Hikari Deception - The Planted Tank Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Angry Hikari Deception

I thought this was interesting and figured I would share it...granted these bottles of blood worms lasts forever they are still deceiving the consumer. I needed the bottle to fit in a short drawer so I poured it into a pill bottle then went to transfer the label when I discovered a seam in the bottle under the label. Popped it off to reveal a false bottom! Conveniently it now fits in the drawer without needing to use a pill bottle but I still feel a little deceived.

IKeepShrimp likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Does bottle contain amount/weight listed on label? If so their not deceiving us just using creative packaging.
Leeatl likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Look up cosmetics container deception or some search along those lines-find a whole of that. Same with some food stuffs like protein powder.. brand new less than 1/2 a (giant) container of product.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 02:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (31/100%)
It is by net weight. You didn't get deceived unless they actually weigh different than advertised.

VICTOR PIMP #53 SGT-500-40-4F-2S-DK
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Okay I get your point. Is the bag of potato chips half empty or half full? haha.

-
-
-
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's unnecessary extra plastic just to make it look bigger on a shelf though - I would email them and share your thoughts!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
For the heck of it I did email them and here is the response.....
Kenneth Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your support of our products. The concave bottom allows for the product to be stacked on the retail shelf. The product is sold strictly by weight, as is required by law.

The Hikari Customer Service Team

After looking at the containers again it makes sense.....lol

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Yes, but.
Many consumers judge quickly when looking to buy products at a retailers. The eye tells the consumer there is value in this visually deeper/bigger container and a quick judgement is made.
Advertisers know that people are busy and dont often check weights and measurements for accuracy over " the quick eye assessment" when shopping. Manufacturers rely on the keen knowledge of advertisers on consumer behavior to create packaging that will give them a bigger profit margin.

The "fits on the shelf" response from manufacturer. LOL!
It is the "visual trick" of value for today's busy consumer.
It is legal- but, at the same time it is how advertisers help manufacturers manipulate the consumer.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It is up to us to be wise , informed , and educated consumers . The biggest bad here is all the extra plastic , but I believe they are recyclable .
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 07:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yep, just google deceptive packaging, lots of examples out there.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 08:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

There are no doubt some bad eggs out there, but many times there is a lot more to packaging than meets the eye initially. The potato chips mentioned above, for instance, are only half full to prevent all the chips from getting crushed during transit. This makes packaging them in the transport boxes easier and reduces risk of breakage, for the consumer to have the intended product, and not a bag of crumbs!

Very interesting stuff... But yes, there are still some bad eggs out there!
Teebo likes this.

|

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Leeatl Ive scene several shorter packages of fish food on the shelves. Guarantee that is NOT why they did that, it is as @Discusluv mentioned.

Wanna talk deception, try there algae wafers. The first "algae" is the 6th ingredient on the list. All in the name, and well making a buck. Ofcourse they dont call them pure algae wafers.
Blue Ridge Reef and Discusluv like this.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:21 PM
Algae Grower

You want to see deceptive packaging?

Try this,

Isnt all water gluten free?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:29 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Wanna talk deception, try there algae wafers. The first "algae" is the 6th ingredient on the list. All in the name, and well making a buck. Ofcourse they dont call them pure algae wafers.
I haven't seen an all plant algae wafer from a big manufacturer period. And it's odd to me because in theory algae should be far cheaper to produce than fish are to farm. Omega One has a decent one with whole kelp and spirulina as the first two ingredients, but it goes to fish-based ingredients from there.
Leeatl likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Quint;11296383]@Leeatl Ive scene several shorter packages of fish food on the shelves. Guarantee that is NOT why they did that, it is as @Discusluv mentioned.

I will disagree on this one . If you look at the pics the OP posted you will see that the tops have a raised "handle" . This fits in the depression on the bottom of the cans so they can be stacked on a shelf . The added part is just for that purpose . I may have too much faith ......lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode