Nano Riverine Fish - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nano Riverine Fish

I'm considering a stream style aquascape for my UNS 45S (45 x 28 x 18cm, ), but I'd like to be able to have some livestock. I was thinking the steam environment would just be attained by an overspec'd canister filter + a (possibly custom) flow head. I'm not thinking like a crazy intense flow, just a consistent manifold across the tank.

What are some riverine fish that could fit in such a small tank? (Bonus: Riverine inverts?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Danio tinwini.

Where the hell was Biggles when you needed him last Saturday?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
Danio tinwini.
That's an awesome fish. I've always found Danios very pretty. Sounds like they could be jumpers though and I really wanted to make the tank uncovered. I'll have to think about this. Maybe I can make a cover out of really fine and clear mesh, or I can make a ~2in border cover around the edge of the tank.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Even fish you wouldn't expect to be jumpers can be found dried up on the floor in the morning, so having an open tank can be a bit risky.

Another suggestion would be Vietnamese White Clouds. They're smaller than regular White Clouds & older males get very long fins.
Discusluv and zdrc like this.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Even fish you wouldn't expect to be jumpers can be found dried up on the floor in the morning, so having an open tank can be a bit risky.

Another suggestion would be Vietnamese White Clouds. They're smaller than regular White Clouds & older males get very long fins.
Yeah, I know theres a jump risk for any fish species. I am worried about species that are super prone to jumping. I have an idea for a cover I could make.

The Vietnamese White Clouds look good too. I didn't realize they were so small.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What about Akysis sp.? Seriously fish seems to think they would fit in my dimension tank.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very pretty little catfish, but you'll never see them; they're nocturnal & hide during the day.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 01:07 PM
Algae Grower

A number of loach species are river natives. The YoYo loach B. lohachata is one such. Happiest in small groups.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Very pretty little catfish, but you'll never see them; they're nocturnal & hide during the day.
Is there anyway I can coax them into being more active during the day? For example, dim lighting, no competitors, and daytime feeding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscleguy View Post
A number of loach species are river natives. The YoYo loach B. lohachata is one such. Happiest in small groups.
I think YoYo loaches are too large for the 45S? There are a few really small loaches like the Rosy Loach that would work, but these species of loaches aren't typically riverine.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 05:29 PM
Algae Grower

You could likely get 2 to 3 hillstream loaches in that tank without issue so long as you provide a handful of smooth rocks for them to graze on and create small territories. They are generally quite active and very entertaining to watch imho.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 11:41 PM
Algae Grower

Just need to jump in here, Ive seen many yoyo loaches get 5 inches+. They get very aggressive especially to bottom dwellers, and as they mature in low number groups they will kill eachother till there is one left. The only botia type loach I can ethically recommend is sidthimunki, because it is captive bred in large numbers, but for a peaceful one they still get nippy. For riverine I would recomend corys, ancistrus, maybe hypancistrus, buffalohead cichlids (aggressive), neon tetras, white clouds, danios, peacock gudgeons look like they are riverine but arent, checkerboard barns are pretty small but they are nippy once settled and dont school well. For nano tank cpds, kubotai rasboras, and I would do neocaridina, maybe MTS and pick them out as they overpopulated. Bee shrimp are a bit more riverine though but they like softer water. Obviously not everything listed would be compatible so it's just meant to give ideas. In my opinion hillstream loach tanks are way played out, plus they arent sustainably caught.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 11:47 PM
Algae Grower

Sorry just read the tank size, for that I would only recommend the nano I listed. I would say even vietnamese white clouds could get squirrelly in a tank that size
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillfish View Post
Just need to jump in here, Ive seen many yoyo loaches get 5 inches+. They get very aggressive especially to bottom dwellers, and as they mature in low number groups they will kill eachother till there is one left. The only botia type loach I can ethically recommend is sidthimunki, because it is captive bred in large numbers, but for a peaceful one they still get nippy. For riverine I would recomend corys, ancistrus, maybe hypancistrus, buffalohead cichlids (aggressive), neon tetras, white clouds, danios, peacock gudgeons look like they are riverine but arent, checkerboard barns are pretty small but they are nippy once settled and dont school well. For nano tank cpds, kubotai rasboras, and I would do neocaridina, maybe MTS and pick them out as they overpopulated. Bee shrimp are a bit more riverine though but they like softer water. Obviously not everything listed would be compatible so it's just meant to give ideas. In my opinion hillstream loach tanks are way played out, plus they arent sustainably caught.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillfish View Post
Sorry just read the tank size, for that I would only recommend the nano I listed. I would say even vietnamese white clouds could get squirrelly in a tank that size
Thanks for the suggestion of Kubotai Rasboras. They would look good in a riverine set up. I personally don't like CPDs. I'll definitely get some snails and maybe some shrimp.

Right now, Danio tinwini, Kubotai Rasboras, Akysis sp. + Hara sp. and similar catfishes are at the top of my list. I would love to keep some loaches (eg. Schistura sp.), but they just get too large. Schistura pridii are sooo close to the size I'd want but they're probably a bit too large, and it sounds like most of those available in the hobby are poached from National Parks.

If the Akysis were not nocturnal I'd have ordered some through my LFS by now. They're such beautiful fish.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It seems like Centromochlus perugiae could work? SeriouslyFish seems to think they fit in a tank of my base dimensions. Alos they're typically found in the marginal areas of swift-flowing streams which is the type of environment I'm trying to emulate.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 07:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oil catfish also hide most of the time, usually only coming out when being fed. Rosy loaches are much more outgoing & live well with Danio tinwini.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode