Golden ram breeding - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Golden ram breeding

Ok so I recently got a male and two female golden rams and they are in quarantine with a couple Cory cats. Iím just curious what breeding habits are for them because it seems the make has taken two one female but Iím not too sure
coralbandit still likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 04:07 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I believe it's described as loose pair bonding. You'll know by the behavior if they start cleaning and defending a site. I never bred goldens but I'd bet they'll color up noticeably. To get rams to breed, I kept them in warm (warmer than ideal for cory cats) clean ideally soft and neutral water and fed appropriately sized live and frozen foods when I could. Honestly if they are happy in a community aquarium they'll probably pair off and breed at some point. Your male will likely bond with one female and they may chase the third wheel pretty relentlessly. There are a few current threads going on journaling ram breeding so you couldn't have asked at a better time.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 01:07 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I believe it's described as loose pair bonding. You'll know by the behavior if they start cleaning and defending a site. I never bred goldens but I'd bet they'll color up noticeably. To get rams to breed, I kept them in warm (warmer than ideal for cory cats) clean ideally soft and neutral water and fed appropriately sized live and frozen foods when I could. Honestly if they are happy in a community aquarium they'll probably pair off and breed at some point. Your male will likely bond with one female and they may chase the third wheel pretty relentlessly. There are a few current threads going on journaling ram breeding so you couldn't have asked at a better time.
Thank You! they are going into a community tank im not necessarily trying to breed them but if it happens then that would be great. Anything specific i should put in the tank for them to breed on. Currently there are a bunch of plants and black lava rock so there are not a lot of smooth surfaces except for the amazon sword leaves.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 03:23 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
You'll want to raise fry in a separate tank, most folks just breed the pair in it. I used 20 longs, but have since learned that a 5.5 works great. If you put a flowerpot or such in the tank, that will be easy enough to move to the rearing tank (if they lay on it). They may eat the eggs the first try. Have brine shrimp eggs on hand.
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Will do thanks again for the info
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 01:11 PM
Algae Grower

Okay so the male has definitely taken to one female, i noticed last night the female guarding a corner of the tank from the corys and the other female. I'm taking out the corys today so they will not be an issue anymore. It is a bare bottom take so i put a few larger river stones i had on hand in to possibly give them a spot to spawn on. Is there anything i am missing besides wating?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Some helpful tips:

*Feed a live food like BBS to condition pair.
* Temperature 80-82 degrees.
*Add some plants from another tank if have them to add infusoria ( small minute microorganisms that are an additional early food source). Think mosses: java moss, subwassertang, etc.. Java fern works great as a spawning medium as well.
* Make sure lighting is not too bright.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 08:43 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Some helpful tips:

*Feed a live food like BBS to condition pair.
* Temperature 80-82 degrees.
*Add some plants from another tank if have them to add infusoria ( small minute microorganisms that are an additional early food source). Think mosses: java moss, subwassertang, etc.. Java fern works great as a spawning medium as well.
* Make sure lighting is not too bright.
OK will do thank you!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 09:14 PM
Algae Grower

does it have to be live food or could it be frozen?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 09:22 PM
Algae Grower

The parents will breed just using flakes; the kids really need micro-worm and then bbs. Also the kids are very very fragile and need very clean water so you will need to use something like a turkey blaster to remove any debris in the fry tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwalter08 View Post
does it have to be live food or could it be frozen?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake21 View Post
The parents will breed just using flakes; the kids really need micro-worm and then bbs. Also the kids are very very fragile and need very clean water so you will need to use something like a turkey blaster to remove any debris in the fry tank.
They need microworms?

I have a group of dark ram/gold fry right now that are 2 weeks old and they have not had microworms. Only BBS and New life spectrum Fry Food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I believe it's described as loose pair bonding.
Sounds like most humans...
butchblack likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 10:05 PM
Algae Grower

Ok need was not correct phrasing; I should have said microworms work well because they will live a little longer and cause less issues but anything they will eat will work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
They need microworms?

I have a group of dark ram/gold fry right now that are 2 weeks old and they have not had microworms. Only BBS and New life spectrum Fry Food.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 03:43 AM
Algae Grower

Ok so i took the cory cats out and turned the heat up to around 81. there is definitely more action going on so should i take one female out and leave his "favorite" in or leave both females with the male
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 06:57 PM
Algae Grower

Sorry for all the questions but the tank is currently bare bottom with a few large river stones in one corner and then a small anubias between them. IT also has just a few fake plants I had from a while ago i just tossed in for something to hide in. Is there anything i should change in it?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode