Red spot on Dwarf Neon Rainbow - The Planted Tank Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Red spot on Dwarf Neon Rainbow

I've recently quarantined one of my Dwarf Neon Rainbow males with a red spot on his side. It doesn't appear to be growing in size or color. No fungus or anything external that I can detect. What should I do?

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
That looks like a scale injury.
The important thing is to keep the wound clean with daily water changes ( at least 25%) and some added salt.
Add 1 tsp of non-iodized salt per 5 gallons of water to aquarium { make sure to dissolve the salt in a cup of tank-water before adding to aquarium}and observe for 3 days. Make sure add back salt take out through water changes.
If you start to see any fungal growth, treat with a product containing metheleyne blue in addition to salt.
If the fish is not eating or showing signs of weakness-- that's a different story and the treatment will include antibiotics.
Scapegoat79 and Ken Keating1 like this.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for the response. I ordered some metheleyne blue just in case.

Do you recommend any fish with a scale injury or "nick" from rough housing should be quarantined and treated this way? Or only if it shows a fungal infection or sign of weskness/not eating?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 04:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat79 View Post
Thank you for the response. I ordered some metheleyne blue just in case.

Do you recommend any fish with a scale injury or "nick" from rough housing should be quarantined and treated this way? Or only if it shows a fungal infection or sign of weskness/not eating?

This injury in particular looks like it could become easily infected with secondary bacteria/fungus. I would recommend keeping it as clean as possible. If you can do the water changes and salt in the display tank- that's fine too.

Anything further than that will need to be done in quarantine.
Scapegoat79 and Ken Keating1 like this.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I guess I was referring to injuries like these on my Kamaka Rainbowfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
make sure to dissolve the salt in a cup of tank-water before adding to aquarium
Why is that? I've always wondered and never thought it made a difference one way or the other...

Thanks!

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-22-2019 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 04:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I guess I was referring to injuries like these on my Kamaka Rainbowfish.

In this one I do not see red - exposed- tissue like see in first photo.
Scapegoat79 likes this.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool. You've been a big help. I'll report back if anything changes.

Thank you again.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 03:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Why is that? I've always wondered and never thought it made a difference one way or the other...

Thanks!

You don't want them to come into contact directly with the salt crystals as it could lead to salt burn. It's just safer to dissolve the salt ahead of time.
Scapegoat79 and Discusluv like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi @Scapegoat79

I saw your post last night and my initial thought was a bruise. However, I took it to the next level and sent your picture one of our local club members who has a degree in ichthyology and this is what he said:

Quote:
It could be an injury, but since rainbows are prone to bacterial ulcer infections (including Mycobacterium) I would worry.

If that's a hospital tank I would add salt and keep the pH above 7.2
I would dab the wound with a disinfectant like Methylene Blue, and if I had an antibiotic handy I think I would use that too, and even rub it INTO the wound.
When it starts to heal it should look less red with perhaps a black outline.
Hope this helps!
-Roy

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @Scapegoat79

I saw your post last night and my initial thought was a bruise. However, I took it to the next level and sent your picture one of our local club members who has a degree in ichthyology and this is what he said:

Hope this helps!
-Roy
Excellent! Thanks Roy!

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @Scapegoat79

Hope this helps!

-Roy
Thanks Roy, I appreciate that. I've got some salt in the water (about 2 tsp in a 10 gallon tank) and will add some metheleyne blue as soon as it arrives. Not sure how I feel about taking the fish out of water and applying medicine directly... Or is that what every budding fish keeper says right before they jump down the rabbit hole and do it anyways?

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 05:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Thanks Roy, I appreciate that. I've got some salt in the water (about 2 tsp in a 10 gallon tank) and will add some metheleyne blue as soon as it arrives. Not sure how I feel about taking the fish out of water and applying medicine directly... Or is that what every budding fish keeper says right before they jump down the rabbit hole and do it anyways?

I've personally never had to do it, but I would.

|
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have definitely applied methelyne blue directly to wounds a time or two, but never antibiotics. For applying metheleyne blue directly to wounds I use either a q-tip or draw the meth blue from bottle with one of those plastic thingy's use in API testers to draw water from aquarium to be tested ( name?). I then poor the meds on wound. Have a towel handy that you dont care about because this will stain. The fish also needs to be on something soft in case flops around.

The antibiotics applied directly to wound?-- an excellent idea. However, I would worry about dosage. How much would you use? And wouldn't dosage amount be determined by the type used? You start to get into the areas where a veterinarian would be needed to determine dosage of particular antibiotic to be safe for the fish treating.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 01:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:

I've had to give a fish injections and I have no background in anything like that. It might not be that bad to ease it barely out of the water in a net and dab the side with a q-tip.
Good luck!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Unfortunately, nothing has changed after trying two doses of the Methylene Blue along with some Salt.

Not sure how to proceed except maybe applying the Methylene Blue directly to the wound. I would have expected to see at least some improvement by dosing the water...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode