• 1 Post By Desperado070
  • 1 Post By edustarling
  • 1 Post By butchblack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Question about hot weather

I'm new to fish-keeping and was wondering if I'm gonna need a air conditioner for in the summer.
At the moment I only have guppies and have them at 25. (77F)
What if there is a heatwave in the summer and temperatures rise to 30 (86F) - 35 (95F).
Have to add I'm from the Netherlands so it wil only reach those temperatures in the early evening/night and then cool off again.

Just to keep myself out of stress from what for sure wil come later on.
Is an air conditioner a must or do fish survive these temperatures easily "if" it doesn't last to long?
What do experienced fish-keepers say about this?

(Air conditioners are much cheaper than a water cooler special made for the aquariums o.0' )
(We are talking about 3 x 12 gallon, soon or later a 60 gallon, but with room temp gallon doesn't really matter, it wil get there anyway)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 03:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Assume they have lids, if they do you can prop the lids open and evaporation will help cool them some. Strategically placed fans help as well. Hardly anyone has AC units over her in WA state (US) and we get about 3-5 weeks of hot weather in summer. My tanks will get to about 85-87F during the day during the warm spells. Have not had an issue that I am aware of. I will prop the lids up and be sure to not miss my weekly water changes.

Be mindful of the evaporation when its warmer.
Just my experience.
deeda, butchblack and Desperado070 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 07:55 PM
Planted Member

Well, they do make "chillers" for larger aquariums that are mostly used for goldfish tanks. Not sure how much it can drop the temp tho.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben3721 View Post
Well, they do make "chillers" for larger aquariums that are mostly used for goldfish tanks. Not sure how much it can drop the temp tho.
Yea that was exactly me point, a chiller cost around 400 - 500 bucks while for that price range you could get a air conditioner and just cool the entire room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Assume they have lids, if they do you can prop the lids open and evaporation will help cool them some. Strategically placed fans help as well. Hardly anyone has AC units over her in WA state (US) and we get about 3-5 weeks of hot weather in summer. My tanks will get to about 85-87F during the day during the warm spells. Have not had an issue that I am aware of. I will prop the lids up and be sure to not miss my weekly water changes.

Be mindful of the evaporation when its warmer.
Just my experience.
Thanks
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm in Houston, Texas so I'm the opposite of you. There's about 3 weeks a year my air conditioner is NOT running.

Having said that, there are a few things to consider:

1. How many tanks do you think you will keep in that room ultimately? I have several tanks and I've been a believer for a while now that it is easier to keep the house about the temp I want all the tanks to be. That way it's easier to maintain/stock equipment, basically the "one and done" approach to multiple tank temp control.

2. Cost comparisons, up-front vs long term costs. This one is a bit tricky because I've not done much research into aquarium chiller efficiency and/or power consumption. I'm assuming that it would be much cheaper to run a small chiller rather than a whole room air conditioner, so eventually the higher purchase price of the chiller would be recouped. If you intend to use the room a/c to cool yourself off as well, then this whole point becomes moot, as it's win/win for you to go with the room a/c.
Desperado070 likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post
I'm in Houston, Texas so I'm the opposite of you. There's about 3 weeks a year my air conditioner is NOT running.

1. How many tanks do you think you will keep in that room ultimately? I have several tanks and I've been a believer for a while now that it is easier to keep the house about the temp I want all the tanks to be. That way it's easier to maintain/stock equipment, basically the "one and done" approach to multiple tank temp control.

2. Cost comparisons, up-front vs long term costs. This one is a bit tricky because I've not done much research into aquarium chiller efficiency and/or power consumption. I'm assuming that it would be much cheaper to run a small chiller rather than a whole room air conditioner, so eventually the higher purchase price of the chiller would be recouped. If you intend to use the room a/c to cool yourself off as well, then this whole point becomes moot, as it's win/win for you to go with the room a/c.
I'm planning on having 2 bigger tanks, not sure about the size yet but atleast 60 gallon or more.
It is in me living room so probably wil go with the ac on the long term.
Was just wondering if fish could handle a couple hours above the temperature they need.

Found it weird that a heater is around 50 bucks, if not lower but for a cooler you add another zero.
Got heaters in them now because the temperature can fluctuate but that is al bellow 23 (73.4) while me tanks heaters are on 25 (77)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 09:48 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperado070 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post

I'm planning on having 2 bigger tanks, not sure about the size yet but atleast 60 gallon or more.
It is in me living room so probably wil go with the ac on the long term.
Was just wondering if fish could handle a couple hours above the temperature they need.

Found it weird that a heater is around 50 bucks, if not lower but for a cooler you add another zero.
Got heaters in them now because the temperature can fluctuate but that is al bellow 23 (73.4) while me tanks heaters are on 25 (77)
Well a heater is just a coil of wire with a built in switch. Where a chiller is literally a mini AC unit. Ac units arent as simple.
Bandit1200 likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 10:14 PM
Planted Member

A few years back I had a hill stream aquarium, with a group of Sewellia Lineolata which don't really care for temperatures above 24 degrees. During hot summer months/weeks in Sweden I'd have room temperature of 30-35 degrees, which I solved with dropping in frozen watter bottles and have open top with heavy circulation to increase evaporation (also very important since warm water carry less oxygen). That worked out quite well in conjunction with WC using colder water. I'm also a firm believer that temporary heat surge occurs in the wild which the fish adapts to, it's more about heat level we should aim at keeping the tank at for most of the time.

24G long & shallow dragonrock Iwagumi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[Old] Long & shallow 24G: a
inspired by nature
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 03:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
One of the schools I work at has some tanks sponsored by some state agency where they grow out brook trout fry (I think), which get released into streams in the spring. They run big chillers on these tanks. They look like a combination between PC heat sinks and AC units. They are pretty big blocks of metal tubing with metal leaves to throw off heat. I'm not sure what temperature they keep, but I would guess low 60s F. I should ask for one of these breeding tanks in my office!

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 02-16-2020 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Edit
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 08:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
At the moment I only have guppies and have them at 25. (77F)
What if there is a heatwave in the summer and temperatures rise to 30 (86F) - 35 (95F).
Have to add I'm from the Netherlands so it will only reach those temperatures in the early evening/night and then cool off again.
I assume this is the outside air temperature? When it gets that hot outside, what's the typical temperature inside the rooms where your tanks are? Tanks are slow to change temperature (the larger they are, the slower) so if it's only hot for a few hours, it may not be a problem at all.

+! for fans, cooler water changes, & frozen water bottles, etc. Likely all you'd need for a tank that size.

All this said, guppies are amazingly hardy fish, and would likely be just fine w/o any additional cooling. I. live in the desert, and one summer day the evaporative cooler stopped working for a few hours, and the inside temperature rose to 89˚F/32˚C. At the time I just had. guppies & otocinclus in my new tank, and they were all fine, if a little more animated than usual. I think the tank registered at 87˚F/31˚C. A top off with some cooler water and everyone was back to normal. The dog was a little more enervated than usual, but a couple of ice cubes and he was fine too.

Are you planning to keep other fish besides guppies? If so, just research their recommended temperature ranges. Many tropical fish are just fine at higher temps. And if you move up to 60g tanks, those will be much slower to heat up.
Desperado070 likes this.

Last edited by Desert Pupfish; 02-16-2020 at 08:10 AM. Reason: typo
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
I assume this is the outside air temperature? When it gets that hot outside, what's the typical temperature inside the rooms where your tanks are? Tanks are slow to change temperature (the larger they are, the slower) so if it's only hot for a few hours, it may not be a problem at all.

+! for fans, cooler water changes, & frozen water bottles, etc. Likely all you'd need for a tank that size.

All this said, guppies are amazingly hardy fish, and would likely be just fine w/o any additional cooling. I. live in the desert, and one summer day the evaporative cooler stopped working for a few hours, and the inside temperature rose to 89˚F/32˚C. At the time I just had. guppies & otocinclus in my new tank, and they were all fine, if a little more animated than usual. I think the tank registered at 87˚F/31˚C. A top off with some cooler water and everyone was back to normal. The dog was a little more enervated than usual, but a couple of ice cubes and he was fine too.

Are you planning to keep other fish besides guppies? If so, just research their recommended temperature ranges. Many tropical fish are just fine at higher temps. And if you move up to 60g tanks, those will be much slower to heat up.
Is hard to say since this is gonna be me first year in the summer with tanks.
Last year at the heat wave it got over 30 (86F) for 3 days straight while it dropped down to maybe 20 (68F) - 25 (77F) in the night. (room temperature)

You got them mini ac to for not more than 30 bucks, fan + cooling, might do good on them smaller ones.
But yea for sure i'm searching around for a bigger tank in the meanwhile.

Maybe some cory catfish later on but lets first see how the first summer is, they seem to do poor in anything above 30 (85F)
Bought female guppies so gonna need to keep the small ones around anyway.
Desert Pupfish likes this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 06:15 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Is hard to say since this is gonna be me first year in the summer with tanks.
Last year at the heat wave it got over 30 (86F) for 3 days straight while it dropped down to maybe 20 (68F) - 25 (77F) in the night. (room temperature)

You got them mini ac to for not more than 30 bucks, fan + cooling, might do good on them smaller ones.
But yea for sure i'm searching around for a bigger tank in the meanwhile.

Maybe some cory catfish later on but lets first see how the first summer is, they seem to do poor in anything above 30 (85F)
Bought female guppies so gonna need to keep the small ones around anyway.
Here during the summer the temperature reaches 40C (104F) at the end of january and beginning of february. It's not a problem for my tank particularly as I use to have amazonian setups (my neon tetras and discus just love their 30C (86F) water temperature). At night it goes down to 22C (71F), but I maintain the water's temperature by 27C (80F).

I used to have guppies, and they use to thrive well, even with this moments of high temperature. Based on my personal experience, I think I'd only be concerned if I had goldfishes.
Desperado070 likes this.

Regards,
Eduardo Starling
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

+1 for getting a fan or two to blow over the tanks and filters. I live in an apartment where my A/C is in the bedroom and my tanks are in the living room. I'm hoping that keeping my bedroom door open during A/C season will keep the living room cool enough. I do plan on running a fan over the filters to keep them as cool as possible.

You may also want to drop the heater temperature a degree or 2 in the heat of summer. With 60G tanks, any temperature changes should be very gradual so as long as the tank temps don't go way over the fishes range you should be OK. Adding an airstone or increasing its size and intensity could also help.
Desperado070 likes this.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode