Betta fish tankmates - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Triport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a white HM betta in a 20 gallon planted tank. I'm looking for a redish fish to add some contrast. The ones I have in mind are
Cherry barbs (how fin nippy are they?)
Ember tetra
Red neon blue eye rainbowfish
What are your experiences with these fish?

Tank parameters
Tenp 78
Ph 7.0
Kh 5
Gh6

Heres some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200110_160457_1578789610072.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	891795  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200111_173944_1578789621543.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	891797  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-15-2020 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 02:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

Could be fine. Could be a problem. You will usually know pretty quickly. Most Bettas I have owned have pretty much ignored all other fish in the tank. Early on I did have one that immediately grabbed a small neon by the head and killed it and then before I could even reach for a net to get him out he swam up to a fancy guppy and ripped half its tail off.

Just have to be ready and have a backup plan. As far as cherry barbs go as long as you have multiple males and females in my experience they will focus all their attention on each other and ignore everyone else.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I usually keep my betas solo, only had success with them and otos (the bettas thought he was an oto and ate cucumber with them).
Have heard horror story of betta with ember tetra great for a year, no changes in tank then one day it started hunting them so owner had move it to a solo tank.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 05:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

I keep neons and embers with mine. No problems at all. Was worried at 1st because I added betta 1st and hes so active and boisterous but turns out hes actually a pussycat.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My betta doesn't appear to be too aggressive. I used the mirror trick and the most he did was flare. No outright attack. So someone is successful at keeping members and bettas together. What about with cherry barbs? Any personal experience?

I found someone on craigslist who has to give away 7 neons and 2 ember tetras. I'm willing to take them in. Using aqadvisor I can buy more to make it 10 neons and 10 embers. But I also heard neons (and embers) need big schools to be healthy. Is a 12 to 8 ratio better? If it is which one?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-15-2020 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:12 PM
Algae Grower

Ember Tetras should be fine in your tank get about 10.

A long fin Betta shouldnt get close to Ember Tetras as they are too fast.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:59 PM
Algae Grower

I have had my group of cherry barbs for a few years and they only chase other cherry barbs FWIW. They are nice tough fish that fair well with my angelfish even when they're in breeding mode. Make sure you have a good male to female ratio as the males can get quite amorous and don't leave the females alone.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What if it is an all male school?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I used to have cherry barbs and one betta in a 20L, and they did fine together.

|
|
|
|
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmas4 View Post
My betta doesn't appear to be too aggressive. I used the mirror trick and the most he did was flare. No outright attack. So someone is successful at keeping members and bettas together. What about with cherry barbs? Any personal experience?

I found someone on craigslist who has to give away 7 neons and 2 ember tetras. I'm willing to take them in. Using aqadvisor I can buy more to make it 10 neons and 10 embers. But I also heard neons (and embers) need big schools to be healthy. Is a 12 to 8 ratio better? If it is which one?
Ember and neons will kind of hang together. I keep 5 neon and 6 ember in my 7gal for school of 11.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
No guarantees with Bettas. Just because a particular fish worked for someone else doesn't mean it will work with you.
Depends on the Betta's individual temperament, but it also depends on various factors of the tank itself, such as tank size and plant density\ or areas that keep fish out of lines of site.
Like it was recommended, if you do decide to try other fish with your Betta, just make sure you have another tank to separate them if need be.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode