My Glowlight Danios keep dying - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PlantStudent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Glowlight Danios keep dying

About three weeks ago I bought 10 glowlight danios. These are really pretty fish. They were all healthy and active. Eating well.

The last two days, I've lost three of them and I can't figure out why! I see them at the surface gasping for air. Swimming erratically. A few hours later they are dead. This has been happening one by one, not all at once.

I do dose CO2, but minimally with a drop checker. Once the first fish starting acting like that I turned off the CO2 just in case and increased surface agitation. He died shortly after. By now the drop checker was solid blue. I lost another one last night with the same symptoms. I checked water parameters and they were as normal......0 ammonia 0 nitrite very little Nitrate if any.

As I was prepping for my weekly 50% change, I noticed another one showing the same symptoms. By the time water change was completed he was still swimming separately from the school and gasping for air at the surface. He was dead an hour later.

My PH is a little on the high side. around 7,6-7.8 with CO2 and around 8 with it off. It's always high, but I don't feel high enough to worry about.

I have other fish. 4 dwarf honey gouramis and about a dozen Neon Tetras. Also a female Betta, 50 or so cherry shrimp and several nerite snails. I'm only having this issue with the tetras.

I can't figure out the problem. It has me worried!

Any Suggestions or ideas would be helpful.

I am an equipment and tool junkie. I try to keep it simple but.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 06:31 AM
fpn
Algae Grower

My glow light danios died one by one as well. The Zebra danios I had never had issues (same fish w/o the gene edit).

I ended up adding a slow flow UV lamp to make sure I didn't have Mycobacterium[censored]marinum, which I suspected because one of the glowlight danios had a curved spine. At the end of the day it seemed that they just were very sensitive and possibly sick when I got them.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 03:43 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Just for clarification, do you have Glo-fish danios or glowlight tetras? The former are the genetically engineered very bright fish, whereas glowlight tetras are tan colored with a red stripe. The danios are a hardier fish to alkaline water, generally speaking.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Neither. I have glowlight danios. Really pretty too. I got this figured out already in another thread I posted in the ferts section.

Turns out I was gassing the poor guys with co2 improperly injected.
fpn likes this.

I am an equipment and tool junkie. I try to keep it simple but.........
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 05:47 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Gotcha, Danio choprai isn't seen too commonly in stores and I made an assumption there. Mea cupla. Odd that your other fish were unharmed by CO2 if that was the issue. What's your KH? You can use the chart with KH and pH data points to determine a safe zone. https://barrreport.com/threads/co2-ph-kh-table.10717/ Hope that helps and sorry about your losses.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 11:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

I kept them back 90ís early 2000ís, easily one of sturdiest fish I ever kept. Kept them with Celebes rainbows, Knight goby and praecox rainbows. Moderate hardness and good oxygenation was what seemed to keep them and that tank happiest.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode