Transferring fish advise - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Transferring fish advise

The 75c is finally planted. I'm waiting a few more days until I'm confident that everything is stable and good. I then plan on transferring my corys into it. The tanks are right next to each other. Should I just net them and put them into the 75g? I'm thinking that because I'm running CO2 in the 75g and the PH is lower that I should put some of the water from the 20l in a bucket, put the corys in it, and over the next 30 min-1hr add water from the 75g before putting them in the 75g.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Also, as I want to move the 20l I plan on draining the tank after moving the corys. should I drain most of the water before netting the corys, or will that cause them more stress than netting them with an almost full tank?

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 02:31 AM
Algae Grower

draining will make the easier to catch, so less stress...but i would still drip them in since there are parameter changes between tanks, its easy, why not......

Bump: draining will make the easier to catch, so less stress...but i would still drip them in since there are parameter changes between tanks, its easy, why not......
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

To be extra safe you could do drip acclimatization. I am far too lazy to do so however and have never had a problem transferring fish between tanks. Even from CO2 to non CO2 tanks or vice versa.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Personally I never acclimate fish with co2 on. Why risk it? Just turn co2 off and let it slowly build up.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Personally I never acclimate fish with co2 on. Why risk it? Just turn co2 off and let it slowly build up.
Makes sense. How long do you wait before acclimating the fish after you turn the CO2 off?

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
Makes sense. How long do you wait before acclimating the fish after you turn the CO2 off?
'

I usually shut it off for a few hours, raise lily pipe/spraybar to get some more off-gasing and acclimate. That's what I do anyway.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

I spend 3-4 days making 30% w/c's in the QT, using tank water. Then, like @Asteroid said, I turn the CO2 off the night before I transfer and don't turn it on until the morning after I make the transfer. I drip acclimate new fish to the QT, but not from the QT to the DT.
Asteroid likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:36 AM
Algae Grower

I have never used CO2 so I have no advice in that department.

Drip acclimating is pointless it takes fish weeks to acclimate properly, What I do is.

1 Do a water change on the tank the fish are going into to make sure there's no Ammonia or Nitrate.
2 If transferring from tank to tank make sure the water temp is as close to the other tank as possible, If the fish are in a bag, float the bag in the desired tank for about an hour.
3 Release the fish.

Last edited by HairyNoseWombat; 01-15-2020 at 03:27 AM. Reason: typo
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyNoseWombat View Post
I have never used CO2 so I have no advice in that department.

Drip acclimating is pointless it takes fish weeks to acclimate properly, What I do is.

1 Do a water change on the tank the fish are going into to make sure there's no Ammonia or Nitrate.
2 If transferring from tank to tank make sure the water temp is as close to the other tank as possible, If the fish are in a bag, float the bag in the desired tank for about an hour.
3 Release the fish.
The fish are being transferred from one tank to another. The tanks are next to each other and the temps are similar. My concern is PH shock as the planted tank with CO2 is lower than the 20L. So I think I'm going with the suggestion to cut off the CO2 a few hours before transferring, then transfer the corys into a bucket with water from the 20L and add water from the 75g over the next hour, then wait a couple of hours before turning the CO2 back on. I'll confirm 0 ammonia and nitrite and low nitrate before transferring, doing a partial water change if necessary.
HairyNoseWombat likes this.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 04:59 AM
Algae Grower

If you were not using CO2 I would say just basically net the fish and transfer them to the new tank, how much difference is there in the PH between the 2 tanks?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 05:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
All of my tanks run the same substrate, water, temp, lights, and photoperiod schedule. This has the side-effect of making transfers easy.

This saved me today.
HairyNoseWombat likes this.

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyNoseWombat View Post
If you were not using CO2 I would say just basically net the fish and transfer them to the new tank, how much difference is there in the PH between the 2 tanks?
I'll have to check, I haven't checked the 20L in a bit, but unless the 20l dropped a bit it could be as much as a full percentage point 7.4 to 6.35. If I shut off the CO2 for a couple of hours that should raise the ph slightly

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 05:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

My experience over years has be most fish can handle a slight PH drop better than a rise in PH.

Now GH shifts in either direction more than a a couple German degree can induce osmotic shock that can take a fish a week to recover from. But being you are probably using same source water on both tanks probably won’t be a problem for you.
Deanna likes this.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:00 AM
Algae Grower

Hi
Quote:
7.4 to 6.35.
What type of Cory, 6.3 might be a bit low.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The ph difference is probably the CO2 - presuming you are using the same water for both? Once you turn off the CO2 the ph will change. If you are using the same source water for both, I would just do a water change or two in the lead up for both tanks - that will make sure the water in both is as similar to source and therefore each other as practical. Then turn of the CO2 and move them over. At that point everything, including ph (as your CO2 is off) should be very similar and it would be more stress playing with a bucket than just moving them straight from tank to tank.
DaveKS likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode