Is nothing sacred ? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 08:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Is nothing sacred?

The USD perhaps.

At least until they decide to sell advertising on it.

Otherwise, 'fraid not.
trahana likes this.

Snail Glades,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 11:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
sounds like he's going to have his fins (hands) full. Haha
btw lovely fish!

On the op subject though bettas definitely don't need any color boost [censor] there re so many colors now and more keep being added to the market.. granted a TON are marble genes bettas which means its not stable and usual blue/red/black dominate other others like yellow/white/'flesh color'/cellophane.
I feel like an old fart but I remember when petsmart first started selling bettas in open cups- no lids-you get red or blue - ct or vt... now there's SO many 'natural' (through selective breeding) options in finnage and colorations. I haven't even worked off my 'bucket list' or bettas yet, and I image I'll add more non gmo betta color options to my "I'd like to own" list in the future.

Bettas have a hard enough time not ending up dead in those store cups with lazy staff that don't do water changes.. or uneducated peoples 'tanks' (less that 0.5g no heater, no filter, no live plants). I fear this will just make it worse. "Oh just stick it in a mason jar with a black light and nothing else! Yeh that'll work just fi.. oh its dead.. well lets buy another!" Really hate how 'disposable' people think fish and especially bettas and goldfish are.
Gonna have to agree with this unfortunate truth. I don't understand why people feel like fish are disposable or that they always need to look like a damn jellyfish. Wouldn't it be great if everyone felt as the majority of the people on this forum do?

At least I can grow Algae
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I can't wait until they get to the nocturnal fish. "Watch them glow!...If they ever come out when the lights are on"

post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n25philly View Post
I can't wait until they get to the nocturnal fish. "Watch them glow!...If they ever come out when the lights are on"
Maybe glow-in-the-dark kuhli loaches are next?
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 11:56 AM
Algae Grower

well those do look good, but you know i really meant "insert whatever random tetra that nobody cares about" and congos do generally look like poo in the store. also any fish looks good under the right light
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 12:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I think the idea behind glofish bettas is that they can fill the same niche as normal bettas, meaning small tanks aimed at kids and newbies. Other glofish require regular tanks with all the effort and money that entails, plus they're usually schooling fish. Around here, a single glofish costs $6-8 dollars, and they're supposed to be kept in a school of 6+, so you're looking at $36-48 just for one school of fish without the tank or anything. I bet you'll be able to get a betta and special glofish betta tank for $50. Lower cost = more sales.

Also, a lot of people buy bettas without planning to just because they feel sorry for them in their cups, whereas sick fish normally put off customers. Plus, if a normal betta dies, people now have a reason to get a whole bunch of special supplies for their new glowing betta instead of just putting a new fish in the old tank. Again, more sales.

Additionally, pet stores have limited shelf space, so the special glofish products eat into the profits of competing companies, giving any company selling glofish stuff an edge. Really, it doesn't make sense to not make glofish bettas. Unless, of course, it turns out that customers prefer the normal ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
I don't understand the appeal of GMO fish when natural fish or even fish selectively bred are already so attractive.
That's like saying you don't understand the appeal of tetras when goldfish are already so attractive. Variety is the spice of life. Genetic engineering is a tool, just like selective breeding (which isn't all that natural when eggs or seeds are irradiated to promote mutation), so what's wrong with using it?
MrBrongher likes this.

Proud member of
post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 01:00 PM
Suspended

Isn't a big part of the Glo-fish appeal kids. Whenever I'm in the store, the kids make a b line to the Glo-fish section

It naturally attracts their eye and they make the display look special. They also use words like "Born Briillant" and "Inherited"
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 02:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
They also use words like "Born Briillant" and "Inherited"
Well, they're not wrong...
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Proud member of
post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Can't we say the same about all aspects of aquariums in general? Manipulating the buyer into buying something that is clearly not needed / poor practice / plain wrong?

Like a 5 gallons or 10 gallon kit that advertises fish on the box that are way too big for those tanks to hold.

Like Eco-complete claiming it contains, and i directly quote from their website, "over 25 other elements to nourish your aquatic plants". Yea sure it contains that, but the plains ain't using them.

Like filter companies putting schedules on when you have to change media.

etc. etc.

Pet peeve of mine.
Fishly and Desert Pupfish like this.

My 30g Journal:

post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 02:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishly View Post
Well, they're not wrong...
Yep, not wrong but a play on words making you think it's a natural occurrence.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Can't we say the same about all aspects of aquariums in general? Manipulating the buyer into buying something that is clearly not needed / poor practice / plain wrong?

Like a 5 gallons or 10 gallon kit that advertises fish on the box that are way too big for those tanks to hold.

Like Eco-complete claiming it contains, and i directly quote from their website, "over 25 other elements to nourish your aquatic plants". Yea sure it contains that, but the plains ain't using them.

Like filter companies putting schedules on when you have to change media.

etc. etc.

Pet peeve of mine.
Boy you really don't like Eco complete LOL. Yes, your right, definitely not correct. i guess I look at the genetic thing on a different level.

post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Boy you really don't like Eco complete LOL.
Not just Eco-complete, it will grow plants as well as any other substrate all things being equal.

Flourite's marketing is the same talking points that don't amount to anything useful for the plants...

Flourish tabs are like 70% filler inert material....

For the record I've spent money on / used Eco-complete and Flourite (still do) but I won't do it again, invest that money elsewhere.

My 30g Journal:

Last edited by Quagulator; 02-11-2020 at 03:43 PM. Reason: edit
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 03:38 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Not just Dco-complete, it will grow plants as well as any other substrate all things being equal.

Flourite's marketing is the same talking points that don't amount to anything useful for the plants...

Flourish tabs are like 70% filler inert material....

For the record I've spent money on / used Eco-complete and Flourite (still do) but I won't do it again, invest that money elsewhere.
i have used Eco for one of my 1st tanks. I was attracted to the bacteria in the bag (LOL), the nutrients and the fact that you didn't have to rinse it.

Flourite I've never used since it didn't have any clear benefits to me and the rinsing.

post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
i have used Eco for one of my 1st tanks. I was attracted to the bacteria in the bag (LOL), the nutrients and the fact that you didn't have to rinse it.

Flourite I've never used since it didn't have any clear benefits to me and the rinsing.
There isn't any nutrients... that's the problem, clever marketing schemes.

Not rinsing and the bacteria are the only things I can see of benefit.... but is it worth 5x what inert sand costs? Not in my opinion it's not.

My 30g Journal:

post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 03:51 PM
Suspended

Quote:
There isn't any nutrients... that's the problem, clever marketing schemes.

Not rinsing and the bacteria are the only things I can see of benefit.... but is it worth 5x what inert sand costs? Not in my opinion it's not.
Yeah, I know about the lack of available nutrients, I'm laughing at myself about the bacteria thinking it was of great importance. Now I never use bacteria to start a PLANTED tank. Aesthetically I do like the look of eco though.

post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
Just got this in an email.......

Do they come with a dimmer switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Discusluv and trahana like this.

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode