• 2 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Crested_
  • 1 Post By TheDukeAnumber1
  • 2 Post By AquaAurora

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dwarf Puffers not taking frozen bloodworms?

Hey all, I recently got 2 pea puffers for my planted 10 gallon tank. This was about 3 days ago. I've been trying to feed them frozen bloodworms but they aren't having it. They kind of watch them and follow as they float around, but don't eat it. I also tried frozen brine and they looked at them for a second then completely ignored it. There is a decent amount of copepods (I think? Look like saltwater copepods but in my freshwater tank obviously) that they snack on and there were 2 pond snails in the tank but I haven't seen them in a day or 2 so I'm assuming they ate them. Apparently the store was feeding live black worms. Any advice on getting them to take frozen? Is there something else I can try feeding?
HairyNoseWombat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 06:04 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Hopefully once the scuds and pods are low in number they'll show more interest in your thawed offerings. Bladder snails are usually relished and easy to propagate, though that doesn't help you right this minute. Might be worth calling your LFS and asking if they have any. They're usually dirt cheap if not free since they come in on plant shipments. If you don't have a spare tank I'd set up a couple of jars with aquarium water and put them in a sunny window right away to be preparing a breeding place for some.
mgeorges and HairyNoseWombat like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Hopefully once the scuds and pods are low in number they'll show more interest in your thawed offerings. Bladder snails are usually relished and easy to propagate, though that doesn't help you right this minute. Might be worth calling your LFS and asking if they have any. They're usually dirt cheap if not free since they come in on plant shipments. If you don't have a spare tank I'd set up a couple of jars with aquarium water and put them in a sunny window right away to be preparing a breeding place for some.
Yea I actually have another planted tank with pond snails in them but have only seen 1 good sized one and a couple extremely tiny ones (like newly hatched size). Waiting for them to get a little bigger and hopefully have a steady population in that tank.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 03:02 AM
Algae Grower

They probably would love live baby brine.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
You can go to your lfs and ask for the pest snails from their planted tank display-many stores will give you some for free

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:18 PM
Algae Grower

Hi

I do not blame the fish for not taking frozen blood worm when there is live food in the tank, Also I would not feed bloodworm more than once a week, Bloodworms are a treat not part of a staple diet.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crested_ View Post
Hey all, I recently got 2 pea puffers for my planted 10 gallon tank. This was about 3 days ago. I've been trying to feed them frozen bloodworms but they aren't having it. They kind of watch them and follow as they float around, but don't eat it. I also tried frozen brine and they looked at them for a second then completely ignored it. There is a decent amount of copepods (I think? Look like saltwater copepods but in my freshwater tank obviously) that they snack on and there were 2 pond snails in the tank but I haven't seen them in a day or 2 so I'm assuming they ate them. Apparently the store was feeding live black worms. Any advice on getting them to take frozen? Is there something else I can try feeding?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I think Blue Ridge Reef is probably correct - once other food sources run low, they'll take the frozen blood worms. My pea puffer did the same thing, ignored frozen blood worms the first several times I tried to get him to eat them. Once the snails ran short, he began gladly gorging himself on them. I feed the blood worms 2-3x week, throw snails in from my other tanks as I collect them. I can't propagate snails fast enough for that little murder machine!

Enjoy your puffers, they're awesome little fish!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
You can go to your lfs and ask for the pest snails from their planted tank display-many stores will give you some for free
As would most aquarium-owning neighbors, if you know any. I'm sure many of us on here would gladly send you as much as you like...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode