Cory's with Monte Carlo in a 60P/20H tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Cory's with Monte Carlo in a 60P/20H tank?

I have kept Cory's in the past and I really enjoyed them. I don't recall exactly what I had but they were small, about an inch or so, I don't really remember but they were some dwarf variety. First, I am wondering if a 60P is an appropriate sized tank. How many do I need minimum? I am far from fully stocked but I also want to make sure I don't overstock and I have some other fish I want. I was hoping to do 3 to 5. I am using AqAdvisor for my stocking, though I feel it allows for too much, so I wouldn't exceed my stocking levels, I just can't have a lot of these. Plus, there is only a limited foreground for them, about 1/4 the footprint of the tank. The rest is densely planted with stems and due to my past ones, I don't believe they will explore through the plants but I may be totally wrong on that.

My other concern is my carpet. I have a fairly established Monte Carlo carpet. In fact, it is about 1 inch tall now, which seriously needs a trim, but that alone tells me the roots are definitely holding it down because many people have had their carpet lift without it being that dense. I will trim tonight but I am pretty convinced that it is deeply rooted.

My substrate is a sand cap with soil below, just generic Petco black sand. That said, there is none to dig through with my carpet. Will this work? I really love the idea but not sure about my tank size and lack of bare areas.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 03:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Go with 5 if you can. I would say that as long as your carpet is fairly well established it should be OK but there is still a chance they may uproot it whilst snuffling about in the sand.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
Go with 5 if you can. I would say that as long as your carpet is fairly well established it should be OK but there is still a chance they may uproot it whilst snuffling about in the sand.
I am not against getting 5, but that may factor if I get them, is that the minimum that should be kept together?

-Matt

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 05:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Some people will say yes. In my honest opinion they seem to do fine in numbers fewer than 5 or 6. You might get more interesting behavior from them, they may be less skittish, and happier in larger numbers. But if you aren't going to keep 20 or more of the same species I think the difference between 3 and 5 is rather arbitrary. I have kept singles and pairs and triples and they all seem OK to me. I always try to get 5 or 6 of a species but the ones I keep are pretty pricey and I am unable to commit to just one species because I like so many of them so I don't get them in huge numbers.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
Some people will say yes. In my honest opinion they seem to do fine in numbers fewer than 5 or 6. You might get more interesting behavior from them, they may be less skittish, and happier in larger numbers. But if you aren't going to keep 20 or more of the same species I think the difference between 3 and 5 is rather arbitrary. I have kept singles and pairs and triples and they all seem OK to me. I always try to get 5 or 6 of a species but the ones I keep are pretty pricey and I am unable to commit to just one species because I like so many of them so I don't get them in huge numbers.
It makes sense. For example, my Ottos were fine with 3 but I got 5. Now they seem skittish in a larger number but I obviously don't know how they feel. It just seems that sometimes numbers are arbitrary and sometimes they are necessary. Not dissimilar to what I read, I think I had 7 before (larger tank) and they seemed very independent.

-Matt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode