• 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Desperado070
  • 1 Post By Desperado070

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Male or female? (guppies)

Only the small middle one, big one is a male...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gals.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	893513  

Name:	big.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	893515  

Last edited by Desperado070; 02-17-2020 at 03:45 PM. Reason: big one is a male...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 12:31 PM
Algae Grower

It's hard to tell from the pictures. In livebearers the males have a modified fin underneath called a gonadopodium which they use to transfer sperm into the female. Compare your fish and see if any have different fins the gonadopodium is a long stiffened fin. Females don't have them.

Female guppies are usually bigger than males so the big one is probably not male if that helps. As these are young fish you need to use cues like these to sex them.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 02:27 PM
Planted Member

They look mostly like females to me. Males stay smaller and the gonadapodium is like a stick shaped fin under their bellies. Females have a triangle fin in the same spot, and usually have more rounded bellies, less color, and are bigger.

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscleguy View Post
It's hard to tell from the pictures. In livebearers the males have a modified fin underneath called a gonadopodium which they use to transfer sperm into the female. Compare your fish and see if any have different fins the gonadopodium is a long stiffened fin. Females don't have them.

Female guppies are usually bigger than males so the big one is probably not male if that helps. As these are young fish you need to use cues like these to sex them.
In the first picture are 3 generation, the bigger one, the in between ones (which are all males) and the fry.
Actually he or she is exactly the same size as the other ones from that gen except that she/he never shows her under fin and it kinda looks like a ...
I thought I even saw him flirting with me other adult females hence why he is in the male only tank now.
But yes, it is very hard to tel hence why i'm here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamonamon View Post
They look mostly like females to me. Males stay smaller and the gonadapodium is like a stick shaped fin under their bellies. Females have a triangle fin in the same spot, and usually have more rounded bellies, less color, and are bigger.
Males also have their chest more sticking out right after feeding instead of just having a bigger entire body by the females.
That is why I'm still in doubt about the little one (with the arrow) it looks like a male if you look at the belly, and also smaller than the other females of that generation.

The males didn't help either, they just wanna ride everything I throw in there... *sigh*

Last edited by Desperado070; 02-18-2020 at 08:56 AM. Reason: spelling...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 02:17 PM
Planted Member

Well, if it's a female, you'll notice it being chased incessantly -- or hiding as much as possible pretty soon. I would just sit back far enough that they aren't altering their behavior because they see me nearby, and then...just watch.

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 10:33 PM
Algae Grower

You are allowed to net it and look at it its underside more closely you know. You can keep the net part submerged though it will come to no harm for as long as it takes to look.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 10:46 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Not often that you see a livebearer photo and can't determine the gender! As much as the profile fits that of a female I think that fish *may* turn out to be a male. I don't see any gravid spot and the body is long. Ventral fin also seems to be long-ish and caudal fin is less rounded than the others around him/her. If there is a gravid (dark) spot there that doesn't show in the photo, disregard all of that because it's a girl. In another couple of weeks it should be apparent either way, it's getting pretty big and close to maturity. Hope you'll let us know.
Desperado070 likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Not often that you see a livebearer photo and can't determine the gender! As much as the profile fits that of a female I think that fish *may* turn out to be a male. I don't see any gravid spot and the body is long. Ventral fin also seems to be long-ish and caudal fin is less rounded than the others around him/her. If there is a gravid (dark) spot there that doesn't show in the photo, disregard all of that because it's a girl. In another couple of weeks it should be apparent either way, it's getting pretty big and close to maturity. Hope you'll let us know.
I will
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

All you need are guppies, and snails...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Turned out to be a male
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

update
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200312_120242.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	895231  

Name:	IMG_20200323_123530_2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	895235  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode