Pea puffer in 5.5 gallon walstad? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pea puffer in 5.5 gallon walstad?

Just a few questions about pea puffers 🙂

1~ Would a single pea puffer be okay in a 5.5 gallon walstad, I've heard they're messy but do they need a filter?

2~ I know they like live annnd frozen food but what exactly, there's blodddworms, brine shrimp, snails, mysis shrimp etc what one(s)?

3~ If pea puffers are not suitable for a 5.5 gallon walstad tank what would be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 10:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Shrimp and/or snails are pretty important to a Walstad. A pea puffer will destroy both. I would not put one in a no filter tank.

I have ricefish, shrimp and snails in a Walstad. Other good choices include whitecloud minnows or endlers if you include a heater.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 03:37 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (497/100%)
A single Betta may also be nice in a tank like that, depending upon dimensions, water parameters, temperature, all the things they require.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I was unsure about the no filter aspect. I like ricefish, however they are impossible to find in the uk 😞 I've read wcmm's need a 10 gallon minimum?

What wattage heater would I need?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-18-2020 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiameseFighterx View Post
Just a few questions about pea puffers 🙂

1~ Would a single pea puffer be okay in a 5.5 gallon walstad, I've heard they're messy but do they need a filter?

2~ I know they like live annnd frozen food but what exactly, there's blodddworms, brine shrimp, snails, mysis shrimp etc what one(s)?

3~ If pea puffers are not suitable for a 5.5 gallon walstad tank what would be?
1~ For volume 1 pea/dwarf puffer is fine.I'd personally strongly recommend a filter as they are messy eaters (snails-they don't eat all the meat basically just bite off the heads and leave the rest to rot..) unless you are COMPLETELY PACKED with fast growing plants and/or aggressive with water changes multiple times a week.

2~They definitely prefer live over frozen-some will learn to take frozen (some don't). Live snails Malaysian trumpet snails, ramshorns, pond snails, bladder snails-they don't care they'll eat them all (and eat they eyes/antenna off large species like mystery and nerite snails so do not keep those in there). Get a live black worm culture, put half in the tank and half in a tub of water you culture (cool place, filter is a bonus if a large culture, feed fish food, or even organic brown paper bags (no glue parts) or keep in fridge and change water frequently (and remember to feed). If you keep in the fridge dont.skimp.on.water.changes!) Other foods include daphnia, brine shrimp, vinegar eels, white worms, grindal worms (look up soilless culture options here-good way to avoid mites).. pretty much any of the 'small' species culture foods for fish. Ps: they will eat shrimp. I've seen a video of a group of pea puffers taking apart a live amano shrimp..

3~Are you going to use a heater? Whats your pH hardness, tds? There are plenty of things depending on water/if you'll heat or keep temp consistent including but not limited too (not to keep together-choose one):
betta splenden (all those store bought in a cup kind-don't get the 'king' aka half giants they need larger tanks)
neocaridina shrimp
caridina shrimp
IMO they should have a 10g or more but people keep these in 5g (group of 6 min recommended):
pygmy cory
chili rasboras (Boraras brigittae)
Boraras maculatus
guppies/endlers
celestial rasboras (Danio margaritatus)
I'm too tired to think of others right now (I have too high a ph for most small species so don't know them off the top of my head 'cause.. i can't keep 'em).
various kilifish (LID!)

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Shrimp and/or snails are pretty important to a Walstad. A pea puffer will destroy both. I would not put one in a no filter tank.
In my experience, when I had added a puffer to my tank the MTS quickly learned to stay in the substrate during the day, and only came out at night when the he was asleep. So the puffer had to content himself with bladder snails and the less astute MTS. After I had to evict him for bad behavior, the MTS start being visible during the day again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode