Male or Female betta - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Male or Female betta

Hi, this Betta was sold to me as a female but is way more aggressive than my others. I'm wondering if someone can confirm if it's male or female for me

not sure why my pictures attached upside down.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191202_220355_1575342519921.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	890233  

Last edited by yamala; 12-04-2019 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 03:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Easiest way to tell a male from female in short finned varieties is females will have an "egg spot". A little white sort of bump by their vent. Compare this fish to your other females to see if they all have it.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Can definitely see the white spot on my other Bettas.

Can't quite see it on this one, although it's hard since the belly is naturally white.It looks like the fins just continue over that area

If it is a male, is it possible the aggression will die down? It's been 3 days so far and some of the females are looking a little beat up.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 03:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

How big is the tank? Are their places for them to hide? Some people are very against housing different sexes together. Others feel that it is OK as long as the tank is large enough, there are hiding places, and you are ready to remove the male if needed.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank is a 50 gallon.

It is heavily planted, but the front half is quite open as it's mostly carpeting plants there.

The back is planted to the top.

For hiding, it would mostly be in the plants or in a pile of rocks where they can get into the cracks

The Betta was calmer days 1 and 2 but today the aggression has really picked up, hence my questioning the gender. I'm hoping this is a temporary thing and it may calm back down, is this something Bettas do? If it stays this aggressive, I don't think it can stay in the tank.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 09:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have 5 female Bettas in a 46 and there is aggression and flaring sometimes but never to the point of torn or ripped fins. Mostly the ignore each other and have their own little territories. Males will be more violent to females but again some people do keep them together successfully. But there is much more risk involved and others think it should not be done except for breeding and only under careful supervision.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 12:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've never done a sorority, but I've always been told that its hard to add new bettas to a sorority because of aggression issues and all fish should be added at the same time in the sorority. /shrug this is kind of exactly what I have heard would happen. Maybe others who have tried it can confirm?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That has been my experience previously, the Bettas would flare and posture but never to the extent of torn fins. This one however has torn the fins of two others. I have him/her floating in a container for now. I will try introducing again after some time and maybe give it away if it doesn't work.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Can't tell from the blurry photo, but I will say not all bettas are alike.
I have a female (solo) that flares more than several of my previous males. She's over a year old and full grown so I know its a she.
On the subject I bought what I thought was a female several years back at the store, turns out it was a very young male. He grew into a beautiful fish (and an aggressive one-no tank mates for him).

How did you introduce the girls to eachother?
I had a sorority for a while 8 or 9 in a 20g long (very densely planted), started with all the girls in lidded cups (daily w/c) in a 10g shallow filled with submerged heater to keep them warm. I rotated the cups around so everyone got to see/get use to eachother. They went through a 1 month qt like that.
All release into the tank at once-tank was extremely densely planted.
You should not be able to see the opposite walls glass from any view you look in-best for the sorority to have hiding places everywhere from the dense planting. Mine did well until the alpha got sick (and died in qt). The others fought over restructured hierarchy and it got nasty-real bad damage to each other- so I had to separate them.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Very cool colors.

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 12-04-2019 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Edit
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Can't tell from the blurry photo, but I will say not all bettas are alike.
I have a female (solo) that flares more than several of my previous males. She's over a year old and full grown so I know its a she.
On the subject I bought what I thought was a female several years back at the store, turns out it was a very young male. He grew into a beautiful fish (and an aggressive one-no tank mates for him).

How did you introduce the girls to eachother?
I had a sorority for a while 8 or 9 in a 20g long (very densely planted), started with all the girls in lidded cups (daily w/c) in a 10g shallow filled with submerged heater to keep them warm. I rotated the cups around so everyone got to see/get use to eachother. They went through a 1 month qt like that.
All release into the tank at once-tank was extremely densely planted.
You should not be able to see the opposite walls glass from any view you look in-best for the sorority to have hiding places everywhere from the dense planting. Mine did well until the alpha got sick (and died in qt). The others fought over restructured hierarchy and it got nasty-real bad damage to each other- so I had to separate them.
I originally had 5 Bettas (and a dozen or so small guppies, I can't seem to get rid of them) which have been doing great for around 3 months, no real aggression. I recently picked up 4 more, I floated them for a day and then released. 3 of them have been getting along fine with the others, this last one I have back floating in a containing for now.

The tank is not so planted that you can't see opposite walls of glass..unless looking from the front. I'll add some floating plants before I try reintroducing. Would you say my chances of success are higher the longer I keep it him floating in the container?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 06:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The female betta I ended up with was a koi betta like the one you have picture of. She looked similar. She was also the most aggressive fish Ive had recently. I had her in a 40B with other community type fish (neons, mollys, corys, regular male betta.....). She chased the mollys and neons, she kept the male betta at far end of tank but luckily he was very mild mannered and she spent most of her time bugging the other fish.

Tried putting her in my 10g after saw her chasing down the shrimps (adult shrimp). She almost killed the male betta in the 10g.

Gifted her to a friend at work and he had to put her in a smallish tank by herself. Forgot what other fish he had but it didnt work out. She did fine apparently with her own tank.

Just my experience.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
The female betta I ended up with was a koi betta like the one you have picture of. She looked similar. She was also the most aggressive fish Ive had recently. I had her in a 40B with other community type fish (neons, mollys, corys, regular male betta.....). She chased the mollys and neons, she kept the male betta at far end of tank but luckily he was very mild mannered and she spent most of her time bugging the other fish.

Tried putting her in my 10g after saw her chasing down the shrimps (adult shrimp). She almost killed the male betta in the 10g.

Gifted her to a friend at work and he had to put her in a smallish tank by herself. Forgot what other fish he had but it didnt work out. She did fine apparently with her own tank.

Just my experience.
Thanks, I guess at this point Male/Female doesnt really matter as the aggression is there.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamala View Post
I originally had 5 Bettas (and a dozen or so small guppies, I can't seem to get rid of them) which have been doing great for around 3 months, no real aggression. I recently picked up 4 more, I floated them for a day and then released. 3 of them have been getting along fine with the others, this last one I have back floating in a containing for now.

The tank is not so planted that you can't see opposite walls of glass..unless looking from the front. I'll add some floating plants before I try reintroducing. Would you say my chances of success are higher the longer I keep it him floating in the container?
If its a male no-take it out. Even if its a female some are so aggressive they just can't be kept in a sorority. Mine broke down because the alpha was keeping my real aggressive 1 in line (until she died).
Also if you add new fish to a sorority you should pull and cup/float everyone and rearrange the tank as much as you can so no one has pre-claimed territory and its all 'new' to everyone when all released together.

Personally I'd just give the mean one its own tank, but that's just my opinion.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
It’s a female. She has a nice plump body, shaped pretty differently than a male and her fins aren’t like even a plakat males.

Eheim Pimp #475

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode