rot" you mention is commonly seen in rainbows which are shipped as they bang up their mouths in shipping and during handling. This damage typically resolves in a few days in good living conditions. It is a stunning species and I hope you do well with them.

Mike Wilson
Fish Ho!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Many times we hear of odd or really unusual ideas for things we see about our fish but from a practical standpoint, I do not quickly go to the odd idea when there is a super normal explanation.
So while it is not possible to sort out what you are seeing, consider how odd CO2 bubbles sticking to fish would be and how common ich on new fish is and that will often lead to a better idea.
Since it is highly recommended to QT any new fish, you may simply be seeing the reason for QT!
If you look overt he time, effort and certainly expense of treating a main tank versus keeping a small tank in the closet to bring out when needed, the QT becomes almost "required".
But it does often takes several bad experiences before we get the idea!

Tags
bubbles, co2, fish, ich

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode