Fish mix 180g Iwagumi - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish mix 180g Iwagumi

First-time planted tank here, after many years of marine and more traditional fish-centric tanks, including propagating corals and breeding rainbows, tetras, and easy stuff like that. Now I'm much more interested in the final aesthetics of the aquarium. I'll no doubt wind up breeding whatever creatures (shrimp, fish) I wind up with, but I aim to stock the tank all at once and am aiming for a balanced and calming tank above all else. It is the focus and centerpiece of our home-office, which sees it's share of stress! The original plan (a year ago!) was to go shrimp only, but I've decided to see what happens with nano-fish and shrimp, neither of which I have any experience with! I started a journal a year ago https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...n-iwagumi.html , and have been enjoying a rock garden for 12 months, but finally planted 2 weeks ago, and will be stocking with fish next week. This week I added 6 Ottos and a dozen ghost shrimp.

I'm thinking about 3 schools of nano fish right now. I would like them to mix as little as possible, and I'm not looking for distractions (cardinal tetras), but rather something slightly more subtle, and nothing that draws too much attention to itself over any other aspect of the tank. The 180 gallon is 72"x24"x24'. I'd also consider just 2 schools. Again, I have no experience in the practicalities of either the plants or the animals, I just know what I'd like the end result to be:

1) Top level schoolers
2) Mid-bottom level schoolers
3) Shoaling/territorial bottom level group

For #3, I had considered Galaxy Rasboras, but they look like they may be all over the place! A pair of Blue Ram's would be ideal for #3, but of course this will be a shrimp tank too!

So, what I have now is:

50-60 Emerald Eye Rasboras for the top level
50-60 Ember Tetras for the mid-bottom level (the color focus of the scape?)
20-30 Pork Chop Rasboras as a wild card - providing randomness(?)
A few species of shrimp, hopefully reproducing

Any feedback is appreciated !

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 05:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

Pork chop (or lamb chop) rasboras school fairly tightly and hang out close to the top. I like them a lot.

Ember tetras in my 100gallon definitely do hang out toward the bottom most of the time. I just wonder if 50-60 is enough to make an impact in a 180. I guess you could start with that amount and see how it goes.

Emerald eye I tried to keep once but the fish that were sent to me were twice as big as I thought they got and not at all what I was expecting or wanted. So I have been wary of ever getting them again. Any sort of cyprinid in general I would do a lot of research on/watch a lot of videos on to make sure they school the way you want them to. Some school strongly and some don't at all. But again I believe true emerald eyes are quite tiny and that amount might not read well in such a large tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 06:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think that "common" name for the lamb chop and pork chop is referring to the two different types, harlequin and the other I forgot name of. Ive scene them both labeled as either just depends on who is selling them so be sure to be sure of scientific name and take a close look at em.

Regardless as Triport mentioned the harlequins I have stay tight together most of the time and like the upper portion of tank. I really like the ember tetras and need to get some more since I lost a few and am down to two. The embers are kind of different, they hang out lower in tank, they school tightly but also will go adventure on there own or in small packs of 2 or 3. Then they get back together and hang out. I also noticed mine liked to find a big leaf or a certain plant and they would all hang out under it in a group. Usually in the evening it was like there bedding area. During mid day or feeding time they would be back out and all over.

I like the CPDs if you considered them, they are more of a open group, like to hang out center stage. They are a little finicky in my experience but I have 12 of them in my 40b. They are pretty out going. Very nice looking little fish.

Last but not least I would recommend getting some type of cory cat. One of the smaller ones like flase juliis, emeralds, peppers (sorry dont know real names off top of my head). In my experience they dont affect shrimp population much and are a great addition to a tank for bottom maintenance. Also in a tank that size with the stocking your considering will more then likely have some offspring on occasion. I had a pretty decent shrimp population with them but have plenty of plants and what not for the shrimps to hang out in. The shrimp would have no problem coming out and eating with the corys.

Just my thoughts. Would love to have a big tank to fill with little guys.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Great info, thanks! Triport, the thing I'm worried about with many of the fish that are appealing to me, like the emerald eye, is that they prefer dim light usually with floating plants. My tank will be bright and open with bottom cover plants. I wonder how well emerald eyes would do in that situation. If pork chops or harlequins hang out near the top as well, maybe I should start with just one of these top level species.

Quint, that's just what I wanted to hear about the embers! I think a loose school mid-bottom is perfect. I've got a nice bushy nook I'm making for them to hang out in the center of the tank. I hope they like it as much as I do! :-)

I do have CPD's in my cart, and have considered them too. They seem somewhat chaotic or as you said, an "open group." Do they stay bottom half? I think ideally (for me) they would be somewhat territorial or at least, like the embers, choose a "home base" to venture out from.

And corries are enticing, I saw a video of pygmy corries schooling along the bottom of a very large tank that was pretty amazing (not that I'd want a giant school!)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode