What Are You Feeding Your Betta? - The Planted Tank Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb What Are You Feeding Your Betta?

Hello everyone, I realize feeding a variety of foods is the best but what is your favorite base diet for your Bettas? I have always gone with NLS .5mm Small Fish but they only had the Thera +A which is 1-1.5mm in size. I noticed the LFS also carried NLS "Betta" formula but I did not see the size on the label but it says .5-.75mm online. Generally if it says "Betta" you stay away however coming from NLS I am curious. I suppose I will have to compare the ingredients...but for the meantime I am hoping 1-1.5mm Thera +A will work, even if I have to crush it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 05:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I give mine the thera-A couple times week, omega one betta pellets few times a week. Bought the omega ones to get away from the aqueon pellets that someone else bought initially. He seems to like both the thera-A and omega stuff. He gets blood worms once a week usually as well.

He will grab some of the flake I give the other fish but not usually. The probiotic pellets by NLS are a little small but he still manages to grab a few when I feed the other fish some.

Generally he is a pellet eater though and will always take those over anything else. Plus he is slow so have to feed him pretty much by hand almost.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 07:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

Kens brine shrimp or bloodworm flake. Fluval Bug Bites.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Kens brine shrimp or bloodworm flake. Fluval Bug Bites.

Dave do you find that the bug bites are a little small for the bettas? I feed the pencilfish and gups that are with the betta and he will nip at them but they are too small for him to get any for the most part. The other fish love em, shrimps also.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

In my experience Bettas have always preferred pellet form.

I will have to checkout the bug bites, as well as the NLS probiotics because I take those regularly myself. Is the Hikari freeze dried bloodworms any good for them? I used to feed San Francisco bay brand frozen foods as well.

-
-
-
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 09:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Dave do you find that the bug bites are a little small for the bettas? I feed the pencilfish and gups that are with the betta and he will nip at them but they are too small for him to get any for the most part. The other fish love em, shrimps also.
Well routine is something like this. Tap fingernail on glass in front of feeding ring, Finnegan the betta comes up to ring looking for food, looks at me like “where’s the food b**ch”, neons and ember tetra circling like sharks down below, it set a few grains lightly on surface so they float. When he grabs one or 2 of them a few of smaller grains drop and tetra snarf them up. Lather, rinse, repeat about 3 times. He’s a very active and prolific feeder, some betta I’ve had weren’t near as energetic in feeding routine.

Main problem I see with them is they sink to quickly, which is why I have to set them lightly on surface of water, I use little strip of plastic I formed into mini coke spoon to do this.

When this jar runs out I’ll probably try the bug bites betta formula, they look bigger and hopefully will be a little more disposed to floating. Problem is with just a betta and eleven tetra this one jar I have now will last me a eternity and will probably go stale before I get it used up.
Thelongsnail and Quint like this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I was poking around the LFS and saw the most pisct-off Betta I have ever seen, slant eyed with a mean mugging frown. I wonder if it would still look grumpy in proper care or if it is genetic haha.

-
-
-
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 04:26 PM
Planted Member

Lol! It may take awhile to get over the pet store experience if at all.

I've been using the Tropical Formula for medium to large fish of Bug Bites for my 2 bettas. It's grain size is varied but even the smallest sizes get eaten. Sometimes they sink right away but mostly stay afloat long enough to be eaten. I will turn pumps off to feed though on one of my tanks as surface agitation really makes them sink quickly.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Teebo likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebo View Post
I was poking around the LFS and saw the most pisct-off Betta I have ever seen, slant eyed with a mean mugging frown. I wonder if it would still look grumpy in proper care or if it is genetic haha.

Now that Grumpy Cat is dead, Grumpy Betta should be the new meme for the new decade....
kgbudge likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 08:55 PM
Banned

I've found that most fish come with some preferences on food, likely based on what they are used to. Most will eventually try a new food if it's all that's offered, and learn to thrive on it.

I actually got my betta some special "betta pellets" only to find that he preferred general-purpose tropical flake food. The betta pellets ended up going in the big tank, where the 'bows loved them. Betta is thriving on the flake food.

I do occasionally indulge both tanks with some frozen blood worms, which the fish love (but strictly speaking don't require.) Oddly, none seem very interested in frozen brine shrimp. I add algae wafers to the big tank for the ottos and ancistrus and occasionally a wafer or blanched sweet potato. The latter is probably more than just a treat; it's a good idea to be sure they're all getting enough to eat.
Teebo likes this.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 09:20 PM
Banned

A meme is born.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 12:04 AM
Algae Grower

Bug Bites, Omega One and Northfin
Teebo likes this.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My betta had only been fed bloodworms before I bought him, so I spent about 2 months weaning him off those as he was not impressed with anything else I offered.

He's now on JBL Novo Betta flake 3(ish) times a week, high-protein pellets twice (ish) a week, and a frozen food once a week, either mysis shrimp/brine shrimp/daphnia. Bloodworms are good too, but I can't feed in my main tank due to stocking, so I don't buy those in. He also has 1 starve day per week.

Like @DaveKS, I click above the tank to let him know that food's coming, and he'll come straight up to his "food corner." I've really focused on it with him as he's progressively going blind due to excess scale growth covering his eyes, a genetic disorder that can be found in dragonscale bettas. He should be able to navigate even after his sight is completely gone, so the clicking will alert him that food's coming.
Teebo likes this.

Journal

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 05:03 PM
Banned

In fairness, if I was a betta, and especially if I was Grumpy Betta, I'd hate giving up my bloodworms, too.
Thelongsnail likes this.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

haha I used to have a Grumpy Betta a few years ago I even named him Mr. Grumpy Pants, that is how I got into this hobby to begin with.

Wow this Bug Bites stuff is really popular. I left the hobby for about a year-ish gave away thousands of dollars worth of stuff, kept not even a single fish net or test tube only to relapse a few weeks ago. SO this time...gonna get "just a little tanked" and keep it simple because it was much more enjoyable at the beginning of this hobby. What I am getting at is this Bug Bite stuff was not popular when I left the hobby. I see the LFS pushing "Betta Formula" but it sounds like most of you are just using a size variation of the "Tropical Formula" which makes sense because I have always read stay away from anything marketed for Bettas by any company, period.

I always shut my pump off during feeding, but I am surprised nobody else is throwing up NLS I thought that was the best of the best. Those freeze dried bloodworms are like potato chips for fish. I had my Betta trained to respond to the pump being shut off and lightly tapping the rim of the tank with the back of my fingernail.
Thelongsnail likes this.

-
-
-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode