Suggestions on stocking a 250 gallon tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Suggestions on stocking a 250 gallon tank

My 250 gallon aquarium has cylced and after three months now we feel it has seasoned and stabilized enough to start to stock with a substantial number of fish.
The tank went through a brown aglae, total green water episode and a hetrotropic white out phase too. We're assuming that a healthy amount of various strains of good bacteria have established themselves now. since the water has become crystal clear for weeks now folowing the last eposode.

My wife and I are leaning towards getting around 20-25 lamb chop rasboras, or harlequin rasboras for a start. Maybe 20 neon tetras too. We were looking for some suggestions on other fish that would compliment them and be compatible. We have snails and would like to keep them so no snail eating fish. The tank is 24" tall so it would be nice to fill the water column with specific fish to inhabit the top, middle and bottom if possible.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

100 pseudomugil paskai (try and find local stock / breeders)

or 250 chili rasboras....

What are the tank dimensions?

Weekly Doses - NO3 - 5ppm / K - 6ppm / PO4 - 0.5ppm / PPS-Pro Micro's - 0.35ppm Fe / 75 PAR, 7 hours, 25% weekly water change
My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It is a Marineland Deep Dimension tank: 60'x 36"x24"

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Your options are endless with a tank of that size, it really depends one what you like - lots of small fish, a community of medium / small fish, or a few larger fish.

Depends on your tank maintenance routine as well.

Weekly Doses - NO3 - 5ppm / K - 6ppm / PO4 - 0.5ppm / PPS-Pro Micro's - 0.35ppm Fe / 75 PAR, 7 hours, 25% weekly water change
My 30g Journal:

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Your options are endless with a tank of that size, it really depends one what you like - lots of small fish, a community of medium / small fish, or a few larger fish.

Depends on your tank maintenance routine as well.
What do you mean by tank maintenance routine? I change 50% water each week. It's a heavily planted tank.

I would like to get fish that won't outcompete each other for food so I won't have to overfeed. Fish with similar temperments and aggression levels.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Oh the amazing possibilities.

Would you be able to share a picture of the tank?

Besides filling the water column, what are you looking to achieve? A sense of scale with smaller fish, or lots of activity with something larger, such as rainbow fish?

|

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Oh the amazing possibilities.

Would you be able to share a picture of the tank?

Besides filling the water column, what are you looking to achieve? A sense of scale with smaller fish, or lots of activity with something larger, such as rainbow fish?
Here's a pic. I havent had much luck with displaying pics on this site. I hope it's viewable.
deeda, hbosman, Greggz and 8 others like this.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 03:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidgarden View Post

My wife and I are leaning towards getting around 20-25 lamb chop rasboras, or harlequin rasboras for a start. Maybe 20 neon tetras too.
I'd say in a tank that size you'd want to start with much larger groups of small fish like that. 20 rasboras or tetras could go essentially un-noticed!
Quagulator likes this.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 04:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Here's a pic. I havent had much luck with displaying pics on this site. I hope it's viewable.
Looks great! For photo hosting, I personally do not use TPT's hosting. I'll either use a 3rd party like Imgur or Tapatalk (if I am on my phone).

As for stocking, personally that tank would be fantastic with rainbowfish (and I am not just saying that because that is what my tank is). The size of a 120 will let you keep a great variety of a rewarding fish!

It also lets you keep many other types of fish with them.
Liquidgarden likes this.

|

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Oh boy!

What would I put? I mean suggestions and recommendations really get to what other people like...

Mid-tier
10 Altum Angels or 12 discus
32 Flame back Bleeding heart tetras
Top Tier
24 small Marble Hatchet fish or 12 Large Spotted Hachetfish
Bottom
15 brochis splendens or corydoras sterbei

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 04:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Oh boy!

What would I put? I mean suggestions and recommendations really get to what other people like...

Mid-tier
10 Altum Angels or 12 discus
32 Flame back Bleeding heart tetras
Top Tier
24 small Marble Hatchet fish or 12 Large Spotted Hachetfish
Bottom
15 brochis splendens or corydoras sterbei
Oh those angels would be fantastic in this tank. You are really good at putting these lists together!
Discusluv and Liquidgarden like this.

|

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Generally, I'd say stay away from two equally sized schools of fish. They'll just compete with one another visually and wash each other out.

Go with one large school of one species for the middle tier, and then build smaller groups of accent fish around that. Sounds like your top two schooling fish are lab chop/harlequin rasboras and neon tetras.

Personally I'd vote for rasboras over neons since neons are so common, and then build an Asian tank around that:

-40/50 harlequin rasboras for the middle
-10 pearl gouramis for the surface
-2 groups of 12/15 larger accent barbs for the middle (black ruby, Odessa, rosy, Denison)
-loaches for the bottom (botia, chain, etc.)

I've never kept a big tank so it's difficult for me to come up with exact numbers. Good luck.
Desert Pupfish likes this.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 07:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

This stuff is so subjective I have no idea what you like but since you are already thinking lamb chop rasboras I do love those and agree with others saying that just 20-25 would be lost in a tank that size. I would go with 100 and then live with that for a while and see if you want to add more in the future. Rainbowfish or barbs would be a good companion for them.

ETA: if you are unsure if you will be happy how a big school of a certain fish will look in your tank I high suggest checking out Youtube videos and seeing something similar in action. Should be plenty with big schools of rasboras in planted tanks.

Last edited by Triport; 12-06-2019 at 07:48 PM. Reason: added note
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Hey @Liquidgarden good to see you post a picture of this beast!

Tank is really coming along nicely. One of the best starts I have seen.

Time for you to start a journal! I know myself and I am sure many others would like to follow along on this journey.

Now as to stocking...........well I think you already know what I would recommend!

---
---
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Now as to stocking...........well I think you already know what I would recommend!
Guppies?!

No wait..... I've got this, uhm.....

My 30g Journal:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode