2Likes
  • 1 Post By stevewb
  • 1 Post By stevewb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can’t link deaths together

So relative recently I’ve had a string of deaths pretty far apart and I can’t seem to correlate them to anything specific. I don’t have a wealth of knowledge so all I can do is do the most reading I can and draw up a conclusion. Hopefully somebody will read this and think it’s simple

I initially though water parameters, although not ideal they’re reasonable. PH stays around 8 nitrites and ammonia at zero always. Nitrate around 10. I cut feeding to see what it would do but to no avail.

Case #1 Von Rio Flame tetra. Swim bladder. No bloating nothing appeared wrong with him externally. Stayed active and eating. Tried peas no help

Case #2 Neon Tetra. Severe bloating. Peas again. Treatments make me uneasy I have no qt at the moment but will soon.

Case #3 another Neon. Seemed fin. All of them looked healthy one just disappeared.

Case #4 isn’t a death but it’s our Pear Gourami, Paul. I noticed today a spot near his head. Not sure if it’s related but I think it’s worth mentioning.
I’ve attached a picture of him. He cooperated nicely. I can’t seem to relate it but maybe it’s there

Case #5 Platy not deceased. Every so often I notice him flick. I watch them a lot, but maybe once every week or two I’ll catch him doing it

Case #6 a different Platy. Three days of being extremely lethargic before death. No external signs of anything.

Every so often somebody would have a stringy poo. But haven’t seen any of that since most of this began happening. All good poos recently.

All thoughts welcome, thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0393555A-BE07-47FB-8B48-DCB83F20A6BC_1575507278841.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	890265  

Name:	780A059A-F26D-4464-B15F-156CEE1E2EB1_1575507296577.jpg
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	890267  

Name:	5377462A-67F9-4224-AB18-B183914D8452_1575507315635.jpg
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	890269  

Name:	DBA83A8E-814F-42C2-89E0-506CBEB1FB6C_1575507329138.jpg
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	890271  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
If your water parameters have stayed as you list, 0/0/>10 then the issue is not with water quality. Thats pretty much perfect.

What is left over is an introduced pathogen or stress from incompatibility between or aggression within species/unknown environmental stress ( nutrition, excess fertilizers, improper use of Co2, etc...) .

You may have more than one issue happening as well, that is possible when fish become stressed and you have multiple species that have unique vulnerabilities.

Have your fish been dewormed? I would start there because this is a common malady that can go unnoticed and cause both internal issues and secondary external issues.
I would recommend treating with General Cure due to these symptoms: bloating, swim-bladder issues, lethargy. The fin rot and external issues on gourami could be secondary issues due to lowering of immunity from internal parasites.
For the external symptoms on these fish, I would dip in methelyne blue to control bacteria/fungus.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
If your water parameters have stayed as you list, 0/0/>10 then the issue is not with water quality. Thats pretty much perfect.

What is left over is an introduced pathogen or stress from incompatibility between or aggression within species/unknown environmental stress ( nutrition, excess fertilizers, improper use of Co2, etc...) .

You may have more than one issue happening as well, that is possible when fish become stressed and you have multiple species that have unique vulnerabilities.

Have your fish been dewormed? I would start there because this is a common malady that can go unnoticed and cause both internal issues and secondary external issues.
I would recommend treating with General Cure due to these symptoms: bloating, swim-bladder issues, lethargy. The fin rot and external issues on gourami could be secondary issues due to lowering of immunity from internal parasites.
For the external symptoms on these fish, I would dip in methelyne blue to control bacteria/fungus.
There’s no major aggression that I’ve seen. Every so often the gourami will make room for himself. The neons every so often go at it within each other. Same with serapes. But light skirmishes.

Never have dewormed and that’s what I was thinking, but wanted it said. As well as a recommended product. And I’m especially glad it came from you. I’ve already dialed back my ferts, which were about 2/3 ei. But I will dial my CO2 back as well. I didn’t think I was injecting that much, but, since Paul is in the mix now, let’s go

I like to think I take care of my water for them, 1x 50% and 1x20% WC a week but I really need to qt new fish. New IM tank on the way. Thinking the old tank will be allocated for that
Discusluv likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Let me know how its going or if have any questions.
Really need to treat with these meds for 10 days total. Im pretty sure that General Cure is a 5 day treatment, so do 2 rounds. I typically get the metronidazole and the praziquantel separate, so forget what the dosing is for the General Cure. Whatever it is, dose every other day for 10 days.
Feeding in food is best because the metronidazole breaks down pretty quickly in water. Also, if can use a product like Knox gelatine to bind the medicine to the food it helps the medicine stay stable longer when it hits water column until it is ingested by fish.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Discusluv everything seems to be going well. The tetras seem to be a little more active. Guppies are still gupping.

Whatever was on the gourami seems to have resolved itself. I never ended up doing anything for it.

B2F0935E-1C28-4AA1-A4F0-6861FAB7391B by Steven, on Flickr

Thank you
Discusluv likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Your welcome

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode