How gradually should I stock fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How gradually should I stock fish

My 20 long finally cycled and stable after about a month! Today I picked up 10 ember tetras and a few amano shimp. The 2/3 shrimp are hiding and the largest one (about 1"?) is patrolling around. The great news is that the Ember tetras seem to be adapting really well and still have a deep orange color, which honestly surprised me.

I am hoping to take on my algae problem (I've already altered my lighting) with some amanos, planting heavier and some Otos. I was wondering if it is advisable to pick up 4 Otos from my lfs tomorrow. The algae seems to be holding my plants back, and I'd love to fix it and stay on top of it ASAP!

Final stocking list:
10-15 ember tetras (the 10 are schooling well so far)
4 Otos
8-10 pygmy corys
3-6 amano Shrimp

Also, I'm running an AquaClear 30 on the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I dont typically stock my tanks gradually because the risk of introducing pathogens to the aquarium goes up exponentially each time you introduce new fish. And, preferably, if possible, I get all my fish from one vendor which lowers the risk of multiple issues. You can, of course, set up a quarantine tank and add each group of fish after 6 weeks of quarantine. Thats an option as well.

If I am adding fish all at once I do water changes of 25-50% daily ( depending on amount of fish adding to system) for the next four days to make sure that fish are not exposed to rising ammonia and/or nitrates as the bio-filter works to catch up with new bioload. It usually takes about 96 hours max for a biofilter to build to match bioload at temperatures above 70 degrees. Its pretty quick. Well established aquariums will do this even faster- but, you want to be very conservative in the time given for this process to happen. I would test on day 5, regardless, to see where you are. You cannot be too cautious here.

PS Shrimp should be added to a new system 2-3 months after starting tank. It takes that long for necessary biofilm and microrganisms to develop in a tank to be safe for shrimp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That makes a lot of sense. I have been keeping a journal of all my parameters throughout the month and will be especially diligent this next week. It seems like it might even be a good idea to continue to stock the tank right now, making sure to do some water changes.

In terms of the shrimp and the biofilm, I have quite a bit of different stuff growing in my tank currently. I will link an album with some pictures of examples, with a bonus pic of a few of my embers.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JTRyY5p8znFZwCEy5

Do you think if I have pretty similar growth to this across my tank that it will be safe for shrimp? Is the biofilm just for feeding or does it have another effect?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Otos generally need a well established tank - what type of algae is it? They are quite particular - the biofilm is as important as the algae. I think you may be disappointed if you pick them up thinking they'll cure the algae. They can also be quite sensitive so look closely at the stock before making a decision - nice rounded bellies are essential.

I'd generally do 2 week between fish groups, lets you watch for problems and the filter catch up, but I see @Discusluv point about each addition being a risk. The step up on water changes is a good idea for mitigation. I think you'll need to decide going forward if quarantine would be an option for you or not.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 05:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

In my experience a month of algae growth is enough for Otos. Not really sure where the "well established" thing comes in with them. Like what does that even mean? 3 months old? 6 months? I have never had a new planted tank that didn't quickly develop a film of algae on the glass and different types of algae on the plants. Especially diatoms which Otos love. They can be delicate but I think that is the luck of the draw depending on how they were collected and treated between being wild caught and going to your home. I have had multiple times when I bought 10 Otos and all were alive 2 years later. But other times where some died right away. But that is a common experience with lots of small species of fish.

I tend to stock a lot of fish at once and then wait for long stretches between stocking my tanks. I would be careful about adding fish one day and then adding some more shortly afterward.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode