Sick Betta - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sick Betta

Hey everyone. Need some advice about my betta. Have had him for a year and a half and he lives in a Spec V. Today I did a 50% water change, added 4 nerite snails, and switched out the pump (it was intermittently turning off so I just bought a new Fluval one). When I turned the lights back on, my betta was lying on his side at the bottom of the tank (which he always does) but breathing very heavily. Every once in awhile he opens his mouth wide and his gills flare out and his whole head shakes like he’s coughing or something. I have no idea what to do or what might have caused this. I checked water params and pH is 6.4, ammonia nitrite and nitrate all at 0. Any ideas? Should I do another big water change? That’s normally my go to but for whatever reason that seems to be what caused this to happen. Would appreciate any help! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Welcome to TPT!
I'm sorry to hear your Betta isn't feeling well.

Some questions for trouble-shooting:

What size tank is it?
How often do you normally change water and how much volume?
The part you changed out, was it just a pump or a filter?
If a filter, how often do you maintenance it? What does this entail?

Was there a lot of debris kicked up that may have went into the aquarium while changing this out?
Are you sure you remembered to dechlorinate when did water change?
was there an excess of gas bubbles in aquarium after water change?
evil8 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
First of all remove all the nerite snails. Just 1 needs a 10g tank. 4 in that small tank will spike ammonia ajust see in a day- and there will be So MUCH POOP. They won't have enough food (diatoms) to all survive, and nerites don't take fish food.
Ps use liquid test kits, if you aren't using strips toss those.
Did you save the filter media from your previous filter? If not you are going to be cycling from square one again-ammonia/nitrites.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 11:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Did you forget your dechlor?

Also take some of your tap/source water, add no dechlor, put it in pitcher etc and check ammonia, PH, GH and KH right after you pull it and also do same tests after water has set overnight (at least 10hrs).
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
First of all remove all the nerite snails. Just 1 needs a 10g tank. 4 in that small tank will spike ammonia ajust see in a day- and there will be So MUCH POOP. They won't have enough food (diatoms) to all survive, and nerites don't take fish food.
Did you save the filter media from your previous filter? If not you are going to be cycling from square one again-ammonia/nitrites.
Thanks for giving the input on nerite snail. i had no idea they were such high bioload-= you have educated me.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Welcome to TPT!
I'm sorry to hear your Betta isn't feeling well.

Some questions for trouble-shooting:

What size tank is it?
How often do you normally change water and how much volume?
The part you changed out, was it just a pump or a filter?
If a filter, how often do you maintenance it? What does this entail?

Was there a lot of debris kicked up that may have went into the aquarium while changing this out?
Are you sure you remembered to dechlorinate when did water change?
was there an excess of gas bubbles in aquarium after water change?
Tank is 5 gallons. Normally I do water change every other week but Iíve had a lot of algae recently so Iíve upped it to once a week the past few weeks. The part I changed out was just the pump, didnít touch the actual filter. I always use prime on the water from the tap. I never really know how much since itís just like 2 gallons so I just do like a few drops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Oh, will do. Thereís no way adding them would have instantly caused a problem with the water though right? Also I just changed the pump, all the filter filter media was untouched. Iím using liquid tests, not strips

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-20-2020 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 04:20 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I never really know how much since itís just like 2 gallons so I just do like a few drops.
In your case you would normally add 2 drops per gallon.

This chart shows how to use Prime correctly

https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...g-instructions
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyNoseWombat View Post
In your case you would normally add 2 drops per gallon.

This chart shows how to use Prime correctly

https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...g-instructions
Gotcha, thank you! That's good to know.

Also, general update but he seems to be doing a lot better today. Now I can't remember what his breathing looks like normally haha but he's definitely not breathing as heavily as he was yesterday. Maybe he was just freaked out by the snails? He's never been in a tank with another living creature.

Bump: Also, as AquaAurora pointed out, there is already SO much poop from the snails. One was DOA so there are actually only 3, but I am not sure what to do now. I don't have anywhere else to put them. I ordered them bc I was hoping they would help with the algae but that seems to have backfired...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemartin19 View Post
Oh, will do. Thereís no way adding them would have instantly caused a problem with the water though right? Also I just changed the pump, all the filter filter media was untouched. Iím using liquid tests, not strips
Should not be instant-but something to address quickly to a void future complications. I can't say what is causing the betta's labored breathing.
ps prime dose a least 1 drop per gallon of whole tank volume. You can buy cheap needle-less syringes on amazon/ebay to measure easier.

There is a bettafish forum (I cannot link it to abide this forums rules) but its sick/diseased section has a helpful sticky with a 'fill this out' for any new posts, fill in as much as you can, it should help others find an issue/rule out some possibilities.
(note below is not my post-it is a copy-paste from another forum)
Quote:
Many illnesses can be traced to water conditions. Your water-changing schedule is the most important element in diagnosing. Please be honest.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Bettaís appearance changed?
How has your Bettaís behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode