• 3 Post By Triport
  • 2 Post By Bandit1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Questions regarding BN Pleco

Hello all,

I just had just a quick couple of questions regarding BN Plecos.

1. Would a 20 gallon tank (24x12x17) be sufficient for one BN Pleco? I have read contradicting resources on this. Some say you need 30 gallons +, others say you just need to consider the bio-load.

2. I have a heavily planted, organic potting soil substrate. I assume a BN Pleco would be great for my set-up? They are notorious for a high output of waste. I assume this would be very beneficial to the plants and helpful to re-invigorate the soil?

Thanks for any thoughts!

*I currently am cycling my tank. No fish are currently in the aquarium. I am anticipating only having a few (4 or 5) small fish with a low bio-load (tetras or something) and some shrimp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 06:11 PM
Algae Grower

My history with them has shown that when immature they do well, but once they get old they tend to tear up my plants, as far as bioload they are big poopers so 1 would be fine with adequate filtration
cmid21 likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 06:27 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I don't view fish as something helpful because of their waste production -plenty of fertilizers for anything that might be deficient can be dosed in much more precise amounts. BN plecos do however do a good job consuming certain types of algae if that's a concern. I keep a few of these and would say a 20 is on the small side, but enough for all but the biggest Ancistrus. Males can get a little boisterous with other fish their size, and I wouldn't recommend either gender with delicate plants or anything easily uprooted. This species might be a little more of a tank than you had in mind.
cmid21 likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 06:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

In my experience a few Otos or Farlowella vittata do just as good a job with algae consumption as Ancistrus and are smaller, less destructive, and produce less poop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for your thoughts.

Otos are notoriously hard to introduce and keep alive, so as a beginner I will probably stick with the more hardy Pleco.

I am researching a BN Pleco because I just generally like the fish; not because I need algae removal. I actually don't have any algae. My plants are outcompeting the algae for all the nutrients. The plan would be to add different appropriate foods for the BN Pleco as there is no algae to eat. (BN Plecos shouldn't eat just algae anyways)

"I don't view fish as something helpful because of their waste production"
It would be one way to add nutrients back to the soil that has been diminished. Another way is through the extra fish food and water changes (minerals in my tap water).

"My history with them has shown that when immature they do well, but once they get old they tend to tear up my plants, as far as bioload they are big poopers so 1 would be fine with adequate filtration "
Thank you for the input. That is concerning then that they might go after my plants. I'll have to evaluate that carefully. My filtration is being done through beneficial bacteria and the plants.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I don't think the concern was them "going after" you plants so much as them just plowing through everything and breaking it apart and/or pulling it up.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I have never had any issues with my super red ancistrus tearing up the plants, on purpose or otherwise. They can get a little boisterous though.

RAOK Club #55
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
In my experience a few Otos or Farlowella vittata do just as good a job with algae consumption as Ancistrus and are smaller, less destructive, and produce less poop.
I've got both otos & a BN pleco juvenile, and IME the otos do a much better job on the plants, and the pleco in keeping the glass clean of GDA--esp near the substrate where it's hard for me to reach. I assume it's also cleaning up after my angels who are extremely messy eaters--as I haven't been feeding it anything, and it has already tripled in size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmid21 View Post
"My filtration is being done through beneficial bacteria and the plants.
So are you doing a Walstad-type tank with no filter? That would probably be okay with the few small fish & shrimp you mention, but an adult BN pleco would likely produce enough waste to overload such a system. So you might want to consider adding some sort of filtration--even if it's a simple sponge or HOB filter.

If you're relying on fish waste and tap water to supply most of your fertilizer (along with your soil substrate--at least initially), you might want to consider a fertilizer supplement for trace minerals and other missing nutrients to ensure good plant growth. I'm sure many of the fertilizer experts on here can advise you on what you should use.

Completely agree that they're a very personable fish, not just an algae cleaning machine. The super reds--esp the long fins--are particularly beautiful, if somewhat pricey.

Keep us posted on how your tank progresses

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode