stocking suggestions for heavily planted 10g - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
stocking suggestions for heavily planted 10g

Hi. I have a heavily planted low tech 10g tank. Anyone have any stocking ideas?

current stocking:
1 psuedomugil gertrudae
20-30 very small snails

pH: 7,0
gH: 4-6
temp: 77-79

HiChiu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 08:05 AM
Algae Grower

Hi

More Spotted Blue-eye's as they are shoaling fish, At least 5 or 6.
Thelongsnail likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 08:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

Gertrudae should be maintained in schools of at least 5-6. Your water parameters are dead on for them.

They should also have a little open swimming area around tank.

For fish that will blend well with them but I would limit it to 1/2 dozen of each in a 10 gal look at glow light danio.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I originally had 3, but two of them mysteriously disappeared. I didn't find any bodies or anything and I looked everywhere. I also am hesitant on buying 5-6 since they were sold at $8 each at my lfs.

HiChiu
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Chiu View Post
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I originally had 3, but two of them mysteriously disappeared. I didn't find any bodies or anything and I looked everywhere. I also am hesitant on buying 5-6 since they were sold at $8 each at my lfs.

Either you dint find them outside tank (not unusual for a fish to flip/flop 4-5ft away from tank if they end up on ground) or they died in tank and you just couldn’t find them. Move on, nothing you can do about it now either way.

They will jump if you don’t give them some surface/upper level plants to give them some riparian vegetation to duck under. Their worth it to set a habitat for them where they feel safe. A open area with tall plants and/or floaters/emergent plants around edge.

One of the must beautiful fish ever. When 2 males head out into that open area you made for them and go all peacock flare up and do a little circle dance around each other it’s spectacular.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 03:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Chiu View Post
Hi. I have a heavily planted low tech 10g tank. Anyone have any stocking ideas?
Shrimp! (neos)

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 05:10 PM
Algae Grower

Sparkling Gourami
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Either you dint find them outside tank (not unusual for a fish to flip/flop 4-5ft away from tank if they end up on ground) or they died in tank and you just couldnít find them. Move on, nothing you can do about it now either way.

They will jump if you donít give them some surface/upper level plants to give them some riparian vegetation to duck under. Their worth it to set a habitat for them where they feel safe. A open area with tall plants and/or floaters/emergent plants around edge.

One of the must beautiful fish ever. When 2 males head out into that open area you made for them and go all peacock flare up and do a little circle dance around each other itís spectacular.
i dont think they wouldve jumped out because the surface is nearly completely covered with water sprite.

HiChiu
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 01:16 PM
Algae Grower

Maybe if the psuedomugil gertrudae are a little expensive, you could take the one you have left to your LFS. i personally love celestial pearl danios. But everything is your personal opinion.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwalter08 View Post
Maybe if the psuedomugil gertrudae are a little expensive, you could take the one you have left to your LFS. i personally love celestial pearl danios. But everything is your personal opinion.
Hi. I was thinking of getting some cpd and some endlers livebearers. How many of each do you recommend i get?

HiChiu
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:06 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I was thinking of getting some cpd
At least 6 to 8.

Quote:
endlers livebearers.
I would get 6 or so BUT only males no females,

there's is a reason live bearers are sometimes referred to as million fish, You start with a male and 2 females and in 6 months you have a million of them
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyNoseWombat View Post
At least 6 to 8.

I would get 6 or so BUT only males no females,

there's is a reason live bearers are sometimes referred to as million fish, You start with a male and 2 females and in 6 months you have a million of them

cool thanks. I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

HiChiu
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

+1 on endlers breeding like crazy, stick to the males

Your water is a little soft for endlers to be honest, as they prefer a gH of at least 15. I kept endlers until recently in pretty much the exact same parameters (pH 7, gH 5, kH2) and although they bred and seemed to be doing fairly well, they're absolutely thriving now that they've been moved to a hard water area. Similarly aged stock from the same parents that was relocated there earlier in their life has aged less quickly and seems more robust than the ones that stayed in my softer water too. That said, they'll probably be fine in your water, but not thrive, so it's really down to personal choice.

On the other hand, CPDs are very well suited to your water! I keep these currently and although lost a lot of the original stock to an unknown parasite/disease, the survivors and their fry are beautiful fish with really interesting behaviours, and would look lovely in a heavily planted tank. Make sure to see the fish before buying them and ask where they were sourced from if possible. Apparently they're often a mix of wild and farm-raised stock, which can lead to parasites and diseases from untreated wild fish being introduced to farm-raised fish with poor immune systems.

I'd recommend 5 male endlers (if you do decide to go with them) and 6-8 CPDs to begin with. I'd probably add a few more CPDs down the road once the fish had matured enough to be sexed - males will spar so it's good to have more females than males. Just as an aside, CPDs will eat some newborn endler fry, but can't stay on top of a whole population, so a 10 gallon would get overrun very quickly if there's a mix of male/female endlers.

Oh and as @KayakJimW said earlier, get some cherry shrimp too!

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:40 AM
Algae Grower

Slightly off topic.

When I kept Endlers I also used to keep Bumblebee Gobys with them as population control
Desert Pupfish likes this.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 01:50 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyNoseWombat View Post
Slightly off topic.

When I kept Endlers I also used to keep Bumblebee Gobys with them as population control
Generally livebearers like guppies and endlers will eat their young, but because of the heavily planted tank the babies will find a place to hide and then all of a sudden you have a million endlers

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode