• 1 Post By Brothermist
  • 1 Post By forksnbolts
  • 1 Post By f1sleepy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish for Cory population control?

I love my corydoras but their numbers are getting out of hand. I do not know what type of Cory they are. I was sold them as true Julii Corydoras but I did not know if that is true. I'm still very new to this hobby. They could be false Julii, I have no idea.

Anyway, my tank is a 40 breeder (Co2 injected and High light) planted, not a crazy amount of plants but more then a few. That makes getting the eggs out about impossible as I simply can not find them all. I pull out what I can see but the numbers keep climbing. I do nothing to care for or feed the fry, and I never have. They just thrive. There are 8 adults. 50ish juveniles of varying size and about 20 newborn fry right now. New eggs show up weekly.

I'd like to know what type of fish I could add to the tank that would eat the eggs and the smallest fry/wigglers.

I am quite over filtered, running two SunSun 704B's and I do weekly 70% water changes.
Co2 is a custom dual stage on a 5lb tank. Injected in-line with a DIY PVC reactor to avoid 7-UP water.
Lights are two 36" Finnex Planted+ CRV's
PAR @ 90ish at substrate says my Seneye Reef.
Dosed daily with NilocG Thrive+
DIY root tabs as needed
BDBS (Black Diamond Blasting Sand) substrate. (Corydoras have been on this sand since day 1 with NO damage to barbels)

The only other fish in this tank are 2 male Guppies (they killed the others) and 4 ottos.
Misc. pest snails that I got on some plants but don't mind.

I'll attach a link to a short video (most Corys are hiding).

Also, I know I have some algae in the tank. This is only my 2nd real planted tank. My first was a Fluval that was only running a few months before it cracked and was replaced with this 40B. I'm still very much a noob and still slowly learning.

The daughter says "I want a fish tank Daddy", and my OCD lead me to this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I had the same problem with emperor tetras in a heavily planted tank. When I added some Apistogramma the population explosion ended.
Brothermist likes this.

Where the hell was Biggles when you needed him last Saturday?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 11:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

In my experience it can be kind of tricky finding things to eat eggs or young. It doesn't always work 100%. But most tetras cardinal or larger would probably eat at least some of the eggs as would small cichlids like the Apistogramma mentioned above. But Corydoras eggs are large and sticky and not as easy to eat as some other fish eggs. The ones laid in my tank are eaten by other Corydoras, cardinal tetras and Farlowellas but it does take some work and they don't get them all. I never have young survive though so I assume any that hatch are eaten at the newborn defenseless stage.
Brothermist likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Platys eat my Cory eggs , I wish they didn't , I could use some more . But why don't you see if LFS will take them or join a local group and get rid of them that way . People are always looking for Corys...lol

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 01:54 AM
Algae Grower

Livebearers are good for picking at glass as previously mentioned. Panda garras would be your best bet though in my opinion.
Brothermist likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 11:11 PM
Algae Grower

Sell them! Looks like a very healthy tank and sounds like you have some very healthy fish. I'm sure many would like to buy tank bred cories from a member here, as I know I would 😄
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1sleepy View Post
Sell them! Looks like a very healthy tank and sounds like you have some very healthy fish. I'm sure many would like to buy tank bred cories from a member here, as I know I would 😄
I do not even know what type of cory they are. I will start a new thread to try to identify them. The adults are quite hard to get on camera as they are VERY timid. Usually only poking their heads out for a second while lights are on.

I will also have to look into how to ship and all that.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 03:33 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
As someone who does a little hobby breeding, my first thoughts would be local stores and aquarium societies. Inexpensive stock often is uneconomical to ship. Water is heavy and it needs to get from point a to point b pretty quickly and temperatures throughout are paramount to their survival. It can be done 2 day Priority mail but since Amazon has taken over the bulk of the USPS business a lot of people are finding that non-guaranteed shipments are being delayed. Catfish and their pectoral fins are never ideal to feed off and like others have said, people always want cories. There have to be a few local fish stores left in Delaware, no?
Brothermist likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothermist View Post
I do not even know what type of cory they are. I will start a new thread to try to identify them. The adults are quite hard to get on camera as they are VERY timid. Usually only poking their heads out for a second while lights are on.

I will also have to look into how to ship and all that.
Not C. julii, instead C. trilineatus, the cory most commonly sold as C. julii.

Stunning tank!
Brothermist likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewyong View Post
Not C. julii, instead C. trilineatus, the cory most commonly sold as C. julii.

Stunning tank!
Thanks for the info. Confirms what I was thinking. Also, thanks for the compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
As someone who does a little hobby breeding, my first thoughts would be local stores and aquarium societies. Inexpensive stock often is uneconomical to ship. Water is heavy and it needs to get from point a to point b pretty quickly and temperatures throughout are paramount to their survival.
Great points that I had not thought of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
There have to be a few local fish stores left in Delaware, no?
There "are" just a few mom & pop stores but I'll have to see if they survive the Delaware cooties lockdown. When the state opens back up I'll see who's left and talk to them.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in to help out! I'll leave you with this now irrelevant video...

Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 11:11 PM
Algae Grower

That big cory is absolute Chonk. Nice looking tank btw!
Brothermist likes this.

Buce Fiend - Small Tank Keeper
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 12:33 AM
Algae Grower

Just some food for thought as I've shipped quite a few fish over the years and have also received hundreds of fish via mail myself. Shipping fish is not nearly as difficult or scary as some would think. Bare in mind that most fish in LFS are imported from suppliers located overseas. They ship all those fish to the store to begin with! I received an Apisto trio a couple days ago that spent 8 days in transit! (USPS misplaced the package for a few days). They arrived a little thin, but otherwise fine and acclimated to my quarantine tank quite quickly. Fortunately they were shipped in individual breather bags, an insulated box and a warm pack. I've shipped fish from CA to New York that were delayed several days as well, and all made it just fine in standard bags and similar packaging as the Apisto trio. While shipping is generally more work than submitting to a LFS for credit, I preferred it.
Brothermist likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 11:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Just FYI it is always Corydoras not Corydora. There is no such thing as a Corydora and it is not the singular for Corydoras though people use Cory for short.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode