• 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By Squisher
  • 1 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Angelfish advice.

I have a sick juvenile angelfish who I've had quarantined for a week now.

I have been uncertain what was wrong with it as I had just got it. It started to become more and more skittish/aloof. Always hiding. And it's appetite has steadily decreased until it's not visibly eating much of anything if at all. And then today I saw a white stringy poop and have noticed it's respiration is quick seeming. He has no outward signs of issues, no ich, marks, or blemishes of any kind besides his pelvic feelers were somewhat chewed back by his tankmates at the store. But they have been steadily growing back during the last week. So I suspect internal parasites.

Which leads to the issue. I'm in Canada and all meds for internal parasites for fish are no longer for sale. I could find nothing local today. Checked all lfs, drugstore(where I get dog, cat, and horse wormer) and local vets. No go.

My quarantine tank is a well established 10g and always tests O for both ammonia and nitrites, nitrates I don't let get out of hand ever I've done two 40% water changes this week. Ph7.5. I also have three oto cats in the tank too who all appear healthy, good color, and active.

So the only thing I've been able to figure out to do is feeding with garlic and Epsom salt(3% solution) infused food. I mixed the stuff up and soaked some bloodworms and flake food in it. Today was the first time and I think he(or she, who knows, I just call him a he) ate a couple of pieces, maybe. My plan is to attempt this for three days and if there is no improvement or eating I'm considering trying to administer the Epsom salt 3% solution orally with a small pipet with a flexible end. I've read the Epsom salt solution is my best bet for a natural attempt at internal parasite removal.

Interested in any advice, especially on the pipet plan. Sound plan or stupid idea?. Really pulling for the little guy. I just hate to lose him. I have ordered some API general cure from south of the line, but it will be atleast a week out if it makes it at all.

Last edited by Squisher; 12-05-2019 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 04:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
You are on the right track. Epsom salt can be just as effective for flagellates as flagyl/metronidazole.
I am linking a very thorough thread for you to read that will give you all the information you need to know going forward.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...ucleus.339362/
Squisher likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you for that link. The info I had read was 2nd hand info passed on from that very discussion I think. But no link to it was provided and I hadn't been able to find it. So this will be very useful to me. I'm off to work here shortly but will be diving into the details when I get back home.

It may come to light when I read through that thread but if it comes to it I'm feeeling somewhat nervous about the pipet feeding of the solution. I've never handled my fish ever. So I was thinking lay it on a wet towel, hold it gently with one hand and insert the pipet just barely. I was guessing very little like 1 or 2 ml? Obviously being as efficient as possible and returning him to the water as quickly as possible. I'm concerned that he will flinch/convulse and I'll end up squirting the solution on him instead of in him. Still really hoping it doesn't come to any of this and he just accepts some food and starts to recover.
Discusluv likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
Thank you for that link. The info I had read was 2nd hand info passed on from that very discussion I think. But no link to it was provided and I hadn't been able to find it. So this will be very useful to me. I'm off to work here shortly but will be diving into the details when I get back home.

It may come to light when I read through that thread but if it comes to it I'm feeeling somewhat nervous about the pipet feeding of the solution. I've never handled my fish ever. So I was thinking lay it on a wet towel, hold it gently with one hand and insert the pipet just barely. I was guessing very little like 1 or 2 ml? Obviously being as efficient as possible and returning him to the water as quickly as possible. I'm concerned that he will flinch/convulse and I'll end up squirting the solution on him instead of in him. Still really hoping it doesn't come to any of this and he just accepts some food and starts to recover.
Dont worry, the epsom salt will not hurt the fish. Keep another pipette next to you filled with tank water. If a bit of salt water gets on the fish, just squirt area with the tank water to dilute. But, even at that (unless the Epsom salt goes into the eyes, in which case you will want to flush very quickly), the epsom salt will not hurt the fish.

Yes, with the dosage of meds, it takes very little to be effective. Try to get at least 2 ml ingested with pipette, but 1ml is within reason to be effective as well.
Squisher likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Unfortunately there won't be an attempt at tube feeding. I found him getting blown around in the filter current and lying on the bottom this morning appearing to be suffering. So I euthanized him. I had been doing 50% water changes every two days treating with prime and adding pimafix and melafix too the last few days. All water parameters were testing good. Ph 7.2 ammonia and nitrite 0 and nitrate maybe 5-10ppm before changes. The three otocinclus all still appear perfectly healthy but I will keep them quarantined for a week or two just in case. Had been keeping temp 81-82 but will back it off to 78-79 now. I didn't want to crank it way up as I'd read 82 was the upper comfort zone for the cats.

We had gotten two angels at the same time as part of the initial stocking of our fishless cycled bowfront aquarium. We added four swords(3female and 1male) two Kuhli loaches, 7 red eye tetras and the two angels as the initial stocking. All other fish are thriving. And all testing showed no levels of ammonia or nitrite. This angel just looked poor from the beginning. Kind of kicking myself as I had been adamant about picking the koi angel(the survivor in the main tank) but hadn't looked as closely at the silver the one we lost. When I got them home and released them I could see he looked pretty beat up, pelvic fins nipped back to the thicker parts and some roughed up scales but not badly. He then proceeded to slough what looked like his entire slime coat and wasn't eating. So I moved him to the quarantine tank which is where two of the swords and the kuhli loaches had lived for the last seven months so it was well cycled and has consistently tested cycled. I knew two angels may be pushing it in the 45g but we wanted to try. I think we'll just stick with the one now though. Besides adding the oto cats we have no other plans for additional fish at this point. Just more plants!

I'd hoped he'd pull through but having no access to internal parasite medicine I think kind of made it a tough go. Still think that was the issue but I wasn't in to doing a autopsy.

I do appreciate the input and help though. I had hoped for awhile I could get him through it.

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 2 x 206 canister filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode