Peacock gudgeon developed black spots?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Peacock gudgeon developed black spots?!

For never having dealt with many fish illnesses, I certainly seem to be getting hit with them now (posted about new rummynose recently). In a completely different tank and that I use different equipment in, I now have another sick fish w/ different symptoms.

My peacock gudgeon who I've had for about 4 months in my 5 gallon has developed large(ish) black spots mostly around his head, plus one along his side under his dorsal fin. I've noticed all of these develop in the last week or so. Any idea what this could be? Pics below. He's mostly acting fine and eating like a glutton, but I've seen him flash just a few times in the past couple days (never saw him do so before). I'm quite fond of this guy, so I'm hoping we can fix this

The only recent change that has been made to his tank is that last weekend he gained a male celestial pearl danio as a tankmate (not a fish I'd usually keep without a school, but my friend needed to get rid of it). So this disease has suspicious timing. I did not quarantine the fish before adding him, as I figured he'd be disease-free since my friend had the CPD for a few months without issue - definitely regretting this now.

Edit - the only other somewhat recent change was the additional of a nerite snail a couple weeks ago.

I've been treating the tank with Paraguard for the last 4 days with no improvement (in fact they've possibly gotten worse), so I'm wondering if I should switch meds. The problem is I have no idea what it is, so I'm not sure what to treat with.

Meds and related items currently on hand (though I'm happy to order something or run out to the store ASAP if none of these seem like the right one for this):
Furan-2
Prazipro
Kanaplex
Metroplex
API super ick cure
Paraguard (not helping currently)
aquarium salt

Tested tank stats on Wednesday, and ammonia & nitrite were both 0 ppm, nitrate 5 ppm. Temp is usually 74F. I'll test again after this post and update if there are any changes.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gudgeon3.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	893077  

Name:	gudgeon1.jpg
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	893079  

Name:	gudgeon2.jpg
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	893081  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank stats still look good, but I'm going to do a water change just to be safe.
temp - 74F
pH 6.6
ammonia - 0 ppm
nitrite - 0 ppm
nitrate - 5-10 ppm

Only thing I've come across that it sort of looks like is ammonia burn, but there's never been ammonia present when I've tested the water. Regardless, if it is some form of ammonia or other chemical burn, hopefully it'll heal on its own with water changes. If anyone thinks it could be something else, please let me know.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-11-2020 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode