• 1 Post By Triport
  • 1 Post By mjwgh2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Emerald corydora dance?

Hello all,

Has anyone ever noticed this strange corydora behavior? I have one cory who swims up to the surface and kind of does this dance where it swims backwards at the surface with its body halfway out of the water. If someone knows what this means please tell me. I think its either playing, or extremely happy. Thanks

https://youtu.be/oaPGl4XHFvc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Cory's can breathe air from outside the water like bettas do. He's just gulping some air
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 02:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

Singular of Corydoras is Corydoras. There is no such thing as a Corydora. As the post above mentioned gulping water from the surface is normal for Corydoras but if it is too frequent it could be because of a problem with your water quality. Looking at the video I wouldn't worry too much unless that was happening very frequently or other fish start showing signs of stress or heavy breathing.
mjwgh2 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 03:21 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
Singular of Corydoras is Corydoras. There is no such thing as a Corydora.
Thank you, hoping Cory from YouTube is reading...just a minor irritation akin to "Tublflex", "Northobranchius", "Bay-tuh", Microsorium, "Gourmay", "Playtee", "chicklid", there are dozens.

All in fun.
Mr. Limpet likes this.

Mike Wilson
Fish Ho!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies. The cory that does this wiggle water dance only does it occasionally. Ive kept these guys for almost 3 years now and its the first time I've noticed this behavior. They all do the standard cory dart to the surface and then dart right back down. This one sometimes does the dance lol. I wasn't sure if it was some kind social behavior, mating practice, or other observed behavior.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 08:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwgh2 View Post
Thank you, hoping Cory from YouTube is reading...just a minor irritation akin to "Tublflex", "Northobranchius", "Bay-tuh", Microsorium, "Gourmay", "Playtee", "chicklid", there are dozens.

All in fun.
Yeah a bunch of Youtube people do the Corydora thing and it seems like because of that it is spreading. And don't even get me started on how people pronounce Aponogeton!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertg8887 View Post
Thanks for the replies. The cory that does this wiggle water dance only does it occasionally. Ive kept these guys for almost 3 years now and its the first time I've noticed this behavior. They all do the standard cory dart to the surface and then dart right back down. This one sometimes does the dance lol. I wasn't sure if it was some kind social behavior, mating practice, or other observed behavior.
As long as it isn't constant I wouldn't worry too much. Does it do it after feeding? Could also be looking for food if it isn't getting enough.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode