The Planted Tank Forum banner

Potential Mid-Level Fish

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Desert Pupfish 
#1 ·
So after keeping my first shrimp tank I'm starting to feel an itch for another aquarium, this time with fish! Right now I'm in the planning phase but I thought I'd ask some of you guys and see if you had any suggestions as I can't seem to find a fish that I'm really feeling. So the idea I have for this tank is a South American biome that is filled exclusively with flora and fauna that (hopefully) is specific to one region. For example, fish that would be likely to encounter each other in the wild. I recognize that this is very specific and limits my options but its a fun idea I thought I might explore and see what I could find. The bottom and top level fish I feel fairly stuck to because after doing some research and seeing them about I really enjoy them. At the top I would like a school of marbled hatchetfish and at the bottom a school of salt and pepper corydoras (corydoras habrosus, as I've seen other species labeled as salt and pepper or peppered). Both of these fish are found in the Orinoco River and both of them seem like very interesting little fish that would be enjoyable to keep (even if I have to be on the lookout for flying hatchetfish!).

So what I'm stuck on and open to suggestions about: What fish could inhabit the mid-section of the tank in this little ecosystem? I've looked over at some of the tetras and there are some possibilities there but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with some stand out fish that would be a good fit. It goes without saying that it should probably be a more docile fish as the hatchetfish and tiny corydoras seem to be pretty non-aggressive. Any ideas would be a great help as I'm really just brainstorming at the moment as to what might be the best fish to go together. Let me know what you guys think!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I am not set on a tank size right now but I do want something that will make sense. A 55g was my first instinct but given that the tank will have these different fish existing on 3 separate levels I want to make sure there is enough vertical space for them to be comfortable so its possible I might have to go a little higher. And of course I would also like to make sure there is enough room length-wise for the corydoras to have space to graze and feel comfortable at the bottom. The tank I am looking at right now is 52x16x24. Definitely could go bigger, I want the tank to fit the concept I have so let me know what you think!

#4 ·
There are a lot of choices for tetras that are found in the Orinoco. Cardinal tetras, green neons, x-ray tetras, rummy nose tetras would all be good choices that are easy to find. There are also some dwarf cichlids like various Apistograma species and Dicrossus (checkerboard cichlid).

I would probably go with a 75 gallon. More depth is generally better than more height.

#6 ·
@Triport Yea I'm definitely open to getting a tank a bit larger. The various tetra species seem like a solid choice and were my first thought but I wanted to explore around and see if I could find something a bit more unconventional for the middle space of the tank. The apistogramma's seem promising and I will check into them a bit further. The checkerboard cichlid seems like an interesting, peaceful little fish but some digging around makes it seem like they tend to stay around the bottom and hide underneath shrubbery so I wonder what their interactions with the corys would be like. I suspect it would be peaceful since they co-inhabit the same rivers as one another but I'll look into it.
@Aquatroy50 Yea I've read up quite a bit on the hatchetfish and there are a few routes I thought about going to prevent that. Most people seem to recommend some kind of surface cover in the form of plants which I'm sure I would include. This should help discourage jumping somewhat. I could go ahead and put a lid on the tank but digging through some old tank journals and threads regarding hatchetfish I am quite taken with the idea that one user had of making a DIY bird block mesh lid. Lets me mostly preserve the open top look but also stops the hatchetfish from going anywhere if they should feel the urge to try and take flight. But I could go a few ways with it. I'm pretty stuck to the idea of hatchetfish as I think they are very nice looking and interesting fish so I'll be prepared to deal with their behaviors when the time comes.

#8 ·
Based on my own stock

Green neons , 30 or 40 of them in for an impressive shoal, they tend to group and look great when they all change direction together when they are in tank patrol mode.
In an 18 inch deep they stick very much to the middle layers even if it means watching food sink past them

Red phantom tetra , mine seem more willing to go out of the mid zone to reach food than the neons but still it is a last resort, they are more of a loose group spread along the tank in small groups of 2 to 4 fish tather than tight shoal and there is much territorial flaring fins/chasing activity among themselves , much like CPDs behavior but in fish from the right area and a similar size to your other fish

I have both in the same tank and they seem to co-exist happily if you want both

#9 ·
Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I've actually gone off on a little bit of an exploratory tangent today given that I had the whole day to think about this tank concept. Its a bit off topic for this sub-forum but maybe I'll make a post about it some day in the appropriate section. Given how much I'm enjoying keeping shrimp right now I've been looking into any South American species of freshwater shrimp that might be available that could work in a tank like this as well. The closest thing I could find that is available in the hobby is the Vampire Shrimp but filter-feeder shrimp seem less interesting to me, though perhaps I'm being unfair as I've never kept or seen them in action before.

All of the ideas brought up so far have been wonderful and I would love to hear any others anyone might have.

#11 ·
Look at one (or more) of the pencilfish species: Dwarf pencilfish Nannostomus marginatus); (Beckford pencilfish (Nannostomus beckfordi); hockystick pencilfish (Nannostomus eques ); or three-lined pencilfish (Nannostomus trifasciatus) as alternatives to tetras.

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/nannostomus-marginatus/
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/nannostomus-beckfordi/
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/nannostomus-eques/
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/nannostomus-trifasciatus/

#12 ·
Admittedly I've never paid too much attention to pencilfish, do you have any experience keeping them? Do you find them an enjoyable species to observe? I did notice on the page for the trifasciatus that it explicitly mentions to NOT keep them with hatchetfish. I guess they can be a little aggressive with those tiny little mouths to other fish trying to take up their tank space up at the top! I'll look into some other pencilfish types and see what else I can find, appreciate the advice!

#15 ·
I currently have the dwarf pencilfish in one tank with Vietnamese White Clouds and habrosus cories and in another tank with green neon tetras, kerri tetras and 3 duplicareus cories. These are both 20g longs.

In a 3rd 25g tank I have 7 Beckford pencilfish with 1 old remaining sterbai cory, 1 old rummynose tetra, and way too many to count yellow tiger endlers.

All of the pencilfish seem to stay mostly in the middle to top half of the tank and I haven't had any issues with compatibility. I was a little concerned when I added the single pair of tiger endlers (impulse purchase) in with the beckford pencilfish. Given the number of endlers/fry I now have (guessing it's well over 60-70), I wish the Beckfords were just a "little" predatory but it appears they are not. Hopefully, my LFS will be interested in a good supply of endlers.

I also have diamond tetras and HY511 tetras in another tank (40b) and have had several other tetras over the years. So while I'm still a fan of those, the pencilfish was just something a little different to try. I enjoy them a lot and still hope to try the Nannostomus eques if I come across them locally.

#13 ·
I'm down to two golden pencils in my 10. In my experience the males will set up little areas and defend against each other somewhat but then group up at night to sleep together. They never bothered my betta or shrimps, Otis, or male guppies. I had to get rid of the other pencils because a 10 is to small really especially with more then one male.

They are pretty cool fish in my opinion and worth looking into.

Other choice for mid level is ember tetra or CPDs but thats just me.

#14 ·
There is noting wrong with a habitat tank. I would have one now (around the triple border of Malaysia, Thailand and Myanmar) except I don't have the heart to evict the last ancistrus cat. She was born in the tank and when I fished them all out to redo it (UGF for external cannister with a substrate for the plants) she wouldn't let go of the net she was so scared. Afterwards she came down with body ulcers from the stress. All fixed now and she seems happy.

Ideal situation would be I get enough money for a large SE Asian habitat tank, I move the Asian fish out and put some dwarf angels and largish tetras in to keep her company. I would get some sharks for algae control along with snails in the SE Asian tank. I would need the snails to produce babies for the sidthimunki's and other loaches (I'm a bubblenester and loach fanatic).

#16 · (Edited)
I have a school of ember tetras, also have CPD, and kubotai; I find they all visually disappear in my heavily planted tanks! The CPD look awesome very up close view, maybe a much larger school would be better (I have 9). As far as movement and color, can't beat the cardinal tetra. I can see them from across the room and a large school looks amazing. I have had a 75 gallon tank and imo a very large school of one species really makes an impact in the mid level, or 1-2 large colorful keynote fish.

I got a piece of glass custom cut and use the tank clips to keep fish in and also helps with evaporation.

Sounds like fun! Keep us posted on what you end up with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.