• 1 Post By Squisher
  • 1 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM
Guppy burned mouth

I got 4 male guppys and had them in quarantine for a week. They ate everything I gave them, colored up nicely and are very active. I put them in my 5 gallon tank last night which already had 2 amano shrimp and 3 nerite snails. They had a couple hours to explore the tank and eat some algae before the lights went out.

This morning one male has protruding, very white lips. He can't seem to open and close his mouth very well. I think he may have been pecking at the heater, trying to get to the light inside. He seems to be able to breathe. I did a water change and added some melafix in hopes of helping him feel better.

I am glad I did the quarantine, made sure he got food into him before this happened. I am hoping his mouth heals up so he can eat.

My roommate says I'll die by giant turtle.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 05:06 PM
Algae Grower

I don't have the vast experience or knowledge of many here. But if it were me I'd put that fish back into quarantine and heal/monitorl him there.
Discusluv likes this.

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 206 canister and ac30 hob filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
I don't have the vast experience or knowledge of many here. But if it were me I'd put that fish back into quarantine and heal/monitorl him there.
Second this. Doubt if they are burnt lips.

Melafix works as very mild antiseptic and has little application for most things. If you have a product with methelyne blue that would be far more effective.

this may simply be bacteria and mild fungus, but it may also be cotton-mouth which is far more serious.

Try the milder treatments for 24 hours and re-access.

Im ssuming the quarantine tank was cycled or you did frequent water changes so fish were not exposed to ammonia or nitrite?
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The quarantine tank is a bare 1 gallon bowl and I did a 50% water change daily. I took today to bleach it so I can have a clean space for the guppy to stay.

It doesn't look like a fungus. The white lips "damage" looks pretty uniform around the mouth. Which is why I thought it might be from touching the heater. It amazes me that it got so bad overnight.

I will have to go to the store and buy new medicine. I don't have methelyne blue and the other medicines I have are well past expiration date.

Would a salt bath help? I have both jungle aquarium salt and API aquarium salt.

He has been exhibiting lethargic behavior today. Hanging out at the top, moving very slowly, his mouth always at the surface. Complete 180 from the wiggly fish I put in yesterday.

The 3 other fish are not showing any symptoms.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I would leave the fish be until tomorrow- it has already had a dose of m
Melafix for a mild antibacterial and salt will just be redundant at this point.
It will probably not make it until morning from the way it sounds. Lethargy is not good.
Still, put fish in quarantine and watch your other fish for similar symptoms.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I gave all four fish individual salt baths, since all the fish have been together since the store. One of the healthy fish seems to be flashing. The current temp of the tank is 71, so I am slowly raising it to treat for ich. I do not have a secondary hospital tank.

The poor sick fish can't seem to close his mouth at all. He will hang vertically for awhile and suddenly swim around the bowl. Maybe I should end his suffering? I have a bottle of clove oil.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The sick guppy died around 10:30pm. I have never seen a fish get sick and die so quickly.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 05:48 AM
Algae Grower

Sorry to hear that. I'm treating a sick angel right now myself. Most on here can probably relate its stressful and often sad when a fish passes.

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 206 canister and ac30 hob filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you to everyone who has been giving advice. I appreciate it.

I've had 5 or 6 bettas that were relatively healthy except for constipation issues and a group of glowlight tetras that I had no issues with. So this is really the first time I have dealt with a dangerous illness.

Tags
burn, guppy, injury, mouth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode